Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty.. so i ordered the kit last week. According to UPS i should have the kit next week on Tuesday. So with that, tomorrow i want to get some of the "easy" things out of the way.

My plan is i want to remove the passenger seat, the rear seat, rear seat belts, bolts, center console, etc. all so that next weekend i wont have as much to take out and hopefully get it done faster.

I'm curious about the carpet and my amp/sub/wires. If i take the carpet out will the heat on the floor have any affect on the amp, sub, or wires running to both of them? I just don't want to take the carpet out and have any of that get melted to the floor!

I'll do my best to take pictures along the way.. because as the saying goes..

-EDIT-

And by the way.. heres some shots of what the liner is going into :D

No wheeling shots yet.. just got back from vacation. Got the lift installed a week before that so i havent gotten the chance to go out yet with the long arms

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a herculiner which is almost the same and I have two 10 inch subs in the rear of my jeep. The wiring hasnt been affected one bit. :wave:
Well im just referring to the bare metal of the tub being in contact with the wires until i can line the jeep next weekend

I'm also only thinking about takeing pictures of the prep / applying the liner. I don't think its really all that necessary to take pictures of the strip down.. that has already been pretty damn well covered by LuckRider (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/monstaliner-full-install-write-up-901675/)

·
Registered
485 Posts
It wont hurt the wires. I know because my jeep didnt have carpet when I got it. I went without carpet for probably a year and a half before i put a liner on mine and it never affected the wires one bit.:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am in the process of saving up 450 to do the line-x. is this the same concept? just rolled on?
Yes basically. That and less then half the price of that Line X job

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, so heres pictures of what i did today. Won't have any more updated pictures until atleast next weekend. I decided to leave my center console in for convenience.

I didn't want to post any pictures of doing the tear down.. because really a trained monkey could take apart the interior of a jeep. Its very basic stuff.. if you can turn a wrench you can take apart your jeeps interior. Like i said above, LuckRider has already done a very nice job on documenting the tear down of the interior.

I'll also add that with my expierence of the tear down.. when you go to remove the bolts that hold the rear seat brackets in place, BE CAREFUL! These suckers are in the jeep TIGHT. Your muscles say PUSH HARDER HARDER HARDER but your brain tells you if you do that you will strip the bolt! Make sure you use the correct size torx heads on every single bolt or you will be stripping the bolt heads (i did use the correct size to clarify).

Heres some advice i took from LuckRider's thread. Tieing up as much of the seat belt as i could to make the re installation easier:

Lastly, i have a question. For the people who have installed Monstaliner, or any bedliner for that matter, what did you do to all this rubbery stuff on the floor that is every where? I'm assuming that this is the seam sealer. Did you guys just scuff this stuff up with sand paper and roll the liner right over it? Or did you remove it with a chizzle?

This is what im talking about..

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Sorry it took so long for me to get to your question. I was visiting my cousin today. No problems with the wires. I drove for about a week without an interior. I believe the wires touch the tub bare under the carpet anyway.

The only part where that might be a concern is the transmission tunnel, and that does not get hot enough to melt wires, and you should not have any running on it anyway (at least on the sides of the hump where it gets hot).

As for the seam sealer, yep, just scuff and clean. The monstaliner covers and sticks to it amazingly well. I have seen a couple of people remove it, but I really don't think the look is worth the effort, and it really does provide a nice layer of protection for the metal.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll also add that my plan is to line the door jam openings and the side rails of the jeep. On the inside of the jeep i won't line all the way up the side walls of the jeep just because i think it would be to difficult to deal with all the mounting holes of my rocker panels and corner guards. I was just also thinking to myself that i might want to do the part of my half doors that comes in contact with the soft uppers. The soft uppers rub on the half doors and wears away the paint. Every so often ive been throwing on touch up paint. So maybe i'll scuff that part up and line it :D

This is what im talking about you can see on the right side all the mounting bolts for my gen right armor:

So i'll do just as LuckRider has done here.. but also do the rails of the jeep.

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
I also did the top rail this time, and the entry gap. The top rail looks really nice with the liner on it, and has not interfered with the soft top at all. The hard top will be going on when it gets colder, and you could see where it was abused before from the top being put on/taken off.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys, i thought i'd get a shot of all the supplies. Here you go:

The monstaliner kit itself. This is the one gallon kit:

The supplies i bought. Bought an extra brush, 1 1/2" blue tape, 2 sanding blocks (100 grit), some 80 grit sand paper, a mini 2" roller incase i decide to d o the side walls, the MEK, and a paint tray.

I may or may not use all the supplies, what ever i dont use im gonna take back to lowes. I think the sanding blocks may be easier to use then the supplied sanding pads. We'll see how they work.

I might have to cut down one of the roller pads to work on that little 2" roller, we'll see.

Tomorrow i'm gonna finish stripping the interior, clean it, scuff it, clean it again (water/soap), mask off what i want to mask off, and then saturday ill MEK it and line it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just one thought, I saw you taped off your rear roll cage. I did mine this way as well. Do yourself a favor and line the rear cage up to the pads, itll look cleaner.
I havent done any thing yet.. those are luck riders pictures

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok its picture time! Got pretty much all the prep work done today. Tomorrow.. the liner goes down! I'll only post the pictures right now. I'll add captions later.. gotta run out the door right now

Interior all stripped out (basically)

You can see the masking i did before my scuffing. I did this so i wouldnt scuff areas that i didn't want to get scuffed up.

Will be doing both door openings..

Some shots on how i want to line the back end..

Masking the curve in the door like this is pretty easy. What you want to do, is just place a piece of tape at an ange, then take a razor blade and cut away the masking tape on the line of the jeep.

This is after i had it all scuffed. This was the last time i washed it with soap. (I washed it twice. Once before i sanded it to get a bunch of the debree out, and second after it was all scuffed).

Picture of it scuffed up

This is how it sits right now. I know i know, running plastic isnt necessary, but i like to KNOW that the liner isn't going to get any where i dont want it. Plus, it only takes MAYBE 5 minutes do run the plastic like that.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so the first coat is ON! It's not all that bad to do at all. It just takes a little time to kind of get an idea on how you want to do it.

What i did is i started on the passenger side. I did the foot wells and then followed it back to just before the start of the bed. I coated towards the middle to the transmission hump then went and did the drivers side. After that i did the side walls followed by the bed in the back. After that, i did the tail gate, rails, and door openings. It's critical to do those last because you'll be leaning into the jeep quite often so you dont want to lean on freshly laid liner.

Heres your pictures for the proof! I have to wait until 2:00 PST to lay down the 2nd coat (11:43 AM PST right now).

A shot of the tail gate..

A shot of the side rail..

The door opening..

Close up door opening shot

Here you can see my idea worked out great! I bought a mini 2 inch roller, and then took one of the foam rollers Magnetman set me and cut it down a little bit on a bandsaw. Worked PERFECTLY! Highly recommened. I'd recommend Magnetman to maybe send a 2" roller and a smaller foam roller for the jeep kits (TJ/LJ atleast).

This shows how i went all the way up the side wall..

Did the tail gate opening also

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm doing mine in a few weeks (bought the 1-gal kit last week) I was going to ask how you got up between the wheel well and the tub rail. GOOD THINKING! I bought extra rollers with my kit, I'll have to chop one of them down.

Did you just cut it in half, or what?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.