Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 93 GC 4L Auto has been great for several years but recently has shown signs of a 'lazy PCM' with the CHECK ENGINE Light syndrome as noted by many other owners (truck only starts if the light comes on, otherwise she just cranks endlessly). I have to get this fixed ASAP since the Jeep is my wife's daily driver. Its PCM has the big finned aluminum heatsink sticking up through the potting gel and only 2 capacitors showing. Has anyone had success with replacing the caps on this type of PCM or should I be going to a wrecker to get a replacement? Cheers and the best of the New Year to all...

Steve B:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I found one at our local Jeep wrecker for $150, got to drive out there and try it out right away. Seems like a good price and it is the right one though it seems this is the original model so wonder if it is going to be good, I guess the manufacture date will be on it like mine is, the one we are replacing was made in March 93...

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
The pic below is the capacitors that I bought. I have not done this but I thought I would have them available if I needed them. You need three at $ 1.29/ea they are rated at 35 volts so they are better than the original ones

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks friends and HNY to all...

Hi everyone and thanks, unfortunately I had to park the Jeep since it suddenly became totally unreliable re: starting, and absolutley had to get my wife into a car quick so picked up a little 1994 VW Golf for cheap, actually in great shape...anyway, I think I will solder in new caps and see, I think for up here in the Great White North a hundred and a half may be high but the dealer price sure can't be an option..:( so the caps sound like the best bet to me...also I have a very electronically inclined 35 year old son who loves to solder and who loves a challenge....

Anyway, will post the results - Cheers and Happy New Year to all..

S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.