Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all! First post. Looking at a 2012 Overland 5.7 & signed up here for a little advice before buying :)

I'm no stranger to diagnostics & repair. I've done a couple of engine rebuilds/transplants, tons of mechanical repairs over the years, and do pretty decent electronics/computer diagnostics. I learn quickly, and know what I don't know - and when to punt on something. So, I'm trying to line my ducks up, so there's less of a chance of getting in over my head :)

This vehicle has QuadraLift with a gradually settling front end. My understanding is that it lowers to the minimum height after sitting for a handful of days, and levels out ok once started & run. I have yet to look at it in earnest, but plan to later today/tomorrow.

I'm expecting that it needs a compressor & valve assembly, and possibly/probably a leak or two to be fixed. I'm willing to do the work and pay for the parts, but I don't want to go to the dealership until it's time for the 2x nitrogen dry/flush/fill/calibrate stage.

My question is whether anyone has been able to successfully do this kind of work, using something similar to Appcar DiagFCA and/or AlfaOBD?

Edit: I already have an OBDLink SX handy, but definitely don't mind buying something newer/better. It came with an OBDWiz software license, but nothing vehicle specific. Any advice appreciated! :)

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,382 Posts
Probably has an O ring leak which are sometimes hard to find. There are a couple threads indexed in the maintenance sticky thread that may be helpful. I don't think a scanner will help you with diagnosing a leak, thats an old school soap and bubble thing. I don't think any third party scanner can run the mass calculation, but some can help you fill. They can help deflate and then reinstall a bag for suspension work on a corner. If you are getting a service air suspension type status message a scanner could read the codes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you (I actually was in that awesome thread earlier). You have helped a lot of folks around here! :)

I spent a couple more hours looking at QL problems and diagnostic methodologies. It looks like AlfaOBD might have enough command/sensor data coverage to get the job done? Just looking for a little confirmation/upvote on being able to do the work using that (or something similar), without having something expensive or dealer-only like WiScan.

Hopefully going to look at it tomorrow early afternoon. It's a cheap enough price to take a chance on!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Or you can put conventional suspension under it..?? I know someone that put Laredo coils on their Overland

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,382 Posts
Yeah, suncore and others sell conversion kits for less money than a compressor last I checked. Or put together about $400 in OEM coils and aftermarket shocks/struts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, familiar with the conversion kits, thanks for the replies!

Anyone know if AlfaODB gives enough sensor data and command function to adequately debug a QuadraLift?

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,382 Posts
Enough is subjective. From what I hear not even the FCA WiTech gives techs enough function to debug every possibility. A couple techs reported here that the air suspension is frustrating with the best tools. One needs a bit of training and experience. What exactly are you trying to debug?

Now if you are asking which tool short of a WiTech that will give you the most function, AlfaOBD would be it. It may not be enough, however.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much. I was just looking for a vote of confidence, and I definitely know nothing is absolute.

There looks to be a bunch of threads in various places that document people's efforts, and I plan on learning from them. First (for me) is to understand the operational details, which I'm in the process of doing - and if I find that I don't want to mess with it, I'll do the fixed suspension instead :)

Edit: front end (only) is sagging over a period of inactive days. I've yet to get the GC, but from what I can tell it's worth the risk.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Quick update: looks like AlfaOBD works with my OBDLink SX & Windows 10, testing the demo out this pm. Looking at the GC and making a buying decision tomorrow. If the price is right (and it doesn't have fundamental drivetrain issues) I'm going for it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, man :) I've just spend a few hours learning about the 65RFE 6 speed transmission, AlfaOBD (it rocks) and what to look for in general. I'm totally up to fixing things as they occur.

It's an Overland Summit, gold-ish in color. I don't know what options it has, but if it's worth putting the time into, it will be the best (featured) vehicle I've had to date. It's going to be a bit of a difficult decision, because it will be replacing a 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L with high miles, but a good track record & in good shape.

It has recent tires, a newer engine, good interior; cosmetic issue/s on the front passenger side which is non-structural, and the aforementioned QuadraLift front end sag. It's a friend's car and he'll give me the skinny & I'll not hold his feet to the fire when things come up :)

We'll see what driving it reveals & what AlfaOBD comes up with. Good thing is that tomorrow (Monday) we're on track to have a record high temp, which will be more likely to reveal any engine cooling, a/c and transmission problems.

Another friend has a 2013 Overland Summit Hemi and I'm willing to put a certain amount of effort into getting this one squared away, in return for all the luxury, haha!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked it up. 210k on the chassis. Engine has 35k-ish miles and runs strong; transmission shifts fine - it's probably the original unit & I do not mind putting in a used/rebuilt unit when required.

The air suspension works properly, but I still need to address the front end droop. There are two codes. Climate vent is stuck on heat on the driver's side (this just recently happened).

This wins over the Pilot, which is a great vehicle but there's a lot of overlap. Just need the A/C to work reasonably well & make certain the Hemi's upper end is in decent shape. Lots of misc to do, but I'm a happy camper.

I'm gonna miss the folks at Piloteers for the time being.

I picked up a license for AlfaODB. The Windows UI is basic but functional, and it's not VIN locked, so I get to help my other friend out with his 2013 GCOS, I'm sure. Sigh. :) Works great with the OBDLink SX.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is! I was pleasantly surprised. It definitely needs a good cleaning and treatment. There are no tears but the driver's bottom panel has more wear. For 10 years/200k miles it's just fine :)

No issues with the dash delaminating. The only thing significant is a plastic trim piece on the driver's side seat bottom on the left, which is loose.

Any suggestions for cleaning and treating the interior would be super awesome. Edit: for example, is Zymol one of the better ways to go?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Post some pics!! And for cleaning products, the chemical guys or Meguiars professional are great! Meguiars vinyl/Leather cleaner & conditioner (beige spray bottle) is perfect on dashes and trim.

I use AutoMagic leather cleaner (diluted) and then their Leather Conditioner…words great

Reactions: capacitor

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,382 Posts
#1 rule of competent detailers is to never ever use conditioner on Jeep's leather seats unless the customer wants shine over durability. It is a plastic coating over thin leather after all. Many a seat has been ruined by conditioner. Conditioners may have their place on a saddle, but not in a Jeep.

So, weekly at least, vacuum the dirt out of the seats and use a damp cloth to wipe down. Same with the dash. Never soak. For stubborn dirt, first try distilled water before trying more aggressive but gentle cleaners. As far as the rest of the interior and exterior, use what you like. For the exterior I like Meguiars's Gold Class car wash, but that may be just me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, both of you. It truly needs a good cleaning before I post pics! Friend is a good man, but an auto detailer he isn't, haha! :) It needs a serious cleaning and detailing inside. He just didn't want to spend the time on it as he has a couple of other, similar projects.

There's a small amount of bodywork that needs addressed, and some of that will require spray touchup. The exterior color is White Gold. I can do a lot of it myself, and see if a can of spray touchup paint comes anywhere close to matching, haha!

Wheels need a little cosmetic help. They have some significant scratches, but are straight. 20" factory (with new Nitto Terra Grappler G2 which I didn't expect), no vibration. One missing lug nut.

Engine bay and underbody look great. New battery, spare oil change stuff, close to a full tank of gas.

The build sheet is 8 pages long, but I'm guessing this is typical for folks' Overland Summits...

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,382 Posts
Those wheels are tough to touch up, just can't match the paint. Refinishing is the only way to fix them, but you can make them look a bit better, from 30 feet :)

Connector and harness corrosion seems to plague these older Jeeps that have not been garaged much. If you start getting weird things happening, thats one of the first places to look.

There is at least one thread in the maintenace sticky about blend doors, differences in temperature between passenger and driver side is a classic symptom.

Those older transmissions are relatively durable. Lots of repair experience around.

Is there a lot of rust around the suspension cradle/body mounts?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts