Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I recently began smelling burnt wires in my 01 Sport, and isolated to the light switch. I purchased a new replacement switch and began installing it last night. When I pulled the plug off, I saw that it had been burnt BADLY! The fat green wire seems to be the worst. (H?)
Did the switch cause this, or does this indicate another problem altogether? I've heard that the XJ headlight circuit is weak, and is one of the most common upgrades.
If I wire in a new plug, will this happen again? Are there any other things I should check-clean-upgrade,etc...? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If it were me, I would look for an OEM one from Chrysler....or a NOS one on Ebay. Last resort may be a boneyard....see if there are any left around there.

Personally, I would NOT go for a reop one from overseas. It seems that too many aftermarket things (especially electronic and metal components) these days are just crap; no quality control. I've noticed this the past several years for small accessory parts for cars.

Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

GL

·
Real Jeeps have dents
29,298 Posts
On the stock Cherokee, all the headlight power travels through the light switch. This leads to damaged wires and switches and poor headlight performance.

Upgrade your headlight wire harness to a harness that has relays. This will reduce the power load on the headlamp switch, extend the switch lifespan, prevent potential dashboard fires, and will give increased headlight output.

eautoworks.com make a low cost H-4 wire harness with relays. It is a bit cheap and flimsy, but mine has lasted 3+ years now. There are other higher cost H-4 wire harnesses or you can build your own very easily.

See this - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/eautoworks-headlight-harness-1133291/

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harness

I stopped in at the stealership after work today (was going to see how bad it was gonna be) only to learn that;A) they don't sell just the plug end, and B) they don't carry parts for vehicles over ten years old (WTF?). Is this common practice now? Funny how I'm still seeing an awful lot of XJs on the road...
Anyway-does that eautoworks harness come with the plug end and some really good instructions? The picture in the ad is only a sample, and I'm the type that wants to at least see what I'm buying if I cant put my hands on it.;)
Also: I bought a factory fog lamp wiring kit to install this spring. Will that still work with the headlight wiring upgrade?

·
Registered
16 Posts
And if you want a new one, try Ebay #250790324267.

Don't know where they are made, but the shipping is free.

EM

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
you will still need to make the same repair, the new harness will just keep you from having to do it again.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Switch Plug Again...

96upcountry-good thread. Very informative. Sounds like something even I can handle.:rolleyes: I think one of the coolest things about it is the fact that you don't have to go tearing out half of your engine bay to get to stuff! The 100 % satisfaction rate is encouraging, too.
Getting back to the plug though; (remember-I'm on the cheap) would it be too hilljack to eliminate the plug altogether and just go with rubber-coated spade terminals (female)? The one I slid on there for reference was a really good fit. A color-coded chart would be a must-could probably fasten it to the back of the knee blocker. Since I'll be running with the harness upgrade up front, I don't think an overheated switch would be a major concern anymore.
This would also be a good excuse to lengthen the wires so it isn't such a hassle getting stuff apart and back together again. Opinions, please-anyone?
Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
hilljack

I have a switch wired to my starter for hilljack tech. Someone else might know better. You could probably find one at the JY.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wiring Harness

I just finished reading and printing FitchVA's how-to on the wiring harness. That was impressive to say the least. I'll be going that route. I like the idea of being able to assemble and route this thing with quality parts (read alot of disappointment with faulty components in the kits failing)-ONCE!! Now that the time crunch is off, I can do this project at my own pace...
As far as the switch plug goes; I'm gonna go the hilljack route I wrote about earlier. I'm having a difficult time finding just the plug and no harness (big $$$.$$ for the harness+completely gutting the dash=no thanks).
Thanks for everyones input, and steering me in the right direction!:cheers2:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You can put relays on your lights. Then the headlight switch only needs the small amt of current to activate the relays and will last a lot longer. And your lights will work better in the process.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts