Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now with my '85 with all emissions junk hooked up on the BBD. Nothing aftermarket, nothing butchered, yet...

Last week my fuel pump shaft snapped so I bought another pump. The fuel pump went in without a hitch but naturally, the carb either had some junk go through it or something because my CJ refused to run right. I confirmed the new pump is working as it should. I rebuilt the carb for a second time but knew it was on its last leg from all the corrosion in the bowl and overall looseness from the previous owner's neglect.

There is a ton of shaft play for the throttle plates and no matter what I adjust, there is no change in tone of the engine or change in idle speed. I can have the idle mixture screws cranked in all the way, or turned out 10 turns and there is no difference. The carb is done and I have no intentions on having it rebushed to address the elongated holes. I have a Howell CA smog legal fuel injection kit sitting in my garage and have full intentions on installing it when I have some time, but time is rather scarce as my wife is battling breast cancer & chemotherapy.

Are there any halfway decent "Amazon" or "eBay" Carter knockoffs that will get me by for a few weeks for "off-road use only" until I get some time to rip out everything for the Howell install? Can I get away with a non-electric metered BBD knockoff or is that going to cause issues?

Lastly, being that I will be performing a Nutter Bypass in essence when I install the Howell kit, can I do that now or should I wait until the Howell install? Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
i can't answer your carb question, but all the best to your wife in her battle with cancer. fwiw, my mom is a two-time survivor, first diagnosed with breast cancer back in 1992, and still going strong today! she did chemo/radiation back in 1992, and then only did radiation back in 2017 when it came back (she did radiation twice a day for a month).

Reactions: Lbsigman

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Why don't you see how this guy is doing?

I recommend and installed the Chinese copycats, I've never had a a problem with them.

They are inexpensive, but are really good copies, new parts, not picked thru worn out stuff

assembled on a old cleaned up carb.

I like USA, but I also like a good deal too!

-------JEEPFELLER

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can't answer your carb question, but all the best to your wife in her battle with cancer. fwiw, my mom is a two-time survivor, first diagnosed with breast cancer back in 1992, and still going strong today! she did chemo/radiation back in 1992, and then only did radiation back in 2017 when it came back (she did radiation twice a day for a month).
I appreciate the kind words. Thank you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why don't you see how this guy is doing?

I recommend and installed the Chinese copycats, I've never had a a problem with them.

They are inexpensive, but are really good copies, new parts, not picked thru worn out stuff

assembled on a old cleaned up carb.

I like USA, but I also like a good deal too!

-------JEEPFELLER
I just purchased one. We shall see. If it’s a complete failure, I will tackle the Howell kit sooner than later. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Extend my best wishes to your wife. I offer my thoughts and prayers to you both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts