Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of just here to vent, as I know nothing about cars :smile2: Frustrated with the many issues I've had with my '15 GC Limited:

135K miles (current) - 1. cam/roller/lifter replacement (started hearing relentless ticking sound); 2. Replacement of radiator after coolant warning light led to the diagnosis of a radiator leak.
124K miles - All 6 sparkplugs, ignition coil and evap purge line replaced after dealer noted "all were worn, cracked and falling apart." Vehicle had been shaking with check-engine light coming on.
120k miles - Replacement of a shot transfer case (loud noise was coming from under the vehicle).
??? miles - A shot headlight and electrical wiring cost me $900

Pretty good with oil changes, and I recall getting a 100K mile service done.

I've easily dropped 5K-6K just in this last year. My '06 Acura TSX went to 208K miles without a hiccup. Only reason I replaced it was because it was totaled in an accident. With that said, I still love the Jeep and am browsing the new GC's. (I'm a sucker I guess).

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, welcome first; my wife is on her 2nd Acura so I have some knowledge....as for the jeep, I'm on my 4th..first 3 were GCs (still have the 2008) and my current driver is a GC Trailhawk. I started w/ jeeps for specific applications (snow, sand) but my short answer is this...my experiences of course....unless u have an extended service contract, find a reputable independent mechanic. Paying out of pocket for those repairs at a dealer....just can't imagine (if indeed they were all necessary). Yes, I'm very cynical regarding jeep dealer service, but I have a long track record. Good luck!:smile2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! And I appreciate that advice. An independent and trustworthy mechanic is something for me to think about. The Trailhawk is sexy.. I've been checking those out, too! Take care and Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I actually got rid of an older Acura earlier this year. First car I had in a long time that I actually hated. Yes, they supposedly have great liability, but I found the stuff that goes wrong is expensive or difficult to fix, like faded clearcoat, dashboard cracks, funky electronics and evap canister and for my particular model, the transmission was a ticking time bomb, in fact the person I sold it to was using that to bargain me down. I also don't like timing belts and the thing required premium fuel. Actually sold it to get a Chevy HHR which I can fix with a hammer and pliers, lol.

Yes, Jeeps have problems but they usually are cheap or easy to fix - I'm on my fourth Grand Cherokee, and had a couple of XJ Cherokees before that and while they occasionally needed repairs, they were easily repaired, usually by myself, or almost any corner mechanic can fix them. The key is to shop around when getting repairs done - some places will obviously try to gouge you but like I said, you can take them to pretty much any competent mechanic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@CheapGuy thanks for the feedback as well. Not shopping around for repairs seems to be where I've gone wrong. Interesting about your Acura experience... it sounds like the Chevy was a good move!

·
Registered
423 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I just got socked for $700+ for costs and labor of batteries and related parts..(not covered under service contract)...can't wait to see the bill tomorrow...all to fix remote start, auto stop-start and other electronic glitches. My mechanic checked the batteries last week, said they were fine. Oh well......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts