Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
341 - 352 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Based on the published weights the trailer is 2205lbs and the VW curb weight is 2200.
Total 4400 or so.
I have towed many things for many years from drill rigs to small boats and that did not give me one waggle or traction or braking issue. I did adjust the load more to rear to reduce tongue after that pic as there was too much weight on tongue lifting front weight too much for comfort. After proper adjustment it did great.
A bit white knuckle just due to the width always on swivel watching sides on narrow roads but it did amazing. No trans temp increase even on PA TP over the blue mountains.

Towed like a champ too from near Detroit to southern Pa.
How much weight are you towing there?

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Based on the published weights the trailer is 2205lbs and the VW curb weight is 2200.
Total 4400 or so.
I have towed many things for many years from drill rigs to small boats and that did not give me one waggle or traction or braking issue. I did adjust the load more to rear to reduce tongue after that pic as there was too much weight on tongue lifting front weight too much for comfort. After proper adjustment it did great.
A bit white knuckle just due to the width always on swivel watching sides on narrow roads but it did amazing. No trans temp increase even on PA TP over the blue mountains.
That is more than double the rated tow capacity of your Jeep. Not wise at all. If you have an accident while towing that much weight, especially if someone gets hurt, you will get fillet'd. And your insurance company will likely not cover it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I def wouldn't make a habit out of that for sure. Funny thing was Uhaul approves that config and payload with a hardtop.
But your points are valid. I have a JLUR diesel now so a bit more capacity if I ever need to pull something close to that now. I don't typically have to tow a car but do pull my boats regularly.

Total 4400 or so.
That is more than double the rated tow capacity of your Jeep. Not wise at all. If you have an accident while towing that much weight, especially if someone gets hurt, you will get fillet'd. And your insurance company will likely not cover it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tow a 1946 Bantam T3-C trailer usually loaded with Rokon or Nethercutt 2 wheel drive motorcycles.

Sometimes the Rokon tows the Bantam. (bad idea)

45 MB also tows the Bantam trailer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,834 Posts
My EcoDiesel does OK towing my Ranger 20’ BB, but at about 3K it’s at its limit in my opinion, and according to the OEM. I love the folks that say they tow something and they don’t even know it back there…lol.

I’ve towed a lot of stuff with my Duramax, from race cars in enclosed trailers weighing 8K lbs, down to my little 16’ Jon boat, with a 20 HP outboard. When I tow my 16’ Jon boat with my Duramax, that is the only time I can honestly say, I don’t feel it behind my truck. That’s because it’s a 7K lbs truck designed for towing, and the little aluminum Jon boat is pretty light, maybe 1500 lbs soaking wet, however; every time I look in the mirror, I am reminded that there is a little boat tale-gating me.

Attachments

341 - 352 of 352 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.