Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
904K views 6K replies 253 participants last post by  aw12345 
#1 · (Edited)
For those of you stopping in for the first time , this is the jeep as it sits now (updated April 25, 2015)

Table Of Contents
Modification ................................................................ Starting at (click for link)
Steering box skid build ..................................................................... Post #5
Modifying rear axle spring perch to clear shock body.............................. Post #16
Step-by-step Aussie locker install into a D30 ........................................ Post #33
Painting the faded stock fender flares .................................................. Post #43
Craigslist find: DND rocker guards installed .......................................... Post #60
RE hand throttle install ..................................................................... Post #75
Currie Anti-rock install ..................................................................... Post #123
Rear crossmember bumper build ........................................................ Post #154
4" Flush mount LED tail lights ............................................................ Post #160
Solid differential cover (D30) ............................................................ Post #227
ZJ tie rod install ............................................................................. Post #281
Power steering pump & box replacement ............................................ Post #310
Savvy 1.25" BL and Body mount relocation .......................................... Post #391
Brown Dog 1" MML Install ................................................................. Post #410
Full Cage Build (Post 832 for finished pics) ....................................... .. Post #482
Savvy tailgate skin and Rokmen corners ............................................ Post #776
U-pol Raptor lining the tub ............................................................... Post #820
RCI 2161 Fuel Cell Mount/Install..........................................................Post #918
Rear Coil Bucket Relocation/ 2.5" coil swap...........................................Post #997
Custom Front UCAs with RuffStuff heims, Currie bumps, BDS 3" coils.........Post #1003

Fabrication Links
Front Bumper and Winch plate Build
Rear Crossmember Build

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
From the beginning

What I started with...
1997 Jeep Wrangler SE
2.5l 4 banger engine
5 speed and Np231
D30 front, D35 rear

Here is a few pics from the ad when i bought it. I picked it up in November 2008

I paid a little over $3000. PO always kept it in the garage and never took it off pavement so it was clean and spotless underneath, especially for a '97

I had already planned to start upgrading it the minute i got it home. Bumper end caps came off that day.
About a month later I had accumulated the parts i needed for the lift.
Fabtech performance series 4" lift with johnny joints on both ends of the lowers, 33x12.50 Pro comp MT's and black steelies, custom SS breaklines
I decided i didnt want a transfer case drop and decided to spring for an Advanced Adapters SYE and a Tom Woods custom CV shaft, I also got RC x-flex uppers to set the pinion angle properly.
I found a set of Custom4x4.com sliders for cheap and picked them up for rocker protection and steps. Took the grinder to my front bumper and chopped the ends and installed tow hooks.

Here is a pic after i finished installing the lift and a few other goodies

My jeep ran pretty good for a 4 banger on 33's but trying to get to the trails was a pain in the ***. I started looking at regear options.
I ended up having the front and rear re-geared to 4.88 by Mike @ Delmarva Offroad. This really helped out a lot with highway drivability. It's not fast but it's not my DD so slow doesnt bother me too much.
Here are a couple pics after i finished reinstalling the axles under the jeep. Also painted the drag link, tie rod and trackbar to match the diff covers and sway bar that i painted when i did the lift.

#3 · (Edited)
Okay so now i was really starting to get into the whole Jeep thing. I'v always loved wrenching on cars and trucks so i was always looking for something to do on my jeep.
Well, while searching for aftermarket bumpers i decided that i didnt like any of the options in my price range so what could i do.
I decided to buy a welder. it's been something i'v wanted to have for awhile and figured its probably going to be the most valuable tool to have when it comes to building my jeep. A few months ago I purchased a Hobart 187 MIG welder and also got a 60cf tank of shielding gas and solid wire from my LWS and i began practicing on any scraps I could get my hands on.

This led to my new front winch bumper :2thumbsup:

Built with an incorporated winch plate and fairlead mount for my new M8000.
The whole build of my front bumper can be found in the fab section here My Front Bumper/Winch Plate Build

This will be a slow but hopefully steady build so enjoy :thumbsup:
let me know if you have any questions or comments.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Today i started working on building my own steering box skid plate. I used cardboard as a template to come up with the angles and started cutting out pieces of 1/4" plate that i had left over from building my winch plate.

This is what i'v done so far. Its just tacked up. It's all i could do today since i ran outta cutting disks for my grinder :brickwall I'm gonna try and get some tomorrow and continue working on it.

#7 ·
i made my own front bumper as well and i also need to built the skid plate for the steering box...how did you bolt it on from the side? and nice weld.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks, I used the bottom of the 3 bolts that hold the steering box to the frame. When I was looking at other steering box skids to get an idea of how to build it i noticed most use that same bolt on the side, the bolt that goes through the bottom of the bumper, and then a third bolt that you drill into the crossmember.
I just added a tab to my front bumper and bolted it there too so i'd have 3 bolts securing it on. Seems pretty strong, I jacked the jeep up on the skid and i couldn't see any deflection.

Mike

#11 ·
steering box looks awesome you should paint it red to match the red theme, i did mine like a brush aluminum color makes it sorta stand out then just black.

#15 ·
Great build so far, love what you did to the front bumper. I'll keep watching this one!

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys!
I havn't done much with the jeep the last few days. I'm working on sorting out my garage and also selling a few things to make some extra money for jeep stuff
I did do alittle work on my jeep today. When i did my sye and dc driveshaft and rotated my pinion up, instead of relocating the lower shock bracket i decided to notch the lower spring bucket to clear the shock body. Well the shock body was still contacting the spring perch when the axle was at full droop. So, i finally got around to taking care of that today

Just a little work with the grinder and now i have the proper clearance :thumbsup:

This is a pic of the passenger side at full extension

And this is the drivers side, plenty of room now

#17 ·
I think i'm probably going to order an aussie locker for the front soon and also in the next month or so would like to come up with something for a rear bumper and tire carrier. Right now my 33x12.50 MT/R is mounted on the stock tire carrier and resting on the bumper for support so i want to get it off of that and onto something more adequate :)

#25 ·
I don't even have a jeep and I want one of those bumpers. Nice job. Got a question on the sye and Dc. I am looking at a jeep that is a 2003 Sport with what I believe is a 3 to 4 inch short arm Rubicon lift. (I really don't know if it is, it's just gray) with a 1" tranny/cross member drop. I was told that this is to allow proper angle of the driveline. Of course this possesses a problem in height and or high siding. What exactly is the sye and dc? I am knew to jeeps. Just looking for the right one....

#26 ·
Welcome to jeepforum :wave:
Basically the stock transfer case comes with a slip yoke driveshaft from the factory. This means the driveshaft slides in and out of the transfer case on a splined shaft allowing for movement when the suspension cycles up and down. When you lift a jeep more than about 2 inches the angles of the joints on the driveshaft become too steep and cause vibrations. The tcase drops help to lessen the severe angles on the stock u joint but it also sacrifices the ground clearence you just gained from the lift.
A slip yoke eliminator (SYE) replaces the splined output shaft on the transfer case with a fixed yoke for mounting a double cardan driveshaft.
This is a link to a really good read on everything you might want to know about a SYE and DC driveshaft Whats a CV shaft and why do i need one?

Let me know if i can help answer any more questions :thumbsup:

#28 · (Edited)
Update on the jeep!
Ordered an Aussie locker for the D30 as well as a pinion seal because its been leaking a little the last couple months. Should be able to get it installed this weekend if its not too cold to work in the garage and the parts get here.
I'm looking forward to atleast having a locker in one of my axles :thumbsup:

Still debating my options of what to do for the rear but leaning towards building an 8.8 with a selectable locker if i can't find an affordable D44 from a TJ.
Suggestions? I'm open to other ideas and they certainly don't have to be bolt-in. I still want to stay with the d30 (may swap for HPd30) for now so needs to be stock track width (or close enough) and 5x4.5 bolt pattern (or atleast the option to be). Just entertaining different ideas right now

#31 ·
They seem to be doing alright. I havn't been stuck yet but i have not done any serious wheeling with them. It's hard to say because i'v only put about 3,000 miles on them but they appear to be wearing pretty quickly. I don't mind as the deal i got on them was great. I got them during procomps buy 3 get 1 free deal and also got 20% off on the wheels and tires so i payed very little for 4 with black steelies :thumbsup:

Nice Jeep, top notch welds too.Nice job.:thumbsup:
Thanks man! Means a lot as those where my first projects. I'm looking forward to making some pretty cool things for my jeep :thumbsup:

#32 ·
Well the locker didnt come in the mail this weekend but we did get close to 30 inches of snow here in MD :2thumbsup: Wheeled in it all day saturday and got a few pics!

Also fedex should be delivering my locker tomorrow afternoon so i'm hoping to have it installed sometime friday or saturday. I know it won't be ideal for the snowy conditions we've been getting lately but it can't be to bad

There also calling for around 8-12 inches tomorrow night now, on top of what we already have!

Snow wheelin pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.