Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 5.9

Just purchased this jeep. Don't like the way the 33's sit.

Was told it has an old sagging 3" front to back swap with 2" spacers.

There is 5.5" of wheel well clearance in the front and 7" of wheel well in the rear. Want to level it out.

TEMPORARILY I was thinking I'd get new 5.5" front springs. Later get 4.5" rears as money allows.

Can anyone tell from info given if buying the new front springs will level out the jeep?? I know this isn't exactly the best description but feel free to ask questions...

Side Note - the rear tires are not centered in the wheel well. Looking for upper/lower adj control arms for the rear.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
appropriate spacers woul be the cheap route for the front, coils by preference

the arc the rear tire suspension travels on goes backwards/up at the same time. so you dont want the rear tire to be centered in the wheel well, you want it to be closer to the front

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for looking and posting. ;) I understand how the suspension moves when it cycles and am not new to lifted short arm suspensions. The rear axle placement statement was more of a "hey if your upgrading to long arms and have adj rear arms I'd be interested in buying them".

Back to the original question, since I'm not really sure how much lift I have in the rear, I'm sort of making an educated guess at what I need to level out the front. Again 5.5" of wheel well in the front and 7" in the rear. 33x12.5s on 15x10s with 3.75" of backspacing.

Does anyone have any idea if front 5.5" Rusty's springs will level out the rig??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
jeep looks great!

ive heard that the rustys coils have sagging issues. ive heard nothing but good from BDS, IRO, and RE coils. ive heard that IRO and RE's 4.5" coils give around 5".

only other thing i have to add is that did you take the extra weight into concideration? between the v-8 and arb the front coils have there work cut out for them.

sooo you should let me take that arb off ur hands and lighten up the front! see i solved ur problem! ;)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Back to the original question, since I'm not really sure how much lift I have in the rear, I'm sort of making an educated guess at what I need to level out the front.
You could measure and find out exactly how much lift you have still...

Measure from the center of your hub to the edge of your fender. 18" is roughly stock.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeep looks great!

ive heard that the rustys coils have sagging issues. ive heard nothing but good from BDS, IRO, and RE coils. ive heard that IRO and RE's 4.5" coils give around 5".

only other thing i have to add is that did you take the extra weight into concideration? between the v-8 and arb the front coils have there work cut out for them.

sooo you should let me take that arb off ur hands and lighten up the front! see i solved ur problem! ;)
Weight : yeah that's another reason I thought 5.5" in the front and 4.5" in the rear would work for me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could measure and find out exactly how much lift you have still...

Measure from the center of your hub to the edge of your fender. 18" is roughly stock.
Thanks ! that helps a lot !! :cheers2:

and that's the front axle right ? what's the measurement supposed to be in the rear ?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
We talked over texts, but for everyone else. The 18" measurement is for both front and rear. It's what they are new, so expect some degree of sagging, but that's a good number to shoot for.

·
Jeep Jedi Master
20,417 Posts
If you want to replace the springs, check out Iron Rock offroad.

Hunter

·
Registered
356 Posts
looks good! but imo those 10" wide rims make it look like crap, id chuck em if that was my ZJ!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like fat rims/tires. My favorite rim tire package ( that I've owned ) was my 15x10 steel beadlocks with Comp Compound 38.5x16x15 Baja Claws ! Those wheels were amazing !!

Sexy Sexy !!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
been considering just ordering a complete kit since the cost of new shocks and springs isn't far off from an entire kit! I've heard the new Rough Country X series stuff is much better than the old stuff. Anyone have any experience with that ?

What I'm considering ....
4" RC - $750 6 control arms with single flex joints
4.5" IRO - $675 no control arms
4" Zone $583 4 fixed lower arms

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
ive delt with the Zone kit and i like it other then it dosnt come with trackbars and the coils settle to around 3.5". we put 2" spacers on top and it worked out perfect.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks. the Zone is out of the question now. sorry.

I've actually been toying with selling my entire suspension and buying a long arm now. . . .

I just don't have a good reason right now. i can adjust the arm lengths a little and clear the front a little more and the rear doesn't rub I just don't like the look and rake of the lift.

I bet if the lift were on another rig the front wouldn't sit as low cause I have that heavy bumper and winch up front.

I'm still a bit new to JeepForum - can I post a feeler thread asking for interest in my suspension??

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Yes but youll have better luck over on Great Lakes.

I normally come here for questions and Great Lakes for sales. if you do end up selling il take the ca's off ur hands! :)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
depends on what they are. if its all 8 adjustibles then yes.

just post a feeler on GL. im sure youl get bites for individual pieces.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
frts are adjustables upr/lwr

rr has fixed lowers stock uppers

it does have adj frt / rr track bars though

and JKS discos in frt

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
you'll need atleast adjustable uppers in the rear, but sounds good other than that

1 - 20 of 31 Posts