281 - 300 of 2502 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
That should do the trick. :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
*Determined* not to bend you stuff again, eh? :D (BTW that stuff would be so sweet for custom shotgun barrels...:drool:)

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
*Determined* not to bend you stuff again, eh? :D (BTW that stuff would be so sweet for custom shotgun barrels...:drool:)
Bound and determined. If I do break or bend it...well I'm doing something right or I fell off a cliff.

I could see that tube being used for shotgun barrels. I wish my roll cage was made out of that stuff.

Ohhh :drool: wk knuckle. I'm definitely interested how this works for you! I was thinking of doing this isntead of the $500 dollar hi-steer kit when I go SOA.
Actually it's a Teraflex hi-steer knuckle. I got a sweet deal on all the stuff. I'm thinking about flipping the tie rod and reaming the top of the knuckle. However it's already reamed from the bottom for a 1 ton TRE. I may lay it out in CAD and see how it looks with a taper from the top. If I have enough so the rod end won't pull through I'll do it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Actually it's a Teraflex hi-steer knuckle. I got a sweet deal on all the stuff. I'm thinking about flipping the tie rod and reaming the top of the knuckle. However it's already reamed from the bottom for a 1 ton TRE. I may lay it out in CAD and see how it looks with a taper from the top. If I have enough so the rod end won't pull through I'll do it.
My mistake! They look similar.

I have a few questions because I'm doing some research and came to some information you might know.

RRO has a "kit" for the high steer, including the bracket, drag link and tie rod for $500, or JB4x4 is selling just the bracket for $150.

My question is: would it be better / cheaper to make my own drag link / tie rod?

And why did you choose TRE over Heim?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, sir.

EDIT:: Sorry, man. I'm stupid and didn't realize the RRO has drag / tie over the springs where the JB4x4 has the tie rod under springs.

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
My mistake! They look similar.

I have a few questions because I'm doing some research and came to some information you might know.

RRO has a "kit" for the high steer, including the bracket, drag link and tie rod for $500, or JB4x4 is selling just the bracket for $150.

My question is: would it be better / cheaper to make my own drag link / tie rod?

And why did you choose TRE over Heim?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, sir.
I don't have experience with the RRO OTT kit but firefighter315 has it based on this thread you know all too well. A lot of good info in there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/whats-best-hi-steer-kit-1349846/

I'd ask him about that kit. I looked at it but I didn't want to go with a bracket to attached to my knuckle. Just my preference though. I have a friend running the M.O.R.E. bracket and he loves it. There are also a lot of guys using them on the forum and they all seem happy as well. As for making the linkages yourself it may be cheaper. I thought about it and priced some stuff out but I couldn't source the DOM tubing unless I bought 24' of it plus I'd have to order the bungs.

I also looked at JCR Off-Road's 1 Ton OTK kit for about $350 shipped. But I also thought I could get it cheaper from Ruff Stuff with their DIY kit but after shipping it would have been close to the JCR kit but it came with heim joints. I chose TRE's over heim joints because I wanted something I could replace at any parts store in the event I tear it up. Then again if I tear it up it will probably be catastrophic.

To be honest I never thought I would get a "hi-steer" knuckle. My original plan was to just get some beefy linkages and flip the tie rod. Then I got an offer on the knuckle and some linkages for the same cost I was looking at all these kits so I couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If you somehow *do* break or bend something with this setup, then you were in over your head. shizz man, you could use that tie rod for olympic weightlifting.

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
If you somehow *do* break or bend something with this setup, then you were in over your head. shizz man, you could use that tie rod for olympic weightlifting.
I was thinking it would be a nice place to put a floor jack under when I need to lift the front end of the jeep. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I was thinking it would be a nice place to put a floor jack under when I need to lift the front end of the jeep. :rofl:
I bet you could store a bunch of tools and emergency supplies inside it. No, seriously. A wrenching buddy of mine from way back tells me how they used to store a few extra gallons of gas inside the rollcage at the speedway till they got caught and changed the rules... yep, the cage was also an extra tank...

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
I bet you could store a bunch of tools and emergency supplies inside it. No, seriously. A wrenching buddy of mine from way back tells me how they used to store a few extra gallons of gas inside the rollcage at the speedway till they got caught and changed the rules... yep, the cage was also an extra tank...
I could put the usual stuff; matches, rag, pocket knife, extra change of clothes, some snacks, etc. :rofl:

I've heard of folks using their cages and bumpers for storing compressed air but never fuel. :eyebulge:

·
Registered
816 Posts
I don't have experience with the RRO OTT kit but firefighter315 has it based on this thread you know all too well. A lot of good info in there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/whats-best-hi-steer-kit-1349846/

I'd ask him about that kit. I looked at it but I didn't want to go with a bracket to attached to my knuckle. Just my preference though. I have a friend running the M.O.R.E. bracket and he loves it. There are also a lot of guys using them on the forum and they all seem happy as well. As for making the linkages yourself it may be cheaper. I thought about it and priced some stuff out but I couldn't source the DOM tubing unless I bought 24' of it plus I'd have to order the bungs.

I also looked at JCR Off-Road's 1 Ton OTK kit for about $350 shipped. But I also thought I could get it cheaper from Ruff Stuff with their DIY kit but after shipping it would have been close to the JCR kit but it came with heim joints. I chose TRE's over heim joints because I wanted something I could replace at any parts store in the event I tear it up. Then again if I tear it up it will probably be catastrophic.

To be honest I never thought I would get a "hi-steer" knuckle. My original plan was to just get some beefy linkages and flip the tie rod. Then I got an offer on the knuckle and some linkages for the same cost I was looking at all these kits so I couldn't pass it up.
I forgot about that thread. Thanks for your info. Any idea where I can get the bungs from? I'll have to call some places tomorrow and see if I can get a deal on DOM tubing + bungs and see what I can do. I definitely want a beefy setup like you! And after re-reading that thread and doing a bit more research I think I know what I'm gonna do for my steering correction, as long as I can figure out the drag link / tie rods.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My two steering links cost me, $148.00 including shipping.

DOM = $50.00
TRE's = $35.00
inserts= $30.00
locking jam nuts = $33.00

281 - 300 of 2502 Posts