Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Retired Staff
2004 Jeep Wrangler
72,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I nearly forgot to mention here that I read an announcement a few weeks ago that Mopar released an improved version of the 42RLE transmission pan for the 2006 model year TJ. It holds more ATF for slightly better cooling and it makes it far more difficult for the transmission to suck air on an extremely steep climb. It of course can be installed on earlier TJs that have the 42RLE which started with the 2003 TJ with the 4.0L engine

So if you're in the market for a new pan for your 42RLE automatic transmission or just want the slightly increased capacity, the Jeep dealer can get it for you. I don't have the p/n however, the Jeep dealer's parts department I use to work with is no longer a Jeep dealer.

Unlike the only aftermarket pan for the 42RLE I'm aware of from RockKrawler, the Mopar pan should fit with pretty much any aftermarket skidplate or bellyup skidplate.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
Anyone have this pan? Pic VVV

YourCovers.com 42RLE Transmission Pan

What's strange is that they DO NOT lower the pickup?

Jerry, I've looked all over for the new Mopar pan part number without success. Currently, we overfill by about 1/2 quart (pint) since we had a scary cavitation a couple of years ago.

Attachments

·
This post/info=my opinion
24,202 Posts
I just called the dealer to confirm this. I'm having my 42RLE serviced tomorrow & they will install it. The pan is indeed an upgrade with more capacity. The "unofficial" reason for the change is the cavitation we all know as common to the 42RLE...but Jeep will not admit it since it implies recall issues & major safety concerns. You need a new magnet when replacing the 03-05 pan with the 06 pan.

PN's:

Pan: 52852912AC - $17.25
Magnet: 4446728 - $5.78

·
Super Moderator
2021 Gladiator
27,048 Posts
I just called the dealer to confirm this. I'm having my 42RLE serviced tomorrow & they will install it. The pan is indeed an upgrade with more capacity. The "unofficial" reason for the change is the cavitation we all know as common to the 42RLE...but Jeep will not admit it since it implies recall issues & major safety concerns. You need a new magnet when replacing the 03-05 pan with the 06 pan.

PN's:

List price is only $9.60 on that tranny pan. :laugh:

If it was a plastic interior trim piece, it would be $200.

Automotive lighting Font Audio equipment Automotive design Display device

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
Looks like that pan is for 2007 to 2009 JK's too...

52852912AC $9.60 $0.00 $7.30
Transmission - Transmission components - Trans pan - 42rle
42rle 2007

52852912AC $9.60 $0.00 $7.30
Transmission - Transmission components - Trans pan
Trans pan 2008 - 2009

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

PN's:

Hmmm are you sure???

I have a receipt from dealer dated sep 21 2007 for a replacement pan, magnet, and filter.

pan: 52852912AC 7.50
magnet: 446728 2.45
filter: 5282913AB 19.00

I am pretty sure that the capacity is the same. I sure as hell remember it looking identical to my old pan...except for the slight dent I had in mine.

the new magnet is much smaller and the dimple that it sits in is smaller but I thought everything else looked the same.

I think I still have my old one...I'll have to go look.

·
Registered
582 Posts
you have a 2006...you already have it. :shhh:
Yep, I just left the dealer looking at this pan and measured the deepest corner which is front passenger and the dim. is 3.25". I checked my 06 LJ just now and it is the same. I also checked the dim. on the other 3 corners and those dim. match what is on my LJ. I have never had mine cavitate like others have said even when we are in Moab. If anybody needs the 3 other dim. to check their pan let me know.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yep, I just left the dealer looking at this pan and measured the deepest corner which is front passenger and the dim. is 3.25". I checked my 06 LJ just now and it is the same. I also checked the dim. on the other 3 corners and those dim. match what is on my LJ. I have never had mine cavitate like others have said even when we are in Moab. If anybody needs the 3 other dim. to check their pan let me know.
haha..awesome....I just measured the depth of my old pan.

these dimensions are from the INSIDE of pan to top of pan for OLD pan.

Driver side front = 2.0 inches deep

Passenger side front = 2.5 inches deep

Driver side rear = 1.25 inches deep

Passenger rear = 2.25 inches deep

I cannot imagine they dropped the whole thing an inch. There is just not any room there...especially with a medic skid like mine.

·
Registered
582 Posts
haha..awesome....I just measured the depth of my old pan.

these dimensions are from the INSIDE of pan to top of pan for OLD pan.

Driver side front = 2.0 inches deep

Passenger side front = 2.5 inches deep

Driver side rear = 1.25 inches deep

Passenger rear = 2.25 inches deep

I cannot imagine they dropped the whole thing an inch. There is just not any room there...especially with a medic skid like mine.
O.D. dim. I measured the pan upside down on table, flange on table.
Passenger front 3.25"
Passenger rear 2.125"
driver front 2.5"
driver rear 1.25"
Hope this helps, Again my measurements are from outside to outside, Close enough to Solarpoers.

·
This post/info=my opinion
24,202 Posts

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
About 3 weeks ago I went to the dealer. There was one pan in their system that was a replacement for the 42RLE. That's the one I'm running. It's the same as the previous one that was on my 05 sport. Unless it's come out in the last few weeks, I don't know.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.