Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
im in portland, havnt seen or heard of anyone getting that much of a hard time, yes, lifted and modded jeeps arent as common down here, but you do see a lot of trucks and whatnot with big tires
cops in portland are pretty easy going and barely stop you at all, just dont be a dick-head about it and they wont have a reason to give you a hard time

· Registered
41 Posts
So I slapped antique plates on my YJ should I still worry about tires and how far they stick out? I have 31s with some weird offset and they stick out about 2-3" in the rear, should I invest in flares? I don't have to worry about a sticker but just wondering about tires.

· Registered
32 Posts
I am not sure what the rules are on an antique, but i know the general rule is that your tires can't be more than .5 inches outside your flares. And i was talking to a trooper the other day who said there is no specific tire height restriction anymore, just frame height restrictions based on the class of vehicle. I think it is something like the 25-30 inch range for something like a jeep.

· Registered
32 Posts
That would be good if the tire restriction is gone because that was the vaguest law I've ever read
There are/were a bunch of vague laws in the inspection regulations. They squared it away somewhat in 2012 though. I re-read the whole shebang the other day when I was researching whether I could drive without side mirrors...I can by the way, only one mirror is needed, and the windshield rearview counts!:2thumbsup:

· Registered
28 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
What about trac bars on a yj in Maine? My Dad got his inspected a couple days ago and the guy passed it but hassled him about his missing trac bars, another guy at the shop has an xj and told him to pass it because yj owners get rid of those. He said something about them being there from the factory so you are supposed to keep them.

· Registered
665 Posts
Technically you aren't supposed to change the factory "suspension design" however there are TJ guys with triangulated 4 link and 3 link that are getting passed. Just who you know really

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.