Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Liberty 3.7L V6 fuel filter replacement

83985 Views 40 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  rwen1967
What is the guideline for replacement of the fuel filter on the 3.7L V6 Liberty Sport? I've heard conflicting reports as I'll list below. First of all, after reading through the scheduled maintenance in the owner's manual for this motor, I've found no mention of replacing the fuel filter at all. I've also heard on this forum, the following:

1. never replace it because today's refined gasolines are so clean that it isn't necessary.
2. replace it after 30,000 miles
3. replace it after 60.000 miles
4. don't sweat it unless you can tell that there's a problem

I have always changed fuel filters every 30,000 miles on other vehicles I've owned. On older cars I used to change fuel filters every year. One thing that discourages me doing it on the Liberty is that it appears you have to rip the whole rear of the vehicle apart to change the filter. It also appears that to have a dealership do it, would be a pretty high priced operation.
Comments? Ideas????
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
if it aint broke dont fix it...

· Registered
149 Posts
I say don't mess with it unless you're having problems.

Luis

· Registered
1,188 Posts
I vote

E: Don't mess with it because it's rated for 100,000 miles (whatever that means) or some other obnoxious length of time, and IIRS it's inside your fuel tank with the fuel pump and is a PAIN to mess with.

Some have even said that it's a "Lifetime" filter, but whose lifetime? Mine, the Jeep's, or the Filter's? ;)

· Registered
240 Posts
Cards81fan said:
I vote

E: Don't mess with it because it's rated for 100,000 miles (whatever that means) or some other obnoxious length of time, and IIRS it's inside your fuel tank with the fuel pump and is a PAIN to mess with.

Some have even said that it's a "Lifetime" filter, but whose lifetime? Mine, the Jeep's, or the Filter's? ;)

· Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fuel filter

now why would they put a fuel filter in the gas tank???? is that dumb or what? I can't believe that there is ANY filter that's got a lifetime shelf life. I do believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it " maxim. And i certainly don't plan on changing it anytime in the future.

· Registered
240 Posts
lightfoot1976 said:
now why would they put a fuel filter in the gas tank???? is that dumb or what? I can't believe that there is ANY filter that's got a lifetime shelf life. I do believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it " maxim. And i certainly don't plan on changing it anytime in the future.
The gas filter is not inside the gas tank.

· Registered
4,317 Posts
Would it not be easier to run the jeep low on gas and drop the tank? Instead of pulling all the carpet up and pulling off that stupid plate?

· Registered
615 Posts
The fuel filter isn't that hard to change, its right on the front of the tank but it costs $130 though. Ive never been able to have that question answered, Ive talked to many people at DCX (obviously not the right ones!) about why there isn't a regulary service fuel filter. ANd the ones that have an external filter, why they are so expensive. It acts as a fuel pressure regulator along with being a fuel filter, thats the only reason I can come up with for the high price.

· Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fuel filter

This is the only vehicle I've ever owned where I couldn't easily replace the fuel filter every 30,000 miles. If the cost for the dealership is $130 then I'm not changing it for one hell of a long time.

· Registered
240 Posts
lightfoot1976 said:
This is the only vehicle I've ever owned where I couldn't easily replace the fuel filter every 30,000 miles. If the cost for the dealership is $130 then I'm not changing it for one hell of a long time.
Cheaper on-line @ $104.14. Not much savings though for a fuel filter.:(

· Registered
31 Posts
I just went through 2 fuel pumps on my 03 Caravan with only 21000 miles on the clock. After the second pump fried the dealer told me it was a dirty fuel filter causing it to burn, :confused: so they got me for $80 to change the filter ( part only ) the rest was warranty.
My conclusion is... ok dirty filter causes resistance on the pump and eventually fries it, or the first pump was a bad one and they just wanted to get me to buy a new filter.
I hope it was a bad pump because if these fuel filters need to be replaced every 10 or 15,000 miles to keep the pump from failing, I'll sell my Liberty as soon as the first pump goes,

· Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Long Island KJ said:
I just went through 2 fuel pumps on my 03 Caravan with only 21000 miles on the clock. After the second pump fried the dealer told me it was a dirty fuel filter causing it to burn, :confused: so they got me for $80 to change the filter ( part only ) the rest was warranty.
My conclusion is... ok dirty filter causes resistance on the pump and eventually fries it, or the first pump was a bad one and they just wanted to get me to buy a new filter.
I hope it was a bad pump because if these fuel filters need to be replaced every 10 or 15,000 miles to keep the pump from failing, I'll sell my Liberty as soon as the first pump goes,
I don't believe ANY filter is good for the lifetime of a vehicle. It just makes sense to change the fuel filter at least every 30,000 miles, but who's going to do that when its so damned expensive to change a simple thing like that. It should be accessible from under the hood and easy to change like most other fuel filters.

· Registered
250 Posts
Yep that sounds right, the fuel pump/filter is one unit in my 2000 Dodge ram and wrangler. I had to replace the filter/pump on the ram and at 140.00 I was not happy. I just hope that the filter does not go out on my G/F's Liberty.

· Registered
4 Posts
I read my Haynes Repair manual, it told me exactly how to change the filter.
I went to Advance Auto, they said it is listed as NS- "not serviceable."
I went to the dealership in Dover, Oh, They claim there isn't one. WTF?
The parts man told me to take it apart and bring the filter in and "maybe" he can cross reference it.
Really? How do You remove a gas filter, then drive to the dealership? Not to mention the hours of work
it would take, without knowing if a new filter can be obtained. Parts man said" life can be hard". I almost went across the counter!
Can anyone give me a Part Number, Web address to order from? Any useful information?

· Registered
32 Posts
FYI, my wifes '02 Mitsubishi Montero has a "non-serviceable" fuel filter. Dealer said don't worry about it. Have 120K on it now and it runs flawlessly. It also has a "non serv" trans filter/screen. Changing fluids is a dream. Everything has a drain plug, trans, diffs, transfer case. I wish they still sold them here.

· Registered
1,549 Posts
FYI, my wifes '02 Mitsubishi Montero has a "non-serviceable" fuel filter. Dealer said don't worry about it. Have 120K on it now and it runs flawlessly. It also has a "non serv" trans filter/screen. Changing fluids is a dream. Everything has a drain plug, trans, diffs, transfer case. I wish they still sold them here.
My 01 Outback is like that. The tranny has a drain plug and an external screw on filter. Brilliant.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts