Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
Put a white paper towel down and hold it there with some rocks or something like it. See what color the fluid is and the smell it has. Report back here. Alternatively, crawl under there with a flashlight and find the source.
Other possibilities are the OPSU is leaking, the oil filter is loose or as mentioned, the PS system is leaking. Whatever the case, it needs to be addressed.

Also, toss us a bone and tell us what year it is, which engine, how many miles, what service has been done to it and any modifications.

Reactions: Mattimus_LV

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi - here are some 4 photos - please see if anything jumps out at you. It is a 2003 4.0L automatic Laredo WJ with 130,000 miles.

Power steering fluid, oil and transfluid levels are all still fine...

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
When you have a fresh puddle of oil it's pretty easy to look directly above it and determine where it is coming from. If it isn't clear you can start wiping everything down and check for fresh oil after the next drive.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I got down under - here is a video and some still photos. It looks like trans fluid not power steering - also the power steering reserve is not low. The trans fluid is high and very bubbly - I must confess that last month I added a small bottle of Lucas Trans Fix Stop Slip. Please see photos and video. There is a hose clamp there that I could check. Please offer any advice. Thanks!

Here is the youtube link and photos are attached below...

BTW - I did get an oil extraction pump but I have yet to use it...

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
i know its cold, and i know it sucks but get a can or two of degreaser. head to a carwash (do it yourself type) and spray the front of the engine, rad, waterpump, p/s pump, etc. get underneath too. let it sit a while, then spray it down, from top, to bottom. don't blast into electrical connections, or the alternator. drive it home, then get out your flashlight (doesn't matter if it's daytime) and find the leak. you can prophylacticly tighten every hose clamp you see. unless the leak is flowing like the hackensack river, trying to find it through a messy, gooey, oil covered engine bay, is wasting time. clean it up, and look for the leak. if your fluids are all topped off, it can't be that bad of a leak, right?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am looking out my apartment window at Manhattan right now. It is hard to believe - but there are no self wash car wash places within half an hour from here - I have searched. The full serve car wash places don't do engine bays. Is there a place near the hackensack river? Maybe I should just use brake cleaner...

Curious - do you know if the bubbling on the transmission dip stick could be caused by the leak? Also do you know what the hose/line is that I outlined in red? Please see attached photos. I will pull out some of the excess trans fluid tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
I used to worry about bubbles in my trans fluid but I think it is normal for Jeeps. I always checked trans fluid level in park all my life but Jeeps do it differently. I have to double check the manual every time. I guess we have to check it in neutral and be on level enough ground not to get run over.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am looking out my apartment window at Manhattan right now. It is hard to believe - but there are no self wash car wash places within half an hour from here - I have searched. The full serve car wash places don't do engine bays. Is there a place near the hackensack river? Maybe I should just use brake cleaner... Yes.

Curious - do you know if the bubbling on the transmission dip stick could be caused by the leak? Also do you know what the hose/line is that I outlined in red? Please see attached photos. I will pull out some of the excess trans fluid tomorrow.
Your brake cleaner solution is excellent Harv.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used to worry about bubbles in my trans fluid but I think it is normal for Jeeps. I always checked trans fluid level in park all my life but Jeeps do it differently. I have to double check the manual every time. I guess we have to check it in neutral and be on level enough ground not to get run over.
FANTASTIC! I was just googling that issue! I am still a bit overfilled... otherwise I am good to go!

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your brake cleaner solution is excellent Harv.
ALL FIXED NOW!!!

Thanks - I cleaned it up with brake fluid - and it was a simple loose hose clamp. The metal trans cooler lines look kind of surface rusty but neither is leaking now. Has anyone on here ever needed to replace those?

Thanks for all the help - ready to soon head on a 4 hour drive - Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Also do you know what the hose/line is that I outlined in red? Please see attached photos.
Looks to me like the transmission line that runs up to your radiator. The worm drive clamp also tells me it has been modified from factory equipment. Looks pretty wet, could be a leaker.

·
Mopar Nut
375 Posts
Looks like someone cut the OEM steel leaker and replaced it with hose. I would suspect that as noted by Gman.

I had a steel OEM leaker on my 4.7 (really common), which I replaced with braided poly line. Since I used the cut end of the OEM as line as a nipple for the new hose(as in your case as well), I put a slight flare on the steel to make it harder for a line to blow off under pressure. Emphasis on slight, as too much and you'll have trouble getting the hose on. I also used fuel clamps instead of the worm type, as it allowed me to get them really tight without cutting into the hose. A later evolution of this repair was an upgrade to AN fittings in lieu of the OEM steel "nipples" and fuel clamps....

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Service Manual P1475

"STANDARD PROCEDURE - FLUID LEVEL
CHECK
Low fluid level can cause a variety of conditions
because it allows the pump to take in air along with
the fluid. As in any hydraulic system, air bubbles
make the fluid spongy, therefore, pressures will be
low and build up slowly.
Improper filling can also raise the fluid level too
high. When the transmssion has too much fluid, the
geartrain churns up foam and cause the same conditions which occur with a low fluid level.
Fig. 89 Installing Overdrive Housing Seal
1 - SPECIAL TOOL C-3995-A OR C-3972-A
2 - SPECIAL TOOL C-4471
21 - 136 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - 42RE WJ
EXTENSION HOUSING SEAL (Continued)
In either case, air bubbles can cause overheating
and/or fluid oxidation, and varnishing. This can
interfere with normal valve, clutch, and accumulator
operation. Foaming can also result in fluid escaping
from the transmission vent where it may be mistaken for a leak."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts