Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Jeep TJ Sport Locked and Loaded
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any insight or the old I knew a guy that knew a guy that sold his for bla bla bla.
You could go on forever but things like a guy that spends 10k for a 5.3 swap kit then 5k on a 5.3, tranny and case, then installs 1 ton axles, 38's, suspension, that sort of thing.
If you have an 8k jeep and you put 40k into quality parts are you going to be able to sell it for 50k? I could go on but I think you know what I mean. I watch Utoobers build these things in every fashion imaginable, fox coils, elockers, 40s, beadlocks, hydraulic steering, etc, etc. But when it comes time to sell then what. You see if you can snag 65k because you have 60k in parts and fab work? I'm very curious to hear anybodys stories.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Unless I am personally acquainted with the builder and trust their skills I don’t even want a built up vehicle. I buy stock and build my own. Couple of summers back I thought I had found a deal on a CJ to build up, but as soon as the seller told me it was a V8 swap I lost all interest.

My view on market value of such rigs is it’s diminished value for the majority of potential buyers; and maybe worth more to a very small subset.

I’m actually sitting on a built up rig of another make at this moment, knowing I’ll never get half the investment out if it were sold.

Not complaining, I enjoy building and it’s a hobby I indulge in.

·
Administrator
21,358 Posts
Couple friends have gotten smoking deals on already built rigs which of course sell for a fraction of the investment. The key is to know what you're looking at and be able to evaluate the work and if it's how you would have done it. One of them looked like it was built for the hammers and done really, really well except the front axle fab looked like it was done by a blind welder; probably ran out of time or money or both. The trouble comes in when some one has more money than brains and looks at a shiny new build with all sorts of bolt on crap and no actual performance.

There is an XJ sitting in my yard that friend has for sale. Started turning it into a buggy but never finished. All the work done to date on the cage and whatnot is good but still sitting on stock axles. An experienced person sees all the remaining work and what it will cost in time and money and wants it for nothing. A newb is scared away because it looks like a pile. The third buyer thinks they will finish it but never will and re-sells it for a loss and eventually it gets done.

·
Registered
11,092 Posts
If you want a buggy to wheel in it is way better to start with someone else money. In the last say just a year in our club i have seen people buy Tjs Yjs all under say 20k. All one ton, all at about 107" wheel base full width all on 40s. You get what you start with then improve if needed. Knowing what you are getting or what has been done be it Godd Bad or Ugly. Well that is up to this Buyer and his knowledge.

To build a full buggy today..Another thing too. Do you wheel that hard to need 40s full hydro steering that sucks on street. ?

Near ever guy in our club i wheel with is on a trailer. Even if it can do 90mph on street. Hard trails break stuff even d60s. Things happen..

Another friend in our club he is kinda new too. Is running a JKUR with 40s on D44s. It has done stuff i would never have thought a d44 could do. Even though it does give hope. So far its doen well. One rear axle fronts until he went RCV. Reas he just uses G2 shafts..... He wheels nothing but hard core and that jeep looks it very dented and abused< needs my Jk custom body armor, lol.

·
Registered
2002 Jeep TJ Sport Locked and Loaded
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A great deal is what, someone putting on 2 - 12k axles, a 6.0 swap, a stretch job 9k into coil overs radiator, roll cages all the jive onto a 25k jeep. Then sell it all for 30k 2 yrs later and i dont mean all busted up?
Believe me, I'm not being ignorant that's why my title asks for the value, not just stories skipping the value of a built jeep. I know some of these righ have close to 100k into them including the jeep of any year or species. I'm curious because I don't really see any for sale online or craigslist, just some nice streetable TJ jeeps on ebay for 30 to 60k.

·
Administrator
21,358 Posts
A great deal is what, someone putting on 2 - 12k axles, a 6.0 swap, a stretch job 9k into coil overs radiator, roll cages all the jive onto a 25k jeep. Then sell it all for 30k 2 yrs later and i dont mean all busted up?
Believe me, I'm not being ignorant that's why my title asks for the value, not just stories skipping the value of a built jeep. I know some of these righ have close to 100k into them including the jeep of any year or species. I'm curious because I don't really see any for sale online or craigslist, just some nice streetable TJ jeeps on ebay for 30 to 60k.
prices are sky high right now but no one ever gets back what they put in. we have all seen ads where they list the retail price of the jeep, add up all the crap they had 4WP install and ask that plus $5000. The TJ I mentioned above was bought for $9500 and came with a truckload of spare parts, extra axles and was fully built with an engine driven welder. the works. I guess the PO had some reason for unloading in a hurry, it happens. That was a couple years ago though

another friend just sold a 98 TJ a couple months for $10k with really nothing added except 44 axles and lockers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts