Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

JT Gladiator Specifications

6469 Views 22 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Yukiyu
Trim
The Gladiator is available in base Sport, mid-level Sport S, luxury Overland, and off-road ready Rubicon.
The all-new four-door, five-passenger midsize Gladiator features exterior and interior styling cues from the Wrangler JL.
Four different roof options are available, similar to those on the Wrangler JL, including a black vinyl Sun-Rider soft top and a premium black fabric Sun-Rider soft top (both of which can be fully retracted), a black Freedom-Top three-piece hard top, and a color-keyed Freedom-Top three-piece hard top, both of which have removable aluminum roof panels. The Gladiator is the only convertible pickup truck on the market.

Features
Unique features on the Gladiator include a flat rear load floor for carrying of longer and taller items inside the truck's interior, secure and lockable storage underneath the rear bench seat, and a removable Bluetooth wireless speaker that charges when the vehicle is running, and the speaker is in its docking station located behind the rear bench seat. The Gladiator also offers an optional 8.4-inch touchscreen on the Uconnect 4C NAV. The Gladiator has most safety features that are also in the Wrangler JL including forward-collision warning with active braking and adaptive cruise control.

Capacities
Payload for the Gladiator is 1,600 lb (730 kg).
The standard Gladiator will feature a towing capacity of 7,000 lb (3,200 kg), though a heavy-duty towing package will be available on select Gladiator models that increases the towing capacity to 7,650 lb (3,470 kg).

Powertrain
At launch, the only engine option for the Gladiator will be the 3.6L Pentastar V6 gasoline engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and an Electronic Stop-Start System (ESS), and like the Wrangler JL, will produce 280 horsepower. However, a 3.0L EcoDiesel Turbocharged V6 diesel engine will become available in 2020. Both engines will be mated to either a six-speed manual transmission, or the Wrangler JL's ZF 850RE eight-speed automatic transmission. All Gladiator models will be four-wheel drive.

Offroad
The Gladiator features an approach angle of 43.6 degrees, a breakover angle of 20.3 degrees and a departure angle of 26 degrees. Every one is equiped with heavy-duty Dana® 44 front and rear axles along with a proven 4x4 system offering both high and low ranges.
The Gladiator has front and rear doors that can be fully removed, as well as a windshield that can be lowered (like the Wrangler JL, Jeep includes a tool kit with the tools necessary to remove the doors and lower the windshield). The Gladiator is the only pickup with removable doors.
Gladiator Rubicon adds impressive off-road gear like lockable wide track axles, an electronic disconnecting front sway bar, FOX shocks, 33' all-terrain tires and a forward facing off-road TrailCam® that aids in obstacle navigation.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
6,773 Posts
As of right now it looks like only the part time transfer cases will be offered, the Rubicon having a 4.0 ratio and assuming the standard 2.72 ratio in the others. Standard differential ratio is 3.73 for the Sport, S, and Overland with 4.10 gears an option with the automatic transmission only, as expected the Rubicon comes standard with 4.10 gearing.

Interestingly enough it appears the Overland and Rubicon models are showing a lower payload capacity than the Sport and S, as well as a lower maximum tow capacity. The difference in curb weight between the different models doesn't match up with the disparity in payload. Both the Sport and S are 1600lb payload and up to 7650lb towing, while the Overland is listed as 1140 and 6000 respectively, and the Rubicon is 1190 and 7000 respectively.

· Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know how much heavier the 3.0 EcoDiesel is compared to the 3.6 Pentastar?

I've been researching, and was only able to find some relative estimates... like the 3.0 EcoDiesel is 50lbs heavier than the 5.7 Hemi, and the Hemi is 150-160lbs heavier that the Pentastar.

It would be good to get a real, verified number though...

· Registered
5 Posts
@DVC
According to Allpar, the 3.0 is 485lbs by itself or 507lbs fully dressed. The upgraded 3.6 is listed at 326lbs.
Great find - thanks! I read the articles, but I didn't see any indication as to whether the 326lb figure for the Pentastar was "by itself" or "fully dressed" as it was broken down on the EcoDiesel page.... any thoughts as to which the 326lb figure aligns to?

· Premium Member
6,773 Posts
Great find - thanks! I read the articles, but I didn't see any indication as to whether the 326lb figure for the Pentastar was "by itself" or "fully dressed" as it was broken down on the EcoDiesel page.... any thoughts as to which the 326lb figure aligns to?
Honestly, I'm not sure as I kept running into the same issues you alluded to where most sources would just say "weighs x-amount less than this other engine" without specifying anything further; searching for the weight of the comparison engine pretty well came up with no information either. Extrapolating the weights given for basic and dressed of the ecodiesel, we can assume the dressed weight adds about 22lbs, giving us a basic/dressed range of anywhere from 304-348lbs for the 3.6L -- gut feeling tells me the higher end is more likely for dressed, but I cannot say for certain.

