Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I finally got my 5.3 LS set into the my 79 CJ7 using Novak motor mounts. For those who have done an LS swap and kept the factory steering box, what power steering lines did you use? Do any off-the-self lines fit, or did you have them made?

I have no objections to having custom lines made, but I was hoping to find something already assembled that fit.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
9,706 Posts
f you have a 1979 factory steering box it is a GM Saginaw, but in 1979 they came with SAE flare fittings.

If you have a modern GM pump, it is probably metric and O ring. The two will not match.

This makes an off the shelf hose unlikely.

· Registered
234 Posts
I converted to Eatons weatherhead fittings and hydraulic lines. They are screw on connectors which allow you to get your lines customized in your garage. The hoses and fittings are rated for much more that our steering systems put out, they are designed for hydraulic equipment.

I had to go this way because of the hydroboost and cylinder assist on mine. Its also what initially came with the parts from PSC.

They have every fitting you need on their website and with the part numbers you can search around.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
f you have a 1979 factory steering box it is a GM Saginaw, but in 1979 they came with SAE flare fittings.

If you have a modern GM pump, it is probably metric and O ring. The two will not match.

This makes an off the shelf hose unlikely.
So sorry - I should've specified that I've got a new Lares Saginaw box in it with metric fittings (M18x1.5 pressure, M16x1.5 return). These should line up with the GM pump, which is why I thought there might be an off-the-shelf solution.

I converted to Eatons weatherhead fittings and hydraulic lines. They are screw on connectors which allow you to get your lines customized in your garage. The hoses and fittings are rated for much more that our steering systems put out, they are designed for hydraulic equipment.

I had to go this way because of the hydroboost and cylinder assist on mine. Its also what initially came with the parts from PSC.

They have every fitting you need on their website and with the part numbers you can search around.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking into doing this using Eaton fittings. Did you also use Weatherhead hose? I'd like to but cannot find a source that sells it in smaller segments (6ft or so).

· Registered
234 Posts
So sorry - I should've specified that I've got a new Lares Saginaw box in it with metric fittings (M18x1.5 pressure, M16x1.5 return). These should line up with the GM pump, which is why I thought there might be an off-the-shelf solution.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking into doing this using Eaton fittings. Did you also use Weatherhead hose? I'd like to but cannot find a source that sells it in smaller segments (6ft or so).
I bought additional hose from PSC, as well as fittings. They will also have the fittings you need for your power steering box to accept the weatherhead fittings. Its close to a -AN flare but something different. I usually call them, they are pretty good over the phone.

The part number on the hose is H18006, im sure others will have it for sale. I used about 4 feet because its only for the high pressure side.

Actually, i have the box to pump high pressure hose with 90 degree fittings in the garage. If you cover shipping to you i will let you have it. This was used before i put hydroboost on so if you have a saginaw box in the stock location it will bolt up when used with an LS location pump. You will just need the pump fitting to match up, not sure what GM used.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.