Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
10281 - 10300 of 10301 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Getting ready to list for sale my 06 LJ. Fun to drive but I rarely use it. 34.7k miles. I’ll post some more pics once some buddies help me out hardtop on- have a Gr8tops hardtop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Yeah thats likely the case, the wheels with the lip were probably 2005 and 2006 with the smooth ones being 2003-2004.

Does anyone else with a 6spd LJ have an issue with your Jeep feeling slower than normal or low on power from what it should be?
Mine idles fine, seems like it has all the power it should at low RPMs but once you get on it at like 2200 or above it feels like it hits a wall powerwise and doesnt accelerate like it should. If I stomp it at that rpm it starts to go and feels like you let off half way around 2500 rpm and climbs at that slower rate from there on...
Trying to accelerate in 4th at 3k rpm I can have it at the floor for what seems like forever before it finally gets to 4k rpm and just doesn't move like I think it should, its almost hard to accelerate to merge on the highway and thats trying to run it as high as I can in each gear.

Almost feels like my 02 TJ 5spd on 4.56's, 35's, heavy armor and bumpers and hard top accelerates better than my stock 6spd LJ Rubi on 285s...
Just wanted to update this for anyone that may have seen my comment a few months ago. After a lot of internet searching, I found one thread where someone mentioned the factory tune in the PCM on some 05/06's was just outright bad/wrong and the cause of their low power issues. I had one of the small Edge tuner's laying around from a JK I sold that worked on 98+jeeps and I figured I would give it a try. Its a very simple tuner, just has tow tune, and 3 octane level preset tunes and thats about all you can to do a TJ.

On the 87 octane tune it made a world of difference. My LJ is no racecar, but it finally feels like it has the power it should. And definitely not a placebo affect. Previously I could barely get the engine to rev to 4k RPM while driving in any gear except 1st. I just didn't have the guts to push past 3k, felt like towing a trailer up a hill. Now it can will smoothly and easily accelerate up to redline in each gear if I want to and feels like it has the power it should.

In comparison with my TJ 5spd on 4.56 gears and 35s, the LJ now is able to get up to speed and hold highway speed easier than the heavy built TJ. Whereas before, the LJ struggled to get up to speed merging on a highway and the TJ felt safer and easier to merge, hold highway speed and pass.

·
2006 LJ Rubicon
690 Posts
Just wanted to update this for anyone that may have seen my comment a few months ago. After a lot of internet searching, I found one thread where someone mentioned the factory tune in the PCM on some 05/06's was just outright bad/wrong and the cause of their low power issues. I had one of the small Edge tuner's laying around from a JK I sold that worked on 98+jeeps and I figured I would give it a try. Its a very simple tuner, just has tow tune, and 3 octane level preset tunes and thats about all you can to do a TJ.

On the 87 octane tune it made a world of difference. My LJ is no racecar, but it finally feels like it has the power it should. And definitely not a placebo affect. Previously I could barely get the engine to rev to 4k RPM while driving in any gear except 1st. I just didn't have the guts to push past 3k, felt like towing a trailer up a hill. Now it can will smoothly and easily accelerate up to redline in each gear if I want to and feels like it has the power it should.

In comparison with my TJ 5spd on 4.56 gears and 35s, the LJ now is able to get up to speed and hold highway speed easier than the heavy built TJ. Whereas before, the LJ struggled to get up to speed merging on a highway and the TJ felt safer and easier to merge, hold highway speed and pass.
Was it the CTS3?

·
Registered
9 Posts
what's the difference between Tj and Lj?
The LJ is the unofficial nickname for the Unlimited, which was a longer wheelbase version of the TJ. Launched mid-year 2004, continued through the end of the TJ series in 2006.

Greater towing capacity (maxes out at 3500 pounds instead of 2000), more storage in the back, Dana 44 axles in the rear standard. Rubicon and stick shift were added in 2005.

The Unlimited in 2007, with the JK series, added the rear doors, and Jeep sales since then have been unlimited.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,297 ·
Nice. I love the green LJ. Very rare color. It looks good next to the green JL. That would be a nice set to have.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,298 ·
Awesome to see the "LJ" above offroad at Sand Hollow. A classic in action.

This thread has turned into a pretty cool journey for me. It started when LJs were still pretty new vehicles and I was first looking to get an LJ. Now when I see the pictures above, it feels like a classic Jeep. I think its really cool how the LJ has transformed from being the little known, odd looking, long version of the TJ, to become one of the most sought after classic Jeeps. Who would have guessed the LJ would become such an awesome classic Jeep.

Even though I purchased a 2013 JKUR a few months ago, I still love my LJ. I have no plans to ever sell it. My plan is to take it on cross country trips to the mountains with my kids driving the JK and me in the LJ.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,300 ·
Looks nice and clean. Nice find.

10281 - 10300 of 10301 Posts