Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Max tow vs trailer package

3693 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  RockRodHooligan
Debating about trading in my Chevy Silverado trail boss edition for a gladiator. I’m just confused on the trailer package vs max tow package. the max tow package is only available on lower trims. But what if i bought a rubicon or mojave with trailer package. What is the towing capacity with that? The rubicon and Mojave have 4:10 gearing so I’m just confused on the difference
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Electric Chair Operator
14,847 Posts
This info is as of Sep 2020, so some things could have changed.

This is what you get with just the trailer package ($350)
  • 240-Amp Alternator
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch
  • Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling
  • Trailer Hitch Zoom
This is what comes with the Max Tow ($1245)
  • Trac-Lok® Anti-Spin Rear Differential
  • 4.10 Axle Ratio
  • Heavy-Duty Dana 44 Wide Front Axle
  • Heavy-Duty Dana 44 Wide Rear Axle
  • Daytime Running Lamp System
  • 240-Amp Alternator (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • 245/75R17 All-Terrain Tires (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • Trailer Hitch Zoom (Unavailable with some configurations)
There is no badging for the Max Tow, so there is nothing saying Max Tow other than the sticker. The fenders are the tell for a Max Tow, they have an extra pc. due to the wider Axle.

· Registered
2000 TJ
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This info is as of Sep 2020, so some things could have changed.

This is what you get with just the trailer package ($350)
  • 240-Amp Alternator
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch
  • Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling
  • Trailer Hitch Zoom
This is what comes with the Max Tow ($1245)
  • Trac-Lok® Anti-Spin Rear Differential
  • 4.10 Axle Ratio
  • Heavy-Duty Dana 44 Wide Front Axle
  • Heavy-Duty Dana 44 Wide Rear Axle
  • Daytime Running Lamp System
  • 240-Amp Alternator (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • 245/75R17 All-Terrain Tires (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • Trailer Hitch Zoom (Unavailable with some configurations)
There is no badging for the Max Tow, so there is nothing saying Max Tow other than the sticker. The fenders are the tell for a Max Tow, they have an extra pc. due to the wider Axle.
Yes i have seen this. Just curious if i got the tow package ina Mojave or rubicon is my tow capacity only gonna be 4500?

· Registered
142 Posts
Yes i have seen this. Just curious if i got the tow package ina Mojave or rubicon is my tow capacity only gonna be 4500?
Your towing capacity will be 6,000 lbs maximum towing capacity with the automatic trans and factory tow package. The MaxTow on the Sport models with auto trans gets you 7,500 lbs max towing capacity because of the heavier and wider axles and heavier duty leaf springs in the rear. I have the Overland model with the factory tow and automatic trans and have a 6,000 lb towing capacity. I'm sure it's more than that but, I wouldn't test it as the song says, "Don't lean on me man 'cause I can't afford the ticket, back from suffragette city..."

· Registered
2000 TJ
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your towing capacity will be 6,000 lbs maximum towing capacity with the automatic trans and factory tow package. The MaxTow on the Sport models with auto trans gets you 7,500 lbs max towing capacity because of the heavier and wider axles and heavier duty leaf springs in the rear. I have the Overland model with the factory tow and automatic trans and have a 6,000 lb towing capacity. I'm sure it's more than that but, I wouldn't test it as the song says, "Don't lean on me man 'cause I can't afford the ticket, back from suffragette city..."
cool thanks! I usually only town jet ski but i bought a heavy dump trailer last year and it’s around 3500 pounds dry. If i were to ever use it i would only be driving a few miles and with a super light load. Or potentially just sell the trailer all together i haven’t decided.

· Registered
3,209 Posts
This suggests that it varies a little more with model and powertrain:

Don't get me wrong, most are 6000#, but looks like there are some differences, like a Rubi can be 7000# V6/auto, or a bunch of diesels are 6500#.

· Registered
343 Posts
Thinking the new 22's changed something. was looking on their build sheets today and the max tow was offered on the high altitude but not the overland. kinda interesting.

· Registered
142 Posts
Thinking the new 22's changed something. was looking on their build sheets today and the max tow was offered on the high altitude but not the overland. kinda interesting.
They never offered the MaxTow on the Overland because the Overland has a softer suspension than the rest of them for a more comfortable ride overall. The MaxTow has stiffer springs in the rear along with a slightly wider track to enable the greater towing capacity. You also cannot get the MaxTow on the Rubicon. Yes the Rubi has a little higher towing capacity than the Overland but that's because of 4.1 vs. 3.73 gearing in the differentials.

· Registered
3,744 Posts
I think what you're seeing is a new trim called "Altitude". That one is based on Sport trim, and therefore can have Max Tow package added.

The "High Altitude" is based upon Overland trim, so it doesn't get it.

The reason Max Tow is not offered on any trims above Sport is because towing capacity directly relates to payload, and the lower the curb weight of the truck the higher the payload. So offering their top of the line towing package on heavier, more highly optioned trims would be contradictory.

· Registered
142 Posts
Don't get me wrong, most are 6000#, but looks like there are some differences, like a Rubi can be 7000# V6/auto, or a bunch of diesels are 6500#.
The reason the Rubicon is rated at 7,000 lbs is because of the 4.1 gearing just like the MaxTow package. Difference is the axles and rear springs. MaxTow has wider and a bit beefier axles and heavier duty rear springs to get it to the 7,650 lbs capacity.

· Blood, Sweat, and Gears
6,303 Posts
Your towing capacity will be 6,000 lbs maximum towing capacity with the automatic trans and factory tow package. The MaxTow on the Sport models with auto trans gets you 7,500 lbs max towing capacity because of the heavier and wider axles and heavier duty leaf sprin the rear. I have the Overland model with the factory tow and automatic trans and have a 6,000 lb towing capacity. I'm sure it's more than that but, I wouldn't test it as the song says, "Don't lean on me man 'cause I can't afford the ticket, back from suffragette city..."
Leaf springs?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.