Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendation for a cheap long arm upgrade kit? Not the full kit just a bolt on front upgrade. Also, if I'm running at 6 inches in the front in 1.5 coil spacers should I have to replace with full springs so that they dont pull off the bump stops at full flex?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
There is no cheap kit. but, with the $600 rough country kit you do get a skid plate (however weak or strong it really is)

·
Premium Member
14,195 Posts
The IRO or rough country upgrades are the cheapest. I have been pleased with all of my IRO products so far. I have their 3" kit on my WJ as well as their control arms. The biggest difference in the two is the IRO kit only has one upper arm, where the RC kit has two, and the RC kit comes with a built in skid plate. I think I would go with rough country if it were me, but wouldn't rule out the IRO upgrade either.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I agree. With the price being so close between IRO and RC, either one would be a great kit. The RC long arms should be stronger due to the additional upper arm, but IRO kit is super easy to setup. You dont have to adjust the length of the arms, just set the bracket for caster and your done.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Cheap = Weak.

Buy drop brackets and use those for now and do it right later or you'll regret it.
Seeing as the cheapest kits out there are $600 and those are just for the long arms used in $1500-2000 kits.
$600 isn't cheap in my opinion, but being the cheapest option doesn't make it weak.

·
Registered
252 Posts
when compared to something like Staangs Fab that are only a few hundred more than those it just doesnt make sense to penny pinch. Run drop brackets until you can afford it and just do it right the first time.

Neither RC or IRO have life time warranties, so for me im saving and buying Staangs. your money though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheap = Weak.

Buy drop brackets and use those for now and do it right later or you'll regret it.
Just curious but do you have personal experience with this? I agree alot of times cheap does equal weak but I wouldn't just assume that just because of the price. From a manufacturing standpoint it could be cheaper because rough country is a large company that is mass producing products. The more you produce the cheaper it gets.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Neither RC or IRO have life time warranties, so for me im saving and buying Staangs. your money though.
IRO does

Iron Rock Off Road's Warranty:
All products manufactured by Iron Rock Off Road, Inc. are guaranteed to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for as long as you own the product. If your product ever fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship we will replace it free of charge, excluding shipping and handling. This warranty does not apply to corrosion, finish, or normal wear. This warranty is non-transferable. Misuse, modification in any way, or any use other than the product's designed purpose will void the warranty. Iron Rock Off Road control arms come with a lifetime unbendable guarantee. If you bend or break a control arm on or off road, we will replace it. Products not manufactured by Iron Rock Off Road, Inc. will be subject to the product manufacturer's warranty. Claims must be made to that manufacturer. Custom parts are non-returnable, non-refundable.
So does RC

Rough Country Suspension Systems offers a Lifetime Replacement Warranty on all suspension products including Shocks and Stabilizers*.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Having installed both the IRO and RC kits on two Jeeps and been wheeling with both, they are both good kits. The IRO kit is much easier to install (but less mounting points than RC) and has better ground clearance. The RC kit is nice in that is comes with a skid plate but it is a little bit more difficult to install. For the people saying the IRO LA kit is weak have never wheeled with it. The downside to the RC long arms is that they hang down lower and will scrap on obstacles before the IRO long arms. The plus side of the RC is that it does have more mounting points than the IRO kit. Also it is possible to get the RC kit for under $600 if you shop around so that would make it a good deal.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Also, if I'm running at 6 inches in the front in 1.5 coil spacers should I have to replace with full springs so that they dont pull off the bump stops at full flex?
wait ur running 6 inches of lift consisting of coil spacers???? if so yes you do need a set of springs. sorry if i'm misunderstanding this, can you explain your setup?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
wait ur running 6 inches of lift consisting of coil spacers???? if so yes you do need a set of springs. sorry if i'm misunderstanding this, can you explain your setup?
I thing he means that since that he has a 1.5" spacer with a 4.5 in spring. And since the coil spacer doesn't move at full flex the coil will come out from around the bump stop. While a 6" spring would remain around the bump because its longer.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
when compared to something like Staangs Fab that are only a few hundred more than those it just doesnt make sense to penny pinch. Run drop brackets until you can afford it and just do it right the first time.

Wow..that Staang kit looks strikingly like the Claytons LA kit......hmmmm.

I have the IRO LA upgrade. Its awesome, but im sure the RC kit would work fine also.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just curious but do you have personal experience with this? I agree alot of times cheap does equal weak but I wouldn't just assume that just because of the price. From a manufacturing standpoint it could be cheaper because rough country is a large company that is mass producing products. The more you produce the cheaper it gets.
I've seen the RC cross member get bent up pretty bad wheeling and they didnt replace it.

I'm not saying I wouldnt buy RC, I'm buying my 3.5" kit from them however for a LA upgrade i'll be going SF because their stuff is ridiculously overbuilt.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
http://www.diamondintheroughfab.com/jeep-cherokee-long-arm.html

I just put these arms on my MJ, they come with a nice bolt on cross member/skid. It's pretty heavy duty stuff, You get actual good parts for less than what you'll pay for a rusty's kit. lol
The link only shows the arms and the ends, which look nice! They don't show the Trans mount cross-member for some reason.

Can you post a few pictures of the cross member?

The price is right if the CM is substantial.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yea, I can get some pictures of the CM up this weekend. I let a buddy borrow my jeep so I don't have it. :(

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The 4x4 industry is much like the cycling industry. Many of those who can afford the most expensive insist that the rest is crap. I dont buy into that. Look at what you are getting for $600 from IRO or RC. If those pieces were for some other industry, would $600 be considered cheap? Probably not. You can make quality longarms for $600 and still make money off of them. Charging twice as much and selling 1/4 the amount would make you similar money, but thats not what these companies are about. The marketers would have you believing that paying more gets you better quality, but that is only sometimes true. And there is a such thing as "good enough".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.