Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy, The Preacher, has a bone stock YJ which has been parked at his dad's place for over 20 years. Preacher's Dad decided to commendeer Preacher's Jeep and "upgrade it" with a lift, winch, tires, wheels, the whole deal. I asked why because you almost never see bone stock YJ's anymore and they are only original once. Why not keep a classic car classic?

1) Am I the only one who is a sucker for bone stock old YJ Jeeps? I love stock flat fenders, CJ5, Jeepsters, Comanche, J10 anything that is still original.

2) Is there a "must do" upgrade for the stock YJ for safety or performance?

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
there a "must do" upgrade for the stock YJ for safety or performance
Change all the spring bushings and remove the track bars and it will ride smoother. And still be safe.
Replace the vacuum axle disconnect parts and hoses with new as after sitting 20 years it may not be dependable with 30-year-old parts.
Service the brakes, new fluid, etc. including disassembling calipers and rear drums to clean and inspect, lube calipers. That’s a safetything.

·
Typical /f12 Hooligan
6,936 Posts
get the cheapest lift kit you can find.
get the biggest tires you can get
method rims of any type
3" body lift to fit the tires
1.5" Tranfer case drop
any off brand Amazon double steering damper you can find
Then get any clapped out 5.3L or 5.9L
any high mileage auto trans that will fit

once all these parts assembled, get hood louver on first.

In all honesty, I think everyone here loves stock YJs until they go wheeling with properly built rigs.

@fishadventure had it right to start.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I like stock YJ's. If the stock was good looking to begin with, lol. I've seen some that have little steal wheels and tires that look like they belong on a Hyaundai Elantra, those I'm not a fan of.

But Boojo's is good looking, I had a 93? IIRC, back in the day, stock, white Laredo, and looked alot like his. I liked it stock.

Mine isn't stock, but I tried to keep it sort of "upgraded stock" looking, like as if had Dealer Installed Options, or maybe I should say Era specific? Dunno, not wild at all, and on purpose.
Automotive parking light Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle

While I don't mind hood louvers and stuff, there are millions of Jeeps in the Tampa Bay area, and they all have that, mean face grills, fenders missing, stickers (Jeep names, hand prints, hers not his, etc) and rows of ducks on the dash (I think people buy their own ducks, lol), side "armor" black plating, black rims, and every other thing you can slap on it from 4WD.com, lol. Anyhow, I wanted to be different. And YJ's here are either the sad stock ones with tiny wheels and not loved, or slaughtered up YJ's with above mentioned stuff.

A nice and clean YJ, in even close to stock form is a nice sight to see, IMHO.

It's like Tattoos, wanna be original? Nowadays, don't have Tattoos, lol.

·
Registered
1994 Wrangler SE
7 Posts
Keeping it pure is my vote. I've had people comment about my YJ and mention how nice and clean it is by not being all tricked out. In 15 months it becomes an antique. Never thought when we bought it back then we would still have it.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
My 87 is bone stock except for the newly added winch and it is on 30x9:50s. I am considering, leaning towards, meh, I am pretty sure that I am going to do one more mod. I have a brand new set of 2.5" OME springs on my 94 roller. I will probably put them on the 87 and then put my original springs in storage which do not sag. It is easily reversible. I may then put a set of 31s on it but stay with 9:50s. Just give it a little more attitude. Part of the reason for this is I am wanting 4" springs on the 94. Why not make Daisy look a little tougher in the mean time?

I get tons of comments and looks in my stock Jeep. I have even gotten ducked. It is a cruiser, it rides surprisingly well. We off road a little bit but only mild and scenic trails. It is coming into the time of the year that we use it the most. Fall color tour rides. We go for some long ones.

My 87 has all the original BBDII emissions, carb, distributor, etc. and runs very well. A special thanks goes out to @Chrisnvegas for recognizing me as the dude that would appreciate this Jeep and keep her going without molesting her. Another special thanks to @jbolty for hooking me up with a ton of original BBDII parts to have backups if any ofmy unobtainable parts ever fail. There are a couple of other forum members that I have purchased back up BBDII carbs from to have even more back up parts. I love opening the hood and having 1987 stare you in the face. The way it was from the beginning. BBDII really is a terrible system and I fully understand why people nutter them etc. But.... I did a ton of research and learning. It is a computer controlled carb but is very different as an overall system from the stuff I learned and worked on when that stuff was current. When they work right, they do run well. One of the very first people I showed this Jeep to when I brought it back to Michigan does all the restoration work for a multi billionaire and his friends. When he saw how it runs and how complete it is under the hood he said to me that you need to keep it original. This system here is becoming rare.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My 87 is bone stock except for the newly added winch and it is on 30x9:50s. I am considering, leaning towards, meh, I am pretty sure that I am going to do one more mod. I have a brand new set of 2.5" OME springs on my 94 roller. I will probably put them on the 87 and then put my original springs in storage which do not sag. It is easily reversible. I may then put a set of 31s on it but stay with 9:50s. Just give it a little more attitude. Part of the reason for this is I am wanting 4" springs on the 94. Why not make Daisy look a little tougher in the mean time?