· Registered
33 Posts
I ordered a JT this past weekend, not all the options are available right now in the ordering system. There are only 4 colors to choose from at present, White, Black, Silver Metallic, and Red. There is a schedule when each color will be released; some are quite late in the year.

You cannot order a base Sport either right now. Well you can, but you have to get the 24s package.

- Upgraded wheels
- Automatic headlamps
- Tinted windows
- Leather wrapped steering wheel
- Power heated mirrors
- Power windows
- Remote keyless entry
- Security alarm
- Speed sensitive locks

I haven't seen the Gladiator spec sheet, this is what is in a Wrangler 24s package so it will be very close. So you can't go bare bones.

The Max tow package I think is a good deal for $1k.

- Dana M210 Wide front axle
- In color fender flares
- Heavy duty engine cooling
- Daytime running lights
- Antilock 4 wheel HD brakes
- Dana M220 wide rear axle
- 245x75r17 Dueler tires
- Class IV Hitch
- 4.1 axle ratio
- 240 amp alternator

The reason I gather the Sport with Max Tow and Rubicon have higher tow ratings are the axles, which are wider, take more torque, and have thicker shafts. The Sport has better engine cooling, which is why I think it beats out the Rubi.

· Registered
3,517 Posts
I test drove one at my local dealer (Overland) I would probably get a Sport S with the max tow package and the 8 spd auto. Loved it! Thinking very seriously of buying one this summer. Have 3 Jeeps already!

· Registered
3 Posts
They won’t last... A replay of a “What If We” from the eighties. I had an 81’. It’s like a “Compass” or a “Liberty”. It may have a “JEEP” emblem on it. But it isn’t a JEEP. The old “Scramblers” were at least made to follow the CJ7 and or CJ5s.
This new “Gladiator” should wear a FiAT badge and be sold as just that..... A new convertible 4x4 truck, made and sold by FiAT. NOT JEEP.
Just my opinion....

· Registered
302 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
They won't last... A replay of a "What If We" from the eighties. I had an 81'. It's like a "Compass" or a "Liberty". It may have a "JEEP" emblem on it. But it isn't a JEEP. The old "Scramblers" were at least made to follow the CJ7 and or CJ5s.
This new "Gladiator" should wear a FiAT badge and be sold as just that..... A new convertible 4x4 truck, made and sold by FiAT. NOT JEEP.
Just my opinion....
Weird place for this opinion, but OK. I'm all for respecting everyone's opinions on the forums, but I can only assume you're just trolling when you suggest the Gladiator is more Fiat then Jeep. That makes no sense.

The Scrambler was terrible BECAUSE it "followed" the CJs, which had fatal flaws and almost killed off the Jeep brand entirely. The Gladiator is based off of the JL, which is a great all around vehicle.

The Compass and Liberty are/were filling very different market segments than the Wrangler and the Gladiator, and are absent a significant chunk of the quintessential Jeep DNA... So also not a good comparison.

· Registered
15 Posts
They won't last... A replay of a "What If We" from the eighties. I had an 81'. It's like a "Compass" or a "Liberty". It may have a "JEEP" emblem on it. But it isn't a JEEP. The old "Scramblers" were at least made to follow the CJ7 and or CJ5s.
This new "Gladiator" should wear a FiAT badge and be sold as just that..... A new convertible 4x4 truck, made and sold by FiAT. NOT JEEP.
Just my opinion....
We all have opinions my friend, and I must respectfully disagree with you. I agree that the Compass, Liberty, or even the Renegade are not "real" Jeeps to many purists, but to lump the JL and JT's in with those is not really fair. I wasn't really sold on the idea of the Gladiator name on a stretched JL, but understand why it can't be a full sized pickup, they already have that line covered with the RAM lineup. After looking at it harder and harder, the more sense it made the way they're doing it. A heavy duty mid-sized pickup was sorely needed in the marketplace. So much so, that Ford revived the Ranger, pinning it's hopes and dreams to something that looks a little radical for the American marketplace. (looks a lot like a Volkswagen pickup sold in Mexico, seen a few around here with Mexican plates)

I think this new model will be a real winner, if Jeep commits to it. I think it's a Tacoma beater, and will just leave Ford and Chevrolet in the dust, IF, and only IF, Jeep promotes it and gets the word out there. I think this is the new hotness in the mid-sized truck market.

