Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a pair of rusted out fender well exit headers on my 79CJ5. The mufflers are 18” glass packs welded to the back of the headers. I was able to trade some stuff I had sitting around this weekend for a set of slightly used set of fender well headers. I would like some feedback from the jeep forum members on what they are using on their similar set up.

Should I go back with a tube type muffler similar to a glass pack, or go to a turbo style muffler? My concern with a traditional muffler is that it will stick out beyond the body of my jeep with bolted to the header collector. If I go with something like a flowmaster, should I get an offset inlet so it is tucked in farther under the body? Stories and pictures are much appreciated.

· Registered
203 Posts
Open sidepipes with turn-outs, sounds great when running through the mud. Actually, I'm running fenderwell headers into 3" sidepipes with turn-outs on my 350 powered CJ5 however, I do have a set of those baffle inserts tacked inside to quiet it down just a little. Before going to the sidepipes a had a pair of short turbo mufflers bolted to the header collectors. Ended up cracking one of the collector flanges so I just cut off both flanges and welded the sidepipes directly to the collectors. Believe it or not, I can still wrestle each header/sidepipe out of the Jeep if I need to. Definately the cheap and easy route. I'm just waiting for these headers to rust out so I can justify buying a set of in the framerail headers and building a full length system.

Attachments

· Registered
1,255 Posts
I have flow master 40 series on my fender well exit 360. Sounds awesome though I will be changing that out soon as the headers will be taking a beating on the rocks.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
I run the glass packs. I think a tube style muffler is the only way to go with side pipes. A square body muffler just looks out of place. I'm looking for something a little quieter myself. I don't often drive my cj to work because I work 2nd shift and it will wake the dead riding through the neighborhood at 11:30

· Registered
186 Posts
I run the glass packs. I think a tube style muffler is the only way to go with side pipes. A square body muffler just looks out of place. I'm looking for something a little quieter myself. I don't often drive my cj to work because I work 2nd shift and it will wake the dead riding through the neighborhood at 11:30

I agree with you and also would like to know if there is a muffler available that is not quite as loud as a side pipe header muffler. I guess traditional tabulation of header plus side pipe = loud. I'm sure people are saying if you don't want it loud then don't run header's, but the side pipe reminds me of all the Jeeps from the early to mid '80's that would make me say "check that Jeep out" when I was a boy. Just something about them I have always liked. :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,758 Posts
I'm thinking about going with the flowmaster hushpower 2 mufflers. They are kinda pricey and a little larger diameter than a glass pack but it should quiet ti down a good bit but keep a deep tone

· Registered
312 Posts
I put the XL Magna Flow's on. They came satin stainless finished but I went ahead and polished them out for a brighter shine. I am really pleased with the sound. It sounds really good at idle and is much quieter during acceleration than the glass pack that I did have on it.

Attachments

· Registered
1,255 Posts
I would go with the smaller diameter unless your motor is built for the higher end of the RPM range and that is where you operate it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.