Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 JGC Limited v8 with 133k miles. Dual zone automatic climate control. The heat works fine on both sides but I have very low air flow coming from the vents. The center-left vent blows air out fine but the center-right vent is weak as well as the driver, passenger, and floor vents. Vents for the defroster produce good air flow. I can adjust the fan level and hear it making more noise but the airflow out of the vents is little to none.

I have taken out the glove box and done a little exploring. Mainly because I wanted to rule out a blend door issue. Turns out the previous owner had the blend doors replaced and I could see where the piece of plastic was cut away. Whoever did the repair job really half blanked it. Broken screw mounts for the blend door motor and such, terrible duct tape job to re-secure the plastic piece that was cutout to access the blend doors. While inspecting this I did notice a lot of airflow coming through is area where the plastic piece was cut away. So i'm linking I'm losing a little airflow there. I re-secured that plastic piece and tried my best to seal up any areas where air could leak out but there was only a marginal improvement in the airflow to the vents.

When I run the diagnostic on the automatic climate control it shows a 20 which has something to do with the recirc door travel. I inspected the recirc door and it was working just fine - opens and closes just fine.

Do you all have any suggestions/ideas as to what else I should check besides taking apart the dash and console to get at that area?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Some of the Limited's have a cabin air filter under the cowling. An extremely clogged Cabin Air Filter could be associated with some air flow loss. Other than that, if you're not losing any power at the blower motor, such as it not blowing as it should, I would point at a blend door or recir door.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply KonLegend. I've inspected the recirc door and it operates just fine. I also think the blend doors are okay as I verified the passenger one is okay and I do get heat on the driver's side. What confuses me is the difference in air flow coming from the various vents. Great airflow coming from the left center vent, poor airflow from the right center vent?? Poor airflow through all other vents (far driver's side, far passenger side, and floor vents)

I'll check that cabin air filter. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Be aware that no Jeeps came with cabin air filters. If yours has it, it was installed as a Mopar accessory.

There isn't much else to the HVAC system. If your blower motor is clear and all of your doors are working correctly, there is relatively little else to restrict air flow other than the heater core and EVAP core. It's fair to assume that if both work, they are probably not causing an issue. So here is my thought. Since your recirc door works, I would say it's fair to assume that it's been replaced, which means the dash has been out. There is an interface between the dash and the HVAC box where all the different vents originate, and around it is a foam seal, seen in the center section of the picture below (the one on top). When I had my dash out, the foam was barely attached and moved around, blocking the vents. I noticed this before hand and replaced the entire seal with vinyl foam tape, but if it weren't lined up properly, it could cause low flow to both the far drivers side and far passenger side dash vents. Unfortunately, it would require dash removal to fix. But note that this would not restrict flow to the floor vents. The defroster and floor vents do not use this interface (the main defrost vents, anyway), so if your floor vents are getting low flow too, this probably isn't the issue. As I recall, though, the passenger floor vent seems to get a fair amount stronger flow of air than the driver side, so check both sides.

Also, by design, the driver side center vent seems to get better flow than the passenger center vent. I haven't examined the vent structure, but it seems like air is just coming from the passenger side dash and isn't properly redirected by the time it comes out the center, making the driver vent dispense most of the air.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply, suggestions, and picture Scholtzky. The previous owner did have someone take apart the dash, again half assed it. The passenger side airbag and wood molding is loose. It looks like it's kinda sticking out and you can apply forward pressure to it and there is some movement. Any idea where the screws were supposed to go to secure that piece? That probably explains why I found several random screws lying inbetween the center console and chairs :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Open glovebox then lower glovebox on back of glove box there is a airfilter slot for (2) small air filters replace them I took mine out and they weighed a 1/4 pound a piece my air is at max flow now hope this helps

·
Registered
413 Posts
On my '04, the center vents weren't blowing much at all. The others were fairly good. I removed the vent trim, and the front part of the vents [that direct the air forward] had separated from the main box. I pushed it back in place and sealed it with heavy duty duct tape, then went over it with hvac tape (the silver stuff). Much better now. Before, the air was just blowing into the interior of the dash.

If I ever have to pull the dash, and you know I will, I will redo all the air ducts and seals.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply, suggestions, and picture Scholtzky. The previous owner did have someone take apart the dash, again half assed it. The passenger side airbag and wood molding is loose. It looks like it's kinda sticking out and you can apply forward pressure to it and there is some movement. Any idea where the screws were supposed to go to secure that piece? That probably explains why I found several random screws lying inbetween the center console and chairs :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
2001 JGC Limited v8 with 133k miles. Dual zone automatic climate control. The heat works fine on both sides but I have very low air flow coming from the vents. The center-left vent blows air out fine but the center-right vent is weak as well as the driver, passenger, and floor vents. Vents for the defroster produce good air flow. I can adjust the fan level and hear it making more noise but the airflow out of the vents is little to none.

I have taken out the glove box and done a little exploring. Mainly because I wanted to rule out a blend door issue. Turns out the previous owner had the blend doors replaced and I could see where the piece of plastic was cut away. Whoever did the repair job really half blanked it. Broken screw mounts for the blend door motor and such, terrible duct tape job to re-secure the plastic piece that was cutout to access the blend doors. While inspecting this I did notice a lot of airflow coming through is area where the plastic piece was cut away. So i'm linking I'm losing a little airflow there. I re-secured that plastic piece and tried my best to seal up any areas where air could leak out but there was only a marginal improvement in the airflow to the vents.

When I run the diagnostic on the automatic climate control it shows a 20 which has something to do with the recirc door travel. I inspected the recirc door and it was working just fine - opens and closes just fine.

Do you all have any suggestions/ideas as to what else I should check besides taking apart the dash and console to get at that area?

Thanks for the help!
Did you ever figure out the problem? Thank you

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you that’s a ton of work if you know what you are doing to take off the dash. My concern would be to put the dash back on so I was just trying to find out if the other member found another solution etc. many thanks on the reply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts