Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
2341 - 2360 of 2583 Posts

·
Registered
11,792 Posts
It's going to be so tall. I hope they settle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On that note; might want to factor in the settling when setting up the pinion angle.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,343 ·
On that note; might want to factor in the settling when setting up the pinion angle.
Most definitely. I have 2 degree shims now that I tried to correct the angle from the spring sag. Now the pinion angle is like this /\ versus this \/ after the spring failure.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,344 ·
Yesterday was my birthday and I took off work to just wrench on the jeep. That's kind of like my spa day but instead of getting clean and relaxed, you get dirty and achy at the end of the day but the mental cleansing is the key.

I installed my new brake master cylinder to replace my OEM one. The reservoir was cracked due to heat and dry rot. It also clearly had a leak at some point but never got to the point of a drip. I bench bled it with the awful kit that came with it and got brake fluid every where.

Next I took the winch off and pulled the power cables out to put new lugs on it with my crimpers.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,345 ·
I also took my bumper off to get access to the steering box. My PSC box comes in today. I determined my OEM box was not rebuildable after striking gold and having it run in a small stream of glitter out the hose fittings on the box.

I also took my rear springs off so I can put my RE 1.5" SOA ones in.

I also removed my rear driveshaft to freshen up the u-joints and put a new centering ball yoke in. I replaced mine on the trail in Moab with one that was old and dried out but still had the needle bearings.

One more bit of good news is I determined the 8.8 pinion flange pinion nut was loose, not a bad bearing. So I need to figure out how to get it to stay.

·
Premium Member
8,779 Posts
Dang Louie, you had a busy day. If the pinion nut is backing off on its own then you probably need a new one. Did you regear that 8.8?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,348 ·
Here is the spare rear driveshaft. They are stretched to match what full droop looks like. So the spare will work…as a spare.

I just need a flange adapter now.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,349 ·
I learned why the dude was selling it now. The yoke on the slip joint was Beaten so bad the snap ring groove closed up. I plan to get a dremel and grind a groove back in it. For $30, I can't even buy a u-joint so I will make it work or get it repaired.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I learned why the dude was selling it now. The yoke on the slip joint was Beaten so bad the snap ring groove closed up. I plan to get a dremel and grind a groove back in it. For $30, I can't even buy a u-joint so I will make it work or get it repaired.
A dremel with a cutoff wheel should work great and if not Dennys driveshaft has new yokes.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
8,779 Posts
Thats definitely a rock magnet. Better spray bomb it black so the rocks can't see it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,357 ·
As soon as I say “I’ve never bashed a rock on my steering box…” well, we know how that ends.

My centering ball rebuild kit has shipped but I’m still waiting on my spring bushings. Once I get the bushings, I’ll have what I need to put the jeep back together.

I used up all my fancy 751 PS fluid but I need to top It off and I have O’Reillys fluid handy…maybe I can mix a little.

·
Registered
11,792 Posts
Hmm? Is that PSC box able to use a YJ PS box brace? Did you ever have one?. It's been so long ago, but the new box end looks tapered? Can't remember if the OEM was? Guess it would still work?

2341 - 2360 of 2583 Posts