Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

LOST 2002 Jeep Wrangler

2805 Views 28 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  JLH
Hey guys,
I'm looking to try an enlist a little help from the Jeep community. My 2002 Jeep Wrangler X was stolen from in front of my house this morning in Houston, TX. Police have been notified but I'm trying to get as many eyes out there as I can, and the truth is you all are going to be the best suited for this.
I've contacted a local Jeep shop, Tactical Jeeps, and they are also spreading the word, but again, any help would be appreciated.
Here is a basic description of my Jeep:
Khaki paint (Tan) with half doors and a black soft top
Stock wheels
Cracked windshield
Expired DoD decal top center of windshield
Vinyl American flag decal upper windshield passenger side
Silver USAA Bumper sticker
Brand new (installed last night) Texas Disabled Veteran License Plates with Army Crest on left side 3DVVHM
Please contact the HPD or law enforcement if you see it.
-Eric
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll keep an eye out for it!

Good luck on getting it back!

I've really been thinking about getting one of the various GPS trackers... Wonder if my insurance would give me a discount if I had one.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I did pass the details along to a friend in Houston CBP. I realized last night that the plastic pieces in the road where the Jeep was parked were the remains of my ignition lock cylinder. So now I know at least how they did it. I'll let you all know if I ever get it back. Thanks again!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Color Update

More and more I'm being told it either went South or was parted out. On the off chance though I wanted to clarify the color. It was called Light Khaki Metallic. I'm attaching a picture of a similar jeep for reference until I find a good one of mine.

Attachments

· Registered
310 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm looking to try an enlist a little help from the Jeep community. My 2002 Jeep Wrangler X was stolen from in front of my house this morning in Houston, TX. Police have been notified but I'm trying to get as many eyes out there as I can, and the truth is you all are going to be the best suited for this.
I've contacted a local Jeep shop, Tactical Jeeps, and they are also spreading the word, but again, any help would be appreciated.
Here is a basic description of my Jeep:
Khaki paint (Tan) with half doors and a black soft top
Stock wheels
Cracked windshield
Expired DoD decal top center of windshield
Vinyl American flag decal upper windshield passenger side
Silver USAA Bumper sticker
Brand new (installed last night) Texas Disabled Veteran License Plates with Army Crest on left side 3DVVHM
Please contact the HPD or law enforcement if you see it.
-Eric
Hoping you have some news on your ride?

2015 Deep Cherry Crystal FDII PATRIOT

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Recovered!!!

Hey All,
I received a call from HPD that the Jeep was recovered. I have yet to see it, with the floods and everything, the tow company, insurance, and body shop have been swamped. Hopefully I'll get eyes on this week and can provide some details on what they did and what they took.
Thanks all for the support and keeping your eyes out.
:cheers2:

· Registered
310 Posts
Hey All,
I received a call from HPD that the Jeep was recovered. I have yet to see it, with the floods and everything, the tow company, insurance, and body shop have been swamped. Hopefully I'll get eyes on this week and can provide some details on what they did and what they took.
Thanks all for the support and keeping your eyes out.
:cheers2:
Here's to hoping it was just a little test drive and they were kind to your ride! Glad it's found!

2015 Baja Yellow JK SPORT 2door

· Registered
238 Posts
Good news!

hopefully its in the same shape they took it in!

Once you see it, and get more info, let us know what happened!
Particularly, how did they start/take it.

Does the jeep have the SKIM system with the grey transponder keys?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, so I'm not optimistic at this point. Keeping my fingers crossed...
I went by the Jeep dealership body shop this morning. I could see something was way off as I was walking up to it, but I wasn't prepared for what they'd done (I probably should have been). It didn't have a key fob, this was a bare bones Wrangler X. I am going to install a fuel pump kill switch and probably a hidden push button starter... If I can get it back.
Starting from the outside and working in:
Exterior:
Side mirrors were removed
Back window on the soft top shredded
Spare tire and carrier removed
Driver side door lock bent and jimmied (Seriously, why not cut my windows!! :mad:)
Interior:
Interior filled with trash - specifically large stuff teddy bear, multiple pillows, and the bench seat from a dodge truck
All seats removed
Dash smashed - just tore everything out
glove box removed
vents torn out smashed
tape deck torn out, broken, left hanging
MOPAR subwoofer gone
Cup holders and boots for hand break gone
random wires torn
Ignition cylinder smashed (metal broken)

Engine looks ok, oil was clean, Hoping the tranny is ok, battery was torn out so we couldn't run it
The body shop guy said it was going to be close to the limit... I think it'll probably be totaled. I'm going to look to get it back as a salvage and nurse it back to health but I am pretty sure this jeep is going to be down and out for awhile.

Attachments

· Registered
214 Posts
Well if it is close to the limit, sometimes you can work with the insurance company to make sure it's not totaled. The adjusters have some leeway with whether to total it or not. Depending on how much they offer if they total it, I don't know if I would buy it back or just go find another one. The work itself doesn't sound bad and you could get it road worthy very easily but you are going to have to deal with a lot of mess to rebuild the title and it will always be devalued because the title is rebuilt. Hopefully they don't total it and you get back on the road in a week or two.

· Registered
1,021 Posts
That's sad. You just always wonder why???
Unfortunately we live in a world where "RESPECT" for others property, and human life for that matter, doesn't exist when you're dealing with "Subhuman Scum"!!!! :rantscream:

Cav3000...
She can be rebuilt...she can be better that before!!! Good Luck!

· Registered
2,633 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, I can only hope they catch those SOB's:rantscream: and put them away for some time :ballchain:

I do agree sometimes all of those little things they F'd up cost a fortune if you have to purchase them from the dealer. And a salvaged title at least here in CA really limits the resale later down the road. Now if your plan is to keep your jeep for ever than that doesn't really matter.

Either way hope you get back out on the trails.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.