Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needless to say, this news blows! Loved those tires.

What are you running in lieu of the mud terrains... the BFG All-Terrians?

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I suspect more of the "smaller" tires will slowly be phased out over time as 37's and 40s' are becoming more of the norm. At the same time there is a very large overland community out there that I would think is still running 33s and 35s

I am running the Maxxis razr, first time running a MT so I can not compare with others, but they perform great for me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have... but not too happy about the lack of raised white lettering for the sidewall (I'm more old school). At least with the KM2's you had a choice... white lettering or black wall.

I've had my present BFG's for 10+ yrs and 42K miles. Funny how far the Jeep/wheeling community has gone in 10 years!

More research is needed!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 33's, the Big O Bigfoot ATs right now, but I admit I would not be happy if they did away with the smaller sizes. I have no need for anything bigger than a 35, ever, at least on my current build. I might in the future want a bogger jeep on larger tires, but as mine is also my daily driver, 37+ is just too big to be practical.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
The newer BFG KM3's are nice tires. They hook up well. And they have improved the sidewall strength. But right now they are on back order in my size. Grrrr!. As are the Cooper STT Pros... both of which I'm looking at. I too need new meats for upcoming Moab trip. Sooooo, may be forced to look at something else??? If you can get the KM3's in your size, don't think you'd be disappointed.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Tire rack has comparison charts as do others. A lot of our traditional sized tires are being phased out in favor of metric sized tires that really end up being the same size in the end.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,280 Posts
Is at @Chrisnvegas who advised of some manufacturing issues of late with BFG? Many models unbalanceeable and from factory out of round? Was it BFG?

There were also a few threads on it through a different site.

Hope they figured that out and perhaps it was limited to some models only.

There is a lot of praise for the KM2 and KM3.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Could be wrong, but IIRC Chris was just talking about the AT's?

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I will say that I hate, or should I say HATE noisy choppy assed tires. A lot of tires that are really good offroad can become these suckers easily. If you drive them on the road, rotate, rotate, rotate and pay close attention to your tire wear and if the treads are becoming choppy or feathered. Especially the front tires. Tiny little alignment issues cause bad tire wear, especially on these aggressive tires. Some brands tend to be more susceptible to it that others. Anyways, I have seen some BFGs in the shop that scare the hell out of me. I am not really decided yet if they are a good tire or not.

RANT On: Related but slightly off topic but not really.
Tape measure alignments can work and can be accurate. It is in the beholder of the tape and knowing what all the variables are or can be. I do tape and eyeball stuff all the time in the shop when doing steering and suspension work so when I get to the alignment machine I am close. It has to do with runout procedures and aligners for instance do not like caster sweeps or initial camber adjustments if you pull onto it with the toe in a mile off for instance. I know from doing this over and over how bad tape measure alignments can be and how damn close that they can be.

Aligners are more accurate for sure, but always trust your eyeballs if you understand alignment angles. It will clue you in on any method that you used that did not go right. Any method of aligning a vehicle can go terribly wrong, or at least enough to trash a pretty good chunk of coin that you spent on tires in short order.

Speaking from experience.

RANT OFF:

·
Registered
18,364 Posts
I've been running the Cooper STT Pro for 5+ years and absolutely love them. Tire preference probably depends a lot on your terrain use, I've seen a ton of KM2 failures in places where literally every other brand of tire that went over it were fine. I've run the original MTR Kevlar and even some Dunlop Mud terrains but hands down prefer the STT for the wheeling I do. I haven't tried any of the "sticky" tires because it's not a dedicated trail rig.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts