Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wot's...uh The Deal?
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look at what I made in about 20 minutes.

Its a retrieving magnet with an old off-road light atached to it. It has a hinge to go up and down and it will rotate on the magnet also. It plugs into the cigar lighter. Here's a link to one of the magnets. HF sells one that is similar.
http://www.magnetsource.com/Consumer Pages/Retrieve.html
Learn something new every day, found cow magnets. Who'd a thunk!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
the best light i have ever owned for under the hood has been a retractable light out of a 86 bronco. lemme tell ya if you can find one at a junkyard its something to pick up. theyre usually in a bronco or f150 80's style. theyre retractable and it would reach around to the back of the bronco. would work pissah in a jeep. if i can find a pic ill post it

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
heres the pic. oops i forgot it worked on a mercury switch inside. if you plan on parking on a hill for a while it would suck on the battery. oh well wire a switch onto it and just use your stock underhood lamp to find the switch;) . theres a few on ebay and i guess its like a 20 foot cord

·
1,231 Posts
I made something almost exaclty like that when I upgraded to Silverstars. The old bulbs were still ok so I attached them to a magnet and added a power cord.
VERY usefull tool, and dirt cheap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Speaking of magnets. If you want a free, incredibly strong magnet, take apart an old hard drive from a computer (doesn't matter how old really). The magnets are strong enough that you sometimes have to slide them off of the surface they are on. These suckers are REALLY strong.

I figure a little JB Weld or epoxy would attach a work light to them fairly easy. If the light isn't heavy at all, the magnet should hold it in place through almost anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can buy a small light with a magnet on the back of it at walmart....the front of the light turns to reel in or out the power cord, which plugs into the cigar lighter. Magnet is pretty good on that too, and I think I paid maybe 3.99 for it. Look in the auto dept.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Ive only seen those retractable lights in cherokees..but ,in junk yards here they snip the head off cz of the mercury...Id love to find one..

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
gunthagunth said:
heres the pic. oops i forgot it worked on a mercury switch inside. if you plan on parking on a hill for a while it would suck on the battery. oh well wire a switch onto it and just use your stock underhood lamp to find the switch;) . theres a few on ebay and i guess its like a 20 foot cord
Those lights are out mid 90's GM full size pickups. And I've never seen one with a mercury switch, they have a little "flip" switch. You can see the switch plain as day in the bottom left corner of the light in your pic.

·
Registered
543 Posts
85fiero said:
Those lights are out mid 90's GM full size pickups. And I've never seen one with a mercury switch, they have a little "flip" switch. You can see the switch plain as day in the bottom left corner of the light in your pic.
i believe he is right.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
maybe they just asume its a mercury switch,and just cut the heads off,cuz there isnt a single underhood lamp on any cars or trucks in my local u pull it..

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Well these are mounted to either the inner fenders or the firewall and sometimes they can be easily overlooked. Either that, or people have already snatched them up.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
yeah that was just a quick picture that i pulled up when looking for a pic. the bronco's that were equipped had what i thought was a mercury switch. there was no reel on it either. it was a spring recoil. i know because i owned one. it reached all the way around to the back of the bronco many times. good thing to have.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
What now:laugh: . I knew I wasnt crazy :rofl: .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.