Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 2000 miles on my new 4.7, It has some mods Throttle and oh-8 intake and injectors. I ran a tank of mid-grade and the Jeep did not like it, It billowed clouds of white smoke and fouled the plugs something fiece. It was running heavily over-rich. It musta been clouds a unburned atommized gas. The first time it farted I was infront of a Tesla and that driver was P. O.'d I mean-a-cloud like the rings were gone. You know how San Franciscans are they gotta have their nose in everyones business, Dude pulled up next to me and I was already embarassed and it's of course a hippy looking dude. He was steaming mad, face red as a radish. "get that Piece of S**** of the road. I'm well into my 40's and he was probably 24 and the most self rightous 24 year old ever. It was like my son, however very disrespectful. Something my kids learned very,very early to never be again. 5? I digress, I filled it with regular unleaded and drove to Reno and she is finally back to normale. Thing is for minute the jeep ran like a vehicle with 40 more horsepower but the 2nd tank it rejected. I use only name brand Circle K petroleum. I'm temped to try another .25 tank of midgrade then the rest the low grade. Anyone else experience this? Not the disrespect but a jeep with indigestion. I wonder if it was a one off thing? watery gas?
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive tire Gas

· Registered
1986 Jeep Cherokee
401 Posts
Our Pres did us a real disfavor by mandating more ethanol in our gas, which will allow water to be dissolved into it. I hate the ethanol in fuel. Causes nothing but problems and a real hit on mileage

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be tapping the fuel rail to grab a sample for the old Mason jar, it won't take long to separate and be visible if they sold you bad gas.
So ran another .20 tank of mid-grade. She rejected it and smoked like a $1 cigar. I was out and about tooling around out in our countries high desert. Not a Riven or New GC in sight, can you imagine in 2043 if any of the 2024 jeeps will still be around. I'll be a real old bastard by that time.

· Registered
13,373 Posts
this is NOT a 4.7HO?
Waterluvr made a fast easy suggection - what did you find?
Do you have a scanner? looking at live data might show a 'clue'?

try getting fuel at other than ciircle K.

· Registered
817 Posts
So ran another .20 tank of mid-grade. She rejected it and smoked like a $1 cigar. I was out and about tooling around out in our countries high desert. Not a Riven or New GC in sight, can you imagine in 2043 if any of the 2024 jeeps will still be around. I'll be a real old bastard by that time.
I can just about promise you they won't be anywhere but the scrap pile by then, I specialize in automotive programming and just about everything made after 2012 is designed to make major repairs almost impossible or very expensive for DIY and independent shops.

Not so much in the wrench turning end of things but all the electronic controls slaved into every major component in late model vehicles that OEM's have designed as "single use" items like transmissions and ABS modules. There's work arounds to install used items like these but it comes with a huge cost for repurposing the electronic control sides on the tech end of them to make them work right again without buying new from OEM dealers and paying them for repairs and programming services.

It get's even worse with the big 3 OEM's after 2016, they really have things built in to shut out the DIY or independent shops, the average guy who turns his own wrench is in for a really bad experience when they are forced into newer vehicles.

· Registered
3,565 Posts
I can just about promise you they won't be anywhere but the scrap pile by then, I specialize in automotive programming and just about everything made after 2012 is designed to make major repairs almost impossible or very expensive for DIY and independent shops.

Not so much in the wrench turning end of things but all the electronic controls slaved into every major component in late model vehicles that OEM's have designed as "single use" items like transmissions and ABS modules. There's work arounds to install used items like these but it comes with a huge cost for repurposing the electronic control sides on the tech end of them to make them work right again without buying new from OEM dealers and paying them for repairs and programming services.

It get's even worse with the big 3 OEM's after 2016, they really have things built in to shut out the DIY or independent shops, the average guy who turns his own wrench is in for a really bad experience when they are forced into newer vehicles.
Is there a cut off date for non-dealer repairs
for European cars too please Waterluvr?

Ditto the 2016 cut off please?

· Registered
817 Posts
Is there a cut off date for non-dealer repairs
for European cars too please Waterluvr?

Ditto the 2016 cut off please?
The technology is about the same, there's workarounds being made every day for these issues but they come with a cost. We've formed professional message boards that are closed to anyone but industry professionals in an attempt to share information and tech to help each other stay on top of new technology but it's almost impossible to do on newer vehicles due to cost.

You have to decide if you want to work on FCA, BMW, GM etc... and go really deep in your pockets to buy the diagnostic tech and pay for annual subscriptions fee's and vin access. I used to work on just about anything, going forward it's going to have to be a few OEM's at most.

And it doesn't help when the OEM's get rid of access to things like calibration files for older vehicles, as an example Chrysler Tech made the switch for FCA vehicles to Stellantis and now they have done away with the Legacy system where techs would go for programming access to older vehicles like these WJ's.

They really don't want people like me helping you keep that 20 year old SUV on the road.

· Registered
3,565 Posts
The technology is about the same, there's workarounds being made every day for these issues but they come with a cost. We've formed professional message boards that are closed to anyone but industry professionals in an attempt to share information and tech to help each other stay on top of new technology but it's almost impossible to do on newer vehicles due to cost.

You have to decide if you want to work on FCA, BMW, GM etc... and go really deep in your pockets to buy the diagnostic tech and pay for annual subscriptions fee's and vin access. I used to work on just about anything, going forward it's going to have to be a few OEM's at most.

And it doesn't help when the OEM's get rid of access to things like calibration files for older vehicles, as an example Chrysler Tech made the switch for FCA vehicles to Stellantis and now they have done away with the Legacy system where techs would go for programming access to older vehicles like these WJ's.

They really don't want people like me helping you keep that 20 year old SUV on the road.
Thank you very much Waterluvr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts