Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im putting my lift on this week now i know i need to disconnect swaybars trackbars, what other things do i need to disconnect to make the install easier and whats the best way to do it without a spring compressor, a step by step would be great

·
Registered
314 Posts
Your best bet would be to support the frame with jackstands and then lower the axle enough until you can muscle the spring on. You may even need to disconnect the control arms to gain enough clearance. Once its down have a buddy put their weight on the axle while you push the spring in. If you dont have a pal handy, make sure you have a pry-bar. Watch out for the differential breather tube when lowering the axle. Also, have fun with the upper rear shock mounts. All I can say is have an air chisel at the ready.

Good luck, I just put my 2.5" lift in and it was a bear, so I cant even imagine what 3" would be like.

·
Premium Member
26,495 Posts
To help get spring in, use your floor jack to jack up the wheel opposite the one you are working on. Pushing it up will help push the side you are working on down to create room for switching springs.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
I'd disconnect the shocks too, but that's just me. We didn't use a spring compressor for either our 4.5" or 5.5" lift. A pair of 12-ton jack stands and a couple pair of 6-tons really help here. Are your front brake lines going to be long enough? You don't want to use them as travel limiters. Be safe!

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
unbolt the upper control arms. that will make things way easier to maneuver.

also watch your brake lines. you may be installing extended ones and if you are you should take the factory ones off first.

I also found that unbolting the front driveshaft made it easier to move the axle around to get the spring in.

by your sig you are doing a 3". shouldn't be to hard.

good luch:cheers2:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unbolt the upper control arms. that will make things way easier to maneuver.

also watch your brake lines. you may be installing extended ones and if you are you should take the factory ones off first.

I also found that unbolting the front driveshaft made it easier to move the axle around to get the spring in.

by your sig you are doing a 3". shouldn't be to hard.

good luch:cheers2:
ive been told to take of lower arms not uppers?

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,002 Posts
ive been told to take of lower arms not uppers?
There's no reason to disconnect any of the control arms.Shocks,sway bar,track bar.Climbit is nutz and has an XJ!
p.s. I thought you already had the RC lift and hated it.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
There's no reason to disconnect any of the control arms.Shocks,sway bar,track bar.Climbit is nutz and has an XJ!
right. because it is inconceivable that I could have ever installed a lift on a TJ, I really don't know anyone who has had me help them lift their TJ:rolleyes:

I only suggested unbolting the upper arms because it makes it EASIER to move the axle around to put the springs in. its not necessary, but for ease it takes about 5 minutes to do both.

and you do realize that XJ's and TJ's have the exact same front suspension right?

What's an XJ? :laugh:
you know, its that Jeep that was designed and introduced before your TJ, had the suspension setup in the front that you have more than 10 years before your jeep was invented. its that jeep that had a 16 year run, how many years did they make TJ's exactly?:p

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
This has helped me three years ago and it might help you aswell:

Universityofjeep.ca

In that page look for the Skyjacker Lift Kit Install on a 99 TJ

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have the rc lift in and it was a pain in the ... to get in their, i hate it so much thats why i bought bilsteins and bds springs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.