I get tons of comments and looks in my stock Jeep. I have even gotten ducked. It is a cruiser, it rides surprisingly well. We off road a little bit but only mild and scenic trails. It is coming into the time of the year that we use it the most. Fall color tour rides. We go for some long ones.

My 87 has all the original BBDII emissions, carb, distributor, etc. and runs very well. A special thanks goes out to @Chrisnvegas for recognizing me as the dude that would appreciate this Jeep and keep her going without molesting her. Another special thanks to @jbolty for hooking me up with a ton of original BBDII parts to have backups if any ofmy unobtainable parts ever fail. There are a couple of other forum members that I have purchased back up BBDII carbs from to have even more back up parts. I love opening the hood and having 1987 stare you in the face. The way it was from the beginning. BBDII really is a terrible system and I fully understand why people nutter them etc. But.... I did a ton of research and learning. It is a computer controlled carb but is very different as an overall system from the stuff I learned and worked on when that stuff was current. When they work right, they do run well. One of the very first people I showed this Jeep to when I brought it back to Michigan does all the restoration work for a multi billionaire and his friends. When he saw how it runs and how complete it is under the hood he said to me that you need to keep it original. This system here is becoming rare.
That comes out to about the lift of mine, 1.5" lift and then a 5/8" shackle lift, IIRC, with 30's.

Hindsight being 20/20, I would've done a 2.5" lift (I wasn't lucky to have OME springs just laying around, lol) with 31's, sometimes my wheel wells look a little open to me.

Daisy's gonna look good!!

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
may then put a set of 31s on it but stay with 9:50
FWIW 31x10.50 AT51s on my 87, no lift, look very “right.” Never mind that the AT51 tire has been the best tire I’ve ever had on a YJ in snow.
Of course the ‘87 needs springs pretty bad and realistically is a negative lift lol…

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,642 Posts
FWIW 31x10.50 AT51s on my 87, no lift, look very “right.” Never mind that the AT51 tire has been the best tire I’ve ever had on a YJ in snow.
Of course the ‘87 needs springs pretty bad and realistically is a negative lift lol…
That's the 2nd time I've read something similar in two weeks about that tire.

I can't lie. My last set (33's) were incredible in the snow, on icy roads, rain, summer, trails. Not loud at all. Duratracs.

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Not loud at all. Duratracs.
I was a Goodyear Wrangler user but before the price doubled I bought the first set of AT51s and was shocked.
I’ve never bought the duratrac edition, but I thoroughly dispised my jeep in snowand started trying alternatives which weren’t any better. The AT51 was among the cheapest tires on Amazon and I had given up expecting more. Until it snowed and the jeep was manageable at normal speeds. I was super pleased.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,642 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I shared this thread with my buddy The Preacher and we appreciate the feed back. The unintended consequence of this thread is my '93 YJ is anything but stock with the rock rash to prove it and I decided I need a stock YJ. What do you know, a stock-ish YJ came up for sale nearby for only $3,800 with 160k miles. Is having two of the same Jeep model a problem? After all they would be different colors. The picture is of the one for sale. I can delete the rock panels and grill guard, the top and doors would be put into permanent storage as Jeeps don't need tops ever, and I can "fix" the rims with stock wheels. The engine is the 2.5 I4, which I don't mind because Jeeps are not designed to go fast. Thoughts on price and anything else?

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
In all honesty, I think everyone here loves stock YJs until they go wheeling with properly built rigs.
Ding, ding, ding!

Even tho I've been around Jeeps (4x4's) my whole life, it wasn't until I got the YJ that this came to fruition. Basically stock with a crappy (how was I to know?) rough country 4" lift, TC drop and 33's. Went up to the mountains with the wifey and tried to climb a 'moderate' hill and could not get up it! WTfreak? That started it all... joined JeepForum and thousands of $$$ later here we are! 😁

1 - 20 of 20 Posts