Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I would like to have a game changer. I took my dad's work bench, vise, press, etc. for granted back when I lived with my folks. Now that I'm kind of grown up, I should get that kind of stuff.
The first project in my garage was building a workbench. my is rather big but its because i have the space. If you dont just a 2'x4' workbench does wonders. And it doesnt have to be very expensive either. A vise is also a priceless tool to have. prior to buying my house in December i was in a townhouse and an apartment with no space for a workbench do i know how handy it truly is to have those items.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
My busted rear driveshaft. I used my Mac Vise and got it fixed.

The next day my steering locked up coming out of the Maverick gas station so I just drove it into the landscape to get it off the road. I replaced the pump but it still locked here and there. Not sure if it's the box or not. Replacing behind the O'Reilly's in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sucks to hear about some of the issues you had. Did the steering improve once you replaced the box? What springs are you running, how old are they? I really want to go SOA but keep seeing people bend their springs, I guess that can happen regardless.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Moab 2023!!

That is probably similar to my schedule.... keep me in the loop. :)
I have done some route planning and from my house it would take roughly 30 hours of road time (2050 miles). I was thinking about a 3 day travel time there and back, then roughly 5-7 days there to wheel.

Spring or Fall of 2023 would be ideal or 2024. I would have enough leave built up to then take a full two weeks of leave. Also it would give me enough time to get the rig dialed in, a roof top tent or camper for the bed of my truck and my trailer setup the way I want for that long trek.

It is definitely on the bucket list and it would be awesome to include a big YJ group to go!! I will definitely keep you in the loop!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
The steering improved but it felt a lot sloppier for some reason and still locked on occasion. Maybe sloppy isn't the right word, the pump probably was working well but my steering box may be the culprit. I didn't replace that. I'm not sure if I should upgrade or get a replacement stock one.

My springs are bastard packs I built a while ago. They are YJ rears with an added main but I never finished my anti wrap bar and never extended my bump stops.

Have you considered a Durango box upgrade? Or even Hydro Assist?

So some finishing touches for the SOA conversion would have helped prevent some of the bending?

Also I forgot to ask earlier but how was the Jeep's Temp while at Moab? Any overheating or higher temps?

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I would recommend 4.88s as well. Might seem a bit much for the 35s but if the plan is 37s then I would definitely prep for that with 4.88 gears.

Are you going to do an engine swap, rebuild or upgrade? Or just keep going until the engine blows?

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I figured I should put up an update. I moved back into my house after 6 months of living elsewhere due to water damage back in July. I've been back in since right before the new year and it's great being back in my own home. With that said, I take about an hour to cut and grind on the jeep. I'm still working on getting my driver front spring hanger cut all the way off so I can weld on my new one. I have the new one from years back replacing another. I forgot how much of a pain in the *** it is to cut the old spring hangers off. Once I get it back on, I can put my last new RE SOA spring on, put my rear driveshaft in, bleed the brakes and get it on the road a little. Once I get it back driving I need to park it again and get another engine to replace my oh so very tired 4.0. I found some on FB marketplace for less than $1k but I do want it to be a new one and even better would be a Golem but that's in the $6k range.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Its hard to justify the stroker given how much I actually drive it, but it sure would be nice to have when I do take it out. I'll try to get a pic later today of my "progress".

Also...Go Dawgs!

Not only did my home state get a World Series, my alma mater won the national championship as well.
First off congrats on being back in your home.

The engine decision is a tough one. if you got a used one, it would make the most sense toe rebuild it prior to tossing it in. but if you do that then get one already rebuilt. but then a bit more just get a stroker. It does make sense to stick with either the 4.0 or get a stroker, "easier" installs. A V8 swap could/should be cheaper but then you have to do a lot of fitment modifications, and it might not even be what you are looking for.

Definitely the year for Georgia, well in two sports.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
First off you aren't being a Debbie Downer, you are being practical. If it would take months, years to do an LS swap it is definitely not worth it then. A low mileage stock 4.0L seems like the best option. A weekend swap would be ideal then for you, well if you ever get a weekend lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts