Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
2361 - 2380 of 2589 Posts

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,364 ·
That's what I'll do, just flip the bolt. Never had an interference issue with my OEM box, but this one has a bigger bore.

Got my rebuild kit today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,366 ·
Yes. The delivery box was 8”x8”x6” and I gave it to my wife because I thought it was hers. I was surprised to find out it was the kit.

I pulled the ball out of the u-joint holder but could not get the little race out. I broke two chisels trying to remove it. Still haven’t gotten it out.

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
pulled the ball out of the u-joint holder but could not get the little race out. I broke two chisels trying to remove it. Still haven't gotten it out
I think the ball yoke is available as a complete? A few more bucks maybe but it would cure it, right?

Pull out the welder and run a QUICK bead around the inside about a third of the circumference. It will shrink and come out. Gotta be quick so it doesn't penetrate cuz then, well, it ain't coming out, is it?

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,368 ·
I think the ball yoke is available as a complete? A few more bucks maybe but it would cure it, right?

Pull out the welder and run a QUICK bead around the inside about a third of the circumference. It will shrink and come out. Gotta be quick so it doesn't penetrate cuz then, well, it ain't coming out, is it?
A new yoke and centering ball is about $92 + tax. last time I bought a new one (Spicer) it was maybe $45. The rebuild kit is $30 and it's a Spicer part. I thought it would be simple but alas...it's not. I may try putting bead on it.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,369 ·
Got my rear springs on and I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought they would be really tall but it seems reasonable and they will settle. Just need to do the front now and rebuild my rear driveshaft.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,370 ·
I got three springs on until I got to the drivers side. The holes were just too wallered out and oblong. The 9/16" bolt moves way too much. Luckily I have a spare spring hanger ready to go on…I just need to cut the old one off and weld new on.

The side shot is deceiving because the hole is pretty large but the other hole mask it.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Mine were doing the same thing and would clunk badly changing speed. You might want to weld a 9/16 washer to the outside of the new hanger to beaf it up a little bit and keep it round.

Or links.... links don’t do that.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,373 ·
Good eye.

It was used to widen the other spring hangers. The poly bushings are about 3/16” thicker on each side versus the OEM spring eyes. I went from OEM bastard packs to the RE with poly bushings.

Links are a dream when I have time…I don’t have time. I feel like Im spending time at my actual house with my jeep like a mistress :)

And then return to my rental to my family.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,375 ·
My jeep is still sitting at my house house but I hope to move back in soon and put my last leaf spring and hanger on.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,376 · (Edited)
I figured I should put up an update. I moved back into my house after 6 months of living elsewhere due to water damage back in July. I've been back in since right before the new year and it's great being back in my own home. With that said, I take about an hour to cut and grind on the jeep. I'm still working on getting my driver front spring hanger cut all the way off so I can weld on my new one. I have the new one from years back replacing another. I forgot how much of a pain in the *** it is to cut the old spring hangers off. Once I get it back on, I can put my last new RE SOA spring on, put my rear driveshaft in, bleed the brakes and get it on the road a little. Once I get it back driving I need to park it again and get another engine to replace my oh so very tired 4.0. I found some on FB marketplace for less than $1k but I do want it to be a new one and even better would be a Golem but that's in the $6k range.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Its hard to justify the stroker given how much I actually drive it, but it sure would be nice to have when I do take it out. I'll try to get a pic later today of my "progress".

Also...Go Dawgs!

Not only did my home state get a World Series, my alma mater won the national championship as well.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I figured I should put up an update. I moved back into my house after 6 months of living elsewhere due to water damage back in July. I've been back in since right before the new year and it's great being back in my own home. With that said, I take about an hour to cut and grind on the jeep. I'm still working on getting my driver front spring hanger cut all the way off so I can weld on my new one. I have the new one from years back replacing another. I forgot how much of a pain in the *** it is to cut the old spring hangers off. Once I get it back on, I can put my last new RE SOA spring on, put my rear driveshaft in, bleed the brakes and get it on the road a little. Once I get it back driving I need to park it again and get another engine to replace my oh so very tired 4.0. I found some on FB marketplace for less than $1k but I do want it to be a new one and even better would be a Golem but that's in the $6k range.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Its hard to justify the stroker given how much I actually drive it, but it sure would be nice to have when I do take it out. I'll try to get a pic later today of my "progress".

Also...Go Dawgs!

Not only did my home state get a World Series, my alma mater won the national championship as well.
First off congrats on being back in your home.

The engine decision is a tough one. if you got a used one, it would make the most sense toe rebuild it prior to tossing it in. but if you do that then get one already rebuilt. but then a bit more just get a stroker. It does make sense to stick with either the 4.0 or get a stroker, "easier" installs. A V8 swap could/should be cheaper but then you have to do a lot of fitment modifications, and it might not even be what you are looking for.

Definitely the year for Georgia, well in two sports.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,378 ·
Thanks! I will probably peruse the interwebs for a low mileage 4.0L and also look for a new one. I need to see what my bonus looks like also, since that can impact my decision.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Hate to say it.. LS is probably going to give you the most bang for your buck.

Easy swap, mods are endless, and tons and tons of support out on the inter webs for doing the job.

My fingers are crossed that your bonus is way more then you expect and a Diesel swap is in on the way!!

2361 - 2380 of 2589 Posts