Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past two weeks, I've dealt with the whole: "Liftgate Open" on the VIC while i'm driving home from work late at night. While this flashes on the VIC, the dome lights flash as well.

Two times I've woken up in the middle of the night with my alarm going off, once I had to disconnect the battery, the other time I pulled off the rear hatch trim and started unplugging wires.

I thought I had the problem solved, by unplugging some things, but it didn't work.

What exactly do I need to clean/replace in the rear hatch to correct this issue?

Thanks a lot.

·
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS
7,908 Posts
There is a sensor that tells the vic and your alarm I believe that the hatch is closed. I can't remember exactly what it looks like but I believe its on the latch itself and not the actuator. Not sure though. Its the flashing of the dome lights that seems out of place but I don't have a clue on that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the liftgate is open, all of your lights will come on (when its working correctly). Well, my VIC will say that the liftgate is open for a second, lights will turn on, then something will happen where it's working correctly and knows my liftgate clearly isn't open and the lights will turn off.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Can you push/pull/bang on the liftgate near the latches and duplicate it? Either an open liftgate or liftglass gives that message. Switch is part of the latch on both. One of the latches may be worn and not closing far enough. Might need a new latch, or the quick/easy way is just pull the connector off to disable it.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Sorry posted wrong info so I'm editing.

There's a switch connected to the door latch. From what I remember, I just disconnected mine so the vehicle thinks the rear door is always closed. Problem is that now I need to make sure I close the rear hatch properly since I'll never get a warning.

The switch itself is held in place on the latch, not the liftgate handle. You may have to remove the latch to get the thing disconnected. I can't remember if just leaving it disconnected or shorting the two wires is what makes it work, but both are safe to try. One will tell the vehicle the door is ajar and the other will indicate it is closed.

On mine, I removed the switch from the latch, and found there's a small metal bar that sits in two positions depending on if the door is open or closed. When it's closed, the bar moves to where the sensor is, pushing a small button that opens the circuit. My issue was that bar was broken on my good latch, so I just removed the connector and the VIC warning is gone.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, after neglecting to take pictures, I finally have some.

Is that what I need to adjust?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Alright, after neglecting to take pictures, I finally have some.

Is that what I need to adjust?
That switch is part of the latch assembly and expensive to replace.

I was having the same problem for the past few weeks, then the other day I used air to blow the latch assembly clean and spared some lithium grease on it and the problem went away.
May have just been a dirty sticky switch.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I made a mistake, read some info the other day about a person making a bracket and replacing that squire black switch saying it was the door ajar switch.

The red one is for shutting off the alarm.

The large squire black one shows if the door is locked or unlocked.

Down inside the liftgate mounted on the latch you will find the door ajar switch.
Replacements run $24 online or $30 from the dealer. I got one, but after cleaning and oiling the old one it's working fine.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, thanks for the help guys. After driving home from work at midnight, it flashed the entire way home over every little bump in the road. Fed up, I got out with the key in the "run" position, closed all the doors, opened the hatch, removed the hatch panel in a rage, and unplugged everything while watching the VIC, finally unplugged the right one which is exactly what you posted.

(Took your picture, and edited it with an arrow)

I'll remove it tomorrow and clean it up and see if it solved the problem.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You can always stop your inside lights from flashing while you solve this by pushing in that back dome light and it will disable the inside lights from coming on when the liftgate/glass is open or thinks its open..

·
Registered
884 Posts
Here's a better photo of the switch and the part number.
To remove it, undo the screw and rotate the switch, then pull.
Unplugging the wire will fool your jeep into thinking the liftgate is closed.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can always stop your inside lights from flashing while you solve this by pushing in that back dome light and it will disable the inside lights from coming on when the liftgate/glass is open or thinks its open..
You're absolutely right... I just recently discovered that feature while at the drive in a couple of weeks ago.

Here's a better photo of the switch and the part number.
To remove it, undo the screw and rotate the switch, then pull.
Unplugging the wire will fool your jeep into thinking the liftgate is closed.
Thanks for the information. I don't mind the hatch being fooled, as long as my lights don't flash while I drive and I get strange looks from other drivers at night. Eventually i'll solve the problem, but this will work as a meanwhile solution.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took out the latch and handle mechanism today, lubed them up with some white lithium grease, even though I couldn't manage to get the mechanisms open. Broke off the black switch that is attached to the handle mechanism, from the handle mechanism. (Will eventually fix) Unplugged it at first, but realized that the top window popper doesn't work, unless the black switch is plugged in, so I plugged it back in.

Also, adjusted the handle by unhooking the threaded rod and scooting it up a few threads. Works wonderfully now. Eventually I will replace some of the things I have broken.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I started getting the liftgate open alarm again, so I installed the new switch last night.
Takes about an hour to replace it and get everything buttoned back up.
Also, it sure opens easer with the latch all lubricated.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I was still having problems with my alarm going off, and I recently added 2 more horns making it very loud.
It want off over and over 2 nights last week while I was away and someone discounted my battery to stop it.

I had already replaced the switch on the liftgate latch, but there is also one on the liftgate flipper glass latch.

Unplugging the wire from the switch will keep it from tripping, which is what I did until I got a new one for about $28.

Here you can see how the old one is worn down shorter or maybe just sticking.

Here's where it's mounted on the latch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.