Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, finally took her to the mechanic shop since i haven't had the time or energy to work on her myself lately now with a kid and all. got it back just in time to take a 600 mile round trip. on the way down, noticed lots of smoke and burning oil smell when we stopped at the halfway point. looked underneath and saw oil EVERYWHERE from the engine block all the way back to my rear axle. oil not reading significantly low (still between ADD and FULL), so topped off and got to where i was going. found oil pressure sensor was toast (sensor rotating in the metal housing and o-ring split).

Now looks like ccv/pcv are leaking. and possibly valve cover again. had AC recharged at the shop and looks like the low pressure line is dripping/leaking from where the rubber meets the metal directly over the thermostat housing and valve cover flange.

also now having to top off coolant, appears to be leaking from the top of thermostat housing, but that's also where ccv is leaking and ac leaking...SO WHO KNOWS. fingers crossed it's actually leaking and not burning off (head gasket). this is what i get for praising older jeep's reliability to a friend the other day!

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Just as likely the oil pan gasket is leaking onto the cats. Less likely it's the VC gasket if you used the fel-pro kit. Both of my '04's have this issue (4.7HO for both).
Also the front crank seal is probably weeping, Power steering pump may be weeping too.

OPSU is a common leak item when it fails. Easy to swap out. Repeat in about 4 years. Grab the new one form auto-zone or advance so it is warranted for replacement.

That coolant issue is the one that would get my attention. The water pump gasket is known to fail and will look like it's coming from the tstat housing. When it seriously fails, it will empty the coolant in about 20 minutes of driving with little warning other than smell and then increasing temp while there is still enough liquid to touch the sensor and read hot.

Reactions: Fiddlybits2

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
When I bought mine it leaked like a net, seemingly for every point an engine could leak from and a couple places they normally do not. After 2 years I can say now it is leak free....for the moment. Of course this was after replacing, not in any order, lol
Oil pan, rusted through and leaked onto the cats, made quite the cloud.
CCV/PCV system, replaced everything and modified it using a PCV from a later Hemi and a catch can.
O-ring on cam pos sensor, replaced with hardware store o-ring.
Oil press sensor, twice.
Both valve covers, Fel Pro's fixed that.
Behind the P/S pump on the head is a large plastic plug in the hole to access the timing chain guide bolt, it was leaking. RTV fixed that.
Stat housing, new stat fixed that.
Transmission pan rusted through.
After all that as well as both front axle seals and pinion seal, one rear axle seal, and a radiator it is now leak free! For this week....

Reactions: CJREX and WJ60

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got a leak on the P-side of course. Dripping in the middle of the VC low bottom, Odd since it never smoked until I personally recharged the AC. I wasn't sure if it was refrigerant oil or engine oil. Doesn't have the sweet smell of MO, or transmisson. It more a chemically burnt smell. Im a prayin it aint a cylinder hed. what ever it is its leakin on the exhaust manifold and casuing quite the cloud.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
well, finally took her to the mechanic shop since i haven't had the time or energy to work on her myself lately now with a kid and all. got it back just in time to take a 600 mile round trip. on the way down, noticed lots of smoke and burning oil smell when we stopped at the halfway point. looked underneath and saw oil EVERYWHERE from the engine block all the way back to my rear axle. What did you say when you saw all that oil please C? oil not reading significantly low (still between ADD and FULL), so topped off and got to where i was going. found oil pressure sensor was toast (sensor rotating in the metal housing and o-ring split).

Now looks like ccv/pcv are leaking. and possibly valve cover again. had AC recharged at the shop and looks like the low pressure line is dripping/leaking from where the rubber meets the metal directly over the thermostat housing and valve cover flange.

also now having to top off coolant, appears to be leaking from the top of thermostat housing, but that's also where ccv is leaking and ac leaking..SO WHO KNOWS. fingers crossed it's actually leaking and not burning off (head gasket). this is what i get for praising older jeep's reliability to a friend the other day!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I often refer to my Jeep engine as the 4.7 Leaker with High Output.

Oil pan gasket is next on my list.

I fixed my valve cover gasket leaks with Fel Pro and literally 2 days later the oil pan gasket went, making a stinkier mess than the VC leaks ever did.

I swear it's like a hydra. Fix one leak and 2 more appear.

Reactions: Delta0

·
Registered
2002 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7
174 Posts
well, finally took her to the mechanic shop since i haven't had the time or energy to work on her myself lately now with a kid and all. got it back just in time to take a 600 mile round trip. on the way down, noticed lots of smoke and burning oil smell when we stopped at the halfway point. looked underneath and saw oil EVERYWHERE from the engine block all the way back to my rear axle. oil not reading significantly low (still between ADD and FULL), so topped off and got to where i was going. found oil pressure sensor was toast (sensor rotating in the metal housing and o-ring split).

also now having to top off coolant, appears to be leaking from the top of thermostat housing, but that's also where ccv is leaking and ac leaking...SO WHO KNOWS. fingers crossed it's actually leaking and not burning off (head gasket). this is what i get for praising older jeep's reliability to a friend the other day!
see if the oil filter it tight. check the oil fill plastic which holds the PVC tube is the plastic fixture tight to the engine...

·
Mopar Nut
586 Posts
Some oil filter issues I have experienced over the years, as many of you have likely seen as well. FYI:

A co-worker complaining about an oil leak after an oil change on his Kia. Turned out to be a failed Napa Gold (WIX) filter, that was leaking at the top rolled seam.

A neighbor removed a filter, only for the o-ring to remain stuck on the mating face, installed a new filter now doubling up the o-rings. It then leaks between the 2 o-rings.

I personally failed to lube the o-ring on a new filter once upon a teenage-know-it-all time, only for the the o-ring to bunch up on the mating surface and roll under itself as I tightened it gorilla style (a know-it-all of course knows nothing can be too tight), creating a leak. I had to stab a screwdriver through it to remove it, because gorilla.

Another co-worker arched a wrench from the starter to the just installed oil filter, burning a pin hole in it. It shot oil like a drunken pee stream as soon as he fired it up.....

More than once have I tightened a loose and leaking drain plugs on one of my parent or sister's car after a drive-thru oil change.

Bonus tale of a dum-dum : A 15yr old know-it-all me (after all, I was in my 2nd year of high school auto shop, so of course I was an expert) decided I could do a trans service on Dad's 1978 Thunderbird. Noting the 11qt capacity in the owner's manual, I bought a case of ATF. At about quart 9, a massive puddle started growing around my feet as fluid overflowed out of the vent tube. After my brother calling me an idiot and explaining about torque converters, I cleaned up the mess, spent an hour siphoning cold thick fluid out of the dip stick tube, and fired it up. Yet another puddle forms around my shoes, then I note ATF spraying from all around the trans pan like a sprinkler head. Called an idiot again as I am smacked on the back of the head, brother explains torque ratings for pan bolts. I was not to work on Dad's car for a solid 5yrs after that, and there is still a faint 35yr old 6ft diameter stain on his garage floor from the ATF bloodbath....

The moral(s) here is even trusted quality brands can fail, stupid people think they are smart, and even smart people makes mistakes.

Reactions: Double E

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Last time I tried the screwdriver method, the screwdriver tore through the can because the metal was so flimsy.

Clears throat and . . . well, you know the rest :)

The screwdriver method was standard practice in Merrie Olde England at one time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts