Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
101 - 120 of 286 Posts

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
jeepin1995 said:
not impatient! just excited! but ill definitely post pictures as soon as i get it done!
Ya, I was too. I even took a day off (abnormal for me) just to put it on. I feel good about it every time I walk out to it and climb in. It's funny how just a 2 1/8" lift can make you smile. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
jeepin1995 said:
have you gotten a tracking number or anything yet from them?? called them today to check on the status of the order i placed sunday and it won't be til at least middle of next week before they ship because they are waiting on a shipment of upper control arm bushings..... everything else is there..... just waiting on the bushings.:cheers2:
My wife called yesterday and they told her the same thing. They told her something about the manufacturer was out of stock. She was told late next week to expect it. I hope they aren't jerking us around. She's wanted this lift ever since we bought the car. She really wanted to be the first, but Gramps beat everyone.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Doba said:
My wife called yesterday and they told her the same thing. They told her something about the manufacturer was out of stock. She was told late next week to expect it. I hope they aren't jerking us around. She's wanted this lift ever since we bought the car. She really wanted to be the first, but Gramps beat everyone.
hmmmmm i guess the race is between me and you!! j/k.....

got a question here..... if i do my lift, will it be ok to drive ~30 miles to get it aligned????? (speed limit 45, no highway) there are no reputable shops near where i am gonna install it.

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems. With all of my trips back and forth before they got to mine I had about 45 miles on it at about 55 mph. Some who have put on the lift kit didn't use the adjustable camber bolts that came with it. The shops say that they aren't necessary and just use the factory bolts. I did put them in and faced the "tang" at 90 degrees towards the inside and locked it down. They didn't need any adjustment either.

jeepin1995 and Doba - be expecting an email from me that says Alignment specs. You'll see why. Anybody else need them, let me know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Got your PM and thanks for the specs. Hopefully they ship it soon and we can get this thing lifted.

I know I read somewhere, but what is the smallest rim size I can go with still clearing the brakes?

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
The smallest safe size is 16" like on the Moab's used on the Wranglers. I've wondered about the Caliber 15's but those are pretty narrow.

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
jeepin1995 said:
got a question..... why do the lift spacers only measure 1.75" when it's a 2.125" lift?
:confused: I didn't measure mine before I put them on, only the gc after installed. I went from 8.4 to 11.0. Good question!

Here's the alignment specs from mine.

Attachments

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
The pivot point is inboard from the spacer and increases the lift at the wheel and the gc by the 2 1/8". This is the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
i haven't gotten into the way this lift kit works, but it appears it lifts the vehicle at the top of the struts/shocks by spacing them from the body, correct? if so, too bad someone couldn't come up with a kit that, on the front only, would space the knuckle more from the strut (maybe a modified knuckle?) to allow a tire BIGGER than the 235/65R17's. from the pics that have been posted, the tire gets REALLY close to the bottom spring seat on the strut and you don't want it rubbing there, as that would be a 'constant' rub,not an occasional one.

any thoughts 'anyone' (Gramps)?

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
Jeepster55 said:
i haven't gotten into the way this lift kit works, but it appears it lifts the vehicle at the top of the struts/shocks by spacing them from the body, correct? if so, too bad someone couldn't come up with a kit that, on the front only, would space the knuckle more from the strut (maybe a modified knuckle?) to allow a tire BIGGER than the 235/65R17's. from the pics that have been posted, the tire gets REALLY close to the bottom spring seat on the strut and you don't want it rubbing there, as that would be a 'constant' rub,not an occasional one.

any thoughts 'anyone' (Gramps)?
Yes it's a spacer as you say. This is the cost affective way of getting the lift. It keeps the strut at the factory (assume correct) angle and since struts are considered part of the steering as much as suspension it could take more engineering and cost to modify the knuckle and strut mount.

Another way would be to redesign the strut. What interferes is the safety bar on the spring seat, it's there to prevent the spring from jamming into the tire should it break. A shorter, heaver spring moved higher up on the strut could do it or to just have the safety bar come up at a steeper angle and sit right under the second winding, but that's going to be more $ and could just as easily be sold separately from the lift kit.

Here's a top and bottom view.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
I SEE, said the blind man!!!! :D

another thought would be to use a spring that was smaller in diameter, so that one could REMOVE the safety bar which, looks to me, would allow you to use a taller tire, provided that you still have clearance with your fenders, shields and any other items. my experience with my Unlimited was that i was able to go to a MUCH taller tire (33") without ANY modifications. the key was to stay iwth the same size 'WIDTH' and only increase the diameter. for instance, the OEM tire was a Goodyear Wrangler 30X9.50R15 and i went with the BFG All-Terrains in a 33X9.50R15. they not only looked great, but rode much better and talk about going through SNOW!!!! OMG!! we had a huge snow the next day after my installing them and i just plowed right down the street in probably 8-9" of snow while others (a Ford Ranger 4X4 and Jeep GC) were stuck in the street. SWEET!

my point is that i REALLY want to get a BFG All-Terrain to fit my Compass, but the smallest diameter they make in a 17" is about a 30.5". i also thought about just doing a 2" spring rubber spacer, but with the 'safety bar', it won't make much difference.

who do you think would be a good company to contact about doing something along THESE lines?

101 - 120 of 286 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.