Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read a lot of the posts on this subject and based on the information I'd feel best if I could replace the hose WITH a coil inside the hose. However, I've scoured the internet and cannot find one. So the question is to those who had the same issue, what brand, size, hose and coil did you get for your XJ? And where did you get them? And how did you slide the coil inside the hose? Easy?

I have a 97 Cherokee Sport 4L.

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm not sure what information you're basing your decision on, but if you're trying to find a new hose with a "spring" in it, you're SOL.

AFAIK there are no manufacturers still making a molded hose with a "spring" for the XJ, as they are no longer needed in new/better designed hoses.

You will see a lot of posts with people reusing old springs, making springs with baling wire, cutting them out of other hoses, etc., which is a complete waste of time and not necessary. With a properly maintained cooling system and a new hose, you will have no problems without the "spring".

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
So do u have a recommendation for a thicker lower hose? The one I purchased doesn't seem to be reinforced, just week. I can easily squeeze it.
I just used a Napa one on my '00. Pretty sure Napa ones are just rebranded Gates. If you can squeeze it easily, not that I ever thought to see if mine was the same way, I wonder if there is still air in there. I know my upper hose will not be easily squeezed when up to temp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read a lot about Gates' hose's but can't find the corresponding part for the XJ, unless I'm missing something...it seems the Gates hose's are not molded in the same shape of the OEM, that it's more straight...am I wrong or does Gates have to molded shape for the XJ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
No one makes hoses with inner springs anymore. Modern rubber compounds are better than the old ones that required springs. If you are nervous then put the old springs into the new hoses but that would seem like a lot of extra work for very little if any payoff.

I used NAPA parts and they fit my 92 perfectly on both lower and upper hoses. You should be able to squeeze the hose however if the rubber itself feels soft and spongy then you should replace it. Squeezing or "burping" hoses is a standard procedure during a cooling system refill.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Been driving XJs' since '94. The spring is to prevent the lower hose from collapsing under suction. I always swapped it into the new hose. Just lost my spring though. Had 4 Wheel parts replace the motor with an ATK rebuilt, and replace the hoses. The clown that did the work, tossed the spring with the old hose. Thinking about hitting a salvage yard to find another.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I bought mine at the local Mopar store. I was replacing a failed Bosch water pump. The old hose was a PeP boys special and I used the spring from the old hose. The spring had disintegrated so, I'm now spring free. No issues

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.