Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
2441 - 2460 of 2583 Posts

·
Typical /f12 Hooligan
6,932 Posts
@Luuca did this with a mag drill. It’s a particular area, a little fragile emotionally. Without a mag drill I was too fragile emotionally to attempt that…👩‍🍼
[/QUOTE]

If the block is out of the vehicle, this should be manageable by hand. Just undersize the bit so that any walking is not lethal. Correct any OOR with the tapping set by removing more material.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,442 ·
I got another engine stand for $40. Even got it delivered by the seller. I was at Home Depot and the only reducer bushing they did not have was 3/8” to 1/8”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,443 ·
I got both engines on their own stands and stuck my pocket knife in the freeze plug hole in the back or the block and it’s very apparent that there is more sludge than I thought back there…

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,444 · (Edited)
We had a gnarly monsoon last night and I passed by this Patriot. Sadly, it didn’t know that not all Jeeps are created equal…

In PHX we have washes that direct the storm water. But the washes also cross streets:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Wow. If looks like you could use that and some bricks to build a wall. I remember reading about and seeing the pics of what you were flushing out earlier in the thread. If after all of that work you still had that much in your engine, how are your supposed to clear it out? That looks nasty.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,447 ·
Well, I think the only way to remove that crud is to pull the motor out. I’ve flushed many, many times with various chemicals and that stuff has just piled up there.

I will take the block somewhere in the far off future to get it cleaned up and maybe bored out.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I got both engines on their own stands and stuck my pocket knife in the freeze plug hole in the back or the block and it’s very apparent that there is more sludge than I thought back there…

Looks like casting sand. AMC was notorious for not even trying to remove all the sand from their blocks, I thought Chrysler was better at it. Depending on how bad it is this may have been the reason for the overheating in the first place.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,450 ·
In my teen years I put that pellet stop leak in my radiator but that’s straight up grit. I’ll dig some more out tomorrow and inspect.

I need to pressure wash the donor motor next.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,451 ·
I have a question about what water pump to use on the "new" donor motor.

I have my FlowCooler water pump I took off my old 4.0L. It's not that old and worked fine at low speeds.

I also have a genuine, brand new Mopar water pump I got from a dealer in North Carolina.

I'm leaning towards the FlowCooler and keeping the Mopar for a future 4.7L stroker or to use if the Mopar fails. That's the first thought at least.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Your pocket knife mining project justified some thoughts that I have had for a long time. I still suspect though that you have have a teeny weeny crack through a head gasket metal sealing ring around a cylinder. Or even excessive warpage at the block or head.

My 87 creeps up in temp at times on the highway. I have posted pics of the heater core I removed. It is an Arizona Jeep that the cooling system was neglected. I flushed and flushed it a zillion ways and had good heat and then still ended up with the plugged core.... again. Sediment is a b!tcxh. There are also lazy areas in a cooling system which are almost impossible to flush. This is why my plan is to pull my engine for several reasons other than this and get this right the first time.

Good post Louie. You came across an issue that has haunted you. That junk on your knife is evil.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,454 ·
Thanks Jim. That will be the plan.

Boojo35, that was some nasty grit and there’s plenty more in there. I’m sure it contributed to my issues but I would not be surprised if there is a faulty head gasket. I’ll know more when I take the head off. I have it on a stand I picked up for $40 so just taking my time.

·
Premium Member
10,970 Posts
also have a genuine, brand new Mopar water pump
Maybe I’m making no sense but I’d use the Mopar (probably a Delco) since of all things the flowkooler was part of the overheating so to me I’d just set the flokooler aside and use what oem thought was good. Less variables.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,456 ·
Maybe I’m making no sense but I’d use the Mopar (probably a Delco) since of all things the flowkooler was part of the overheating so to me I’d just set the flokooler aside and use what oem thought was good. Less variables.
I’m impartial either way. The FlowCooler was a new part thrown at the problem and purchased with Q-Tec money from a past YJOTM win. Yet the problem persisted, so I would not place any partial fault on it specifically.

However, the Mopar water pump is what I spent the real money on and it’s been sitting in a box for the last year or two. Maybe it will be good to have a fresh OEM pump for the donor so I have that warm fuzzy feeling.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I had a very dear friend, GOD rest his soul that spent part of his career working as an engineer at Ford Motor Co. and his specialty was cooling systems and more specifically water pumps and cavitation. We had some interesting discussions about it over some adult beverages more than once. It has made me leery of FlowCoolers claims. Sure, having a significant increase in flow at low RPMs will help a guy that is crawling at low speeds in a hot climate but there can be a downside at higher RPMs such as on the highway. I cannot scientifically state if this is true with FlowCooler pumps but it has always been in the back of my mind about them. More flow can be a bad thing because cavitation can actually slow down flow it it exists. I never understood how dark of a science this was before Kevin started working in that department.

I like your progress Louie. You have made a couple of good scores along the way. I wish you the best of luck on this. You have hung in there and obviously love your YJ.

Reactions: shaggyjim

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,459 ·
For those who are curious, I have some pics of the FlowCooler and Mopar water pumps side by side. My Tapatalk app isn't loading threads so I'm on the ol' laptop.

Bojoo35, I've had my YJ a long, long time. I took my wife on our first date, rode many, many off road parks, and used it for daily driving while I was in school. It has a lot of sentimental value for me.

Attachments

2441 - 2460 of 2583 Posts