Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

lifting a grand cherokee

12K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  horatio102 
#1 ·
ok i have a 95 grand cherokee orvis. i want to lift it. there are soo many lifts to choose from. i have been told to go with the 2 in budget lift. with the spacers and dampers. the jeep has the up country suspension on it. some one told me if i go above 3 1/2 inches on the lift, i will get alot of speed wobble and alot of vibrations. what should i go with???

#3 ·
Nobody actually lifts a Grand Cherokee.... but if you must. A budget spacer boost is by far the cheapest and easiest lift, you shouldnt have any problem with the up country springs and spacers. if money isnt an issue, then get a basic IROn rock 4" for like 800$. or a long arm kit for a few grand. (P.S. Not every lfted jeep gets death wobble though.)

#6 ·
For a good reliable lift with excelent handleing carecteristics I would go with the Skyjacker 3" lift. You will be able to go with 31" tires (a bit close with the 2" budget boost) and it is reasonably priced. I ran this lift back in the day and was very pleased with it. No death wobble and I didn't even run a steering damper (never have even with 8" of lift and speeds over 70 mph).

#10 ·
Just a heads up, like some were saying you wont get death wobble with every lift. Believe it or not with my 2.25" coil spacer lift I had really bad death wobble, when I upgraded to the IRO 4.5" lift kit I have no death wobble what so ever. The only kind of vibration that I get are from my tires, and thats only because they are mudders. If you want to go w/ a cheap lift check out 4wheelcustoms.com they have the 2.25" coil spacers and some RE shocks for 216.99 and I loved the lift on my ZJ.

#12 ·
dish1600 said:
are there any cheap 3 or 4 inch lifts out there??? or should i go with the budget lift?and what companies do u reccomend?? i have been looking at the rubicon express budget lift. how good is that.
The first things I always ask my customers with regard to lifts are:

What size tires do you plan to install?

What sort of offroading do you plan to do? Just relatively mild trail work, or any rockcrawling?

And finally, what's your budget? Lifts can be configured from a couple hundred to a couple thousand bucks, depending on your answers to the above questions. It's a complex topic, and a lift is best taylored to the individual customer's requirements, rather than provided as a standardized package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.