Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
2381 - 2400 of 2583 Posts

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,381 ·
An LS swap sounds great but I have limited time and I really just need plug and play. I don’t drive it much unless I get that rare wheelin’ trip.

Man I sound like a Debbie Downer, haha. Just tough to commit to that with my time being so limited. I literally only get to work on my jeep at lunch time once a week if I’m lucky…but summer is coming…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
First off you aren't being a Debbie Downer, you are being practical. If it would take months, years to do an LS swap it is definitely not worth it then. A low mileage stock 4.0L seems like the best option. A weekend swap would be ideal then for you, well if you ever get a weekend lol.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,384 ·
Gracias. My goal is to get it up and running again and put a few miles on it then get it parked and pull the motor in the late spring early summer. Or in my case just summer. Bonus comes in middle of March but we want to pay off a chunk of my wife’s car and we just booked a vacation to Carmel and Sonoma. Going to road trip the Gladiator up there.

So I hope I can squeeze a couple grand out or do a no interest paypal credit plan.

·
Registered
11,792 Posts
Gracias. My goal is to get it up and running again and put a few miles on it then get it parked and pull the motor in the late spring early summer. Or in my case just summer. Bonus comes in middle of March but we want to pay off a chunk of my wife’s car and we just booked a vacation to Carmel and Sonoma. Going to road trip the Gladiator up there.

So I hope I can squeeze a couple grand out or do a no interest paypal credit plan.

Lol, if you're not there yet, you're just gonna LOVE following her around downtown Carmel window shopping at stuff you absolutely cannot afford and don't like!! (ask me how I know) 😁
And wine tasting in Napa/Sonoma is waaaaaaay pricey... assuming you like wine. 😉
But it is really pretty and cool up there! Have a great time whenever you're going. 👍

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,386 ·
Carmel should be fun, I just want to relax and I think she does too. We actually went up the west coast to Napa 11 years ago when we got engaged. We were younger and a little more frugal but now we are in a little better financial situation, so we intend to enjoy ourselves.

Jeep update, I got the old spring hanger off finally. I strategically grinded the welds and got my chisel out and got them off and then used a flap disc to smooth it out. I also took the paint off the new hanger to get ready for welding. I just need to burn it in. Hopefully in the next few days. Pics to come.

·
Registered
11,792 Posts
Carmel should be fun, I just want to relax and I think she does too.
Cool.
Couple tips... Ocean view road around lighthouse point near Pacific Grove is fun/scenic. If you go all the way down to the end of Ocean Ave. (main street) in Carmel, there is parking for Carmel Beach, and you can walk over and see part of Pebble beach GC. (remember to bring your beach chairs, lol) You can also take Scenic road @ the end of Ocean ave. and that's also a nice little drive along the beach and ending up @ Carmel River beach. From there you can visit Carmel Mission if you're into that kind of thing.
Of course there are the more tourist spots, like fisherman wharf, Monterey aquarium in cannery row, bla, bla, bla.

Napa is huge and a lot to see, but one spot we usually stop at is a winery V. Sattui on hwy 128/29. You can purchase the wine there and they have a nice picnic grounds w/tables to enjoy your vino/snacks!
Have fun driving thru SF on your way to Napa... and hope you don't get a flat tire from all the hypodermic needles laying around! 😜

Reactions: Sundodger

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,389 ·
Thanks for the tips, gentlemen.

I have some steel laying around I can use for reinforcement.

And I’ll definitely take your advise on the scenic areas in Carmel. As for Napa, I had to look at photos but one winery we went to was V. Sattui!

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,390 ·
Went riding with Greg and Ash and some other fine folks at Table Mesa today.

Upon riding for a bit I found out all my spring u-bolts where finger loose. I need to lengthen my drag link and fill up my PS reservoir. I also puked some engine oil out of the air box opening and onto the frame. I really need a new motor. My new springs performed well and are much more stable. My PSC steering box is tight and I don’t feel like I’m going to fly off the interstate and roll 5 times.

Some other issues: Leaking t-case, need to put an exhaust hanger in somewhere.

Finally, I bought a weboost signal booster for riding out where I don’t get coverage. I went from no bars to 2 and LTE. Pleased with the purchase.

Of course, I have no photos of my jeep on this right ;)

·
Administrator
21,420 Posts
Being out of your house sucks. A friend had a tree fall through the roof and it took forever to get the process moving to get it fixed and back in.

When I first got my jeep I did not know about jeepforum and had no frame of reference so I sent out the 4.2 for a rebuild. I don't regret it because it's a good solid tractor motor but knowing what I do now I think I would go with 4.3 V6 mated to a 700r4 transmission. they are very available, fairly light and plenty of power. I have not taken the time to do independent research but have seen a couple and it's a good package.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,400 ·
My restoration still isn't entirely complete. The restoration company still needs to do touch-ups. I still have $20k from insurance I owe them...but not until they are done.

As for the motor, I'm really just looking for a replacement. I know it's boring and doesn't make sense to most but I don't drive my YJ enough to really justify it. I also don't have the time to rebuild it and put anything that's not a bolt in. If my kids were older then maybe. At this point, a new engine will probably be night and day difference. I would also prefer to put extra money towards getting 4.56 or 4.88 gears at some point. I wanted a Golem 4.6L but at $6k it doesn't seem like a good idea. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on buying anything so it could change. I get my bonus this week so I'm hoping to put my order in soon.

2381 - 2400 of 2583 Posts