Coming from a guy who owns a '67 CJ5, and has owned a J4000, Comanche, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, TJ, and now a Gladiator, this is a real Jeep. It feels like a Jeep, drives like a refined Jeep, and looks like it will work like a real Jeep.

· Registered
3,517 Posts
To those who claim the new Wranglers are FIATS....really...have you ever even looked at one...well let’s see...show me the FIAT parts....unlike a Compass or Patriot...I bet you will have a hard time finding any....
Was the new in 2007 JK a Daimler Benz because Daimler owned Chrysler then? Well it did have Daimler transmissions but most parts were Jeep/Chrysler. No one says now the JKs were not real Jeeps in fact it was the success of the 4door Unlimited that greatly increased sales far beyond what they ever were in the old days. And furthermore anyone who thinks that the quality is worse now than in the AMC days has a short memory. The only things that were better then were the simple designs that were easier to repair.

· Registered
3,744 Posts
The payload on the Gladiator is what kills its ability to be a truck. It limits your hauling, towing, passenger carrying, options for future mods, everything. For this reason, I feel like the Max Towing package is the only way to go. Without that package, I would not have gotten a Gladiator.

Attachments

Reactions: wookiee

· Registered
5 Posts
The payload on the Gladiator is what kills its ability to be a truck. It limits your hauling, towing, passenger carrying, options for future mods, everything. For this reason, I feel like the Max Towing package is the only way to go. Without that package, I would not have gotten a Gladiator.
A Rubicon with 8AT has up to 1250# of payload. That's more than a lot of full size 1/2 ton trucks.... Including my Ram 1500 with a Hemi V8. Sure, my towing capacity is much higher than a Gladiator (likely due entirely to engine power and cooling constraints), but with a lower payload, my tow capacity is limited by tongue weight taking up all my payload.

· Registered
15 Posts
The chart you posted and it's information factored heavily in my buying decision. While I love the looks of the Rubicon, I had to make a decision about which would be more practical for me. I will be towing things much, much more than I'll be needing sway bar disconnects, front trail cams, or super low range. The max towing package just made the most utilitarian sense to me.

· Registered
3,744 Posts
A Rubicon with 8AT has up to 1250# of payload. That's more than a lot of full size 1/2 ton trucks.... Including my Ram 1500 with a Hemi V8. Sure, my towing capacity is much higher than a Gladiator (likely due entirely to engine power and cooling constraints), but with a lower payload, my tow capacity is limited by tongue weight taking up all my payload.
I don't know what model year your Ram is, but every Ram I saw on the lot when I was shopping was listed at 1,600 to 2,000 lbs. payload. The F-150s are even beyond that.

1,250 lbs. isn't much unless you always drive alone. Guys like me with a family find that it isn't enough. My family of 5 weighs about 825 lbs. As soon as we all get into the truck, most of the payload of a Rubicon or Overland would be gone. We'd be left with only a couple hundred pounds of capacity. The Overland I test drove was listed at 1,053 lbs. of payload. Most Rubicons are below 1,200 lbs. of payload because they usually are equipped with additional options.

If you put a family and/or gear into the truck and you've only got 200-400 lbs. of capacity remaining, that limits you to 2,000 to 4,000 lbs. of max towing with 95% of trailers, campers, and boats on the market. It's just not enough to be useful.

The chart you posted and it's information factored heavily in my buying decision. While I love the looks of the Rubicon, I had to make a decision about which would be more practical for me. I will be towing things much, much more than I'll be needing sway bar disconnects, front trail cams, or super low range. The max towing package just made the most utilitarian sense to me.
That was my thought process exactly. I configured a Sport S with Max Towing and the options I wanted. I then configured a Rubicon with the same options. The Rubicon was $7,700 more money, and the only things it would have given me that the Sport S didn't have were the lockers, sway bar disconnect, and 4:1 t-case ratio. But, I would have lost 35% of the payload capacity. So just like you, I decided the Sport was the way to go. I can always add lockers later for WAY less than $7,700.

Reactions: wookiee

· Registered
121 Posts
Please keep in mind these are a MID-size pickup. They aren't your F150 or Silverado.......... but oddly enough, the Gladiator MAY be (still comparing) close to my Silverado in payload and towing - towing for sure unless I'm wrong on the specs of my truck.
The reviews all compare to Colorado and other similar trucks - because this ain't a RAM or other half ton or 3/4 ton truck. It's a mid-size.
So to compare towing to a real full-sized pickup may be unfair - I say that as I try to determine - can this pull my car hauler? Could it replace my 2011 Silverado????
My biggest issue other than trying to see if it will handle the hills in Iowa (I80 east in particular) is the short box. I do woodworking as a hobby at times and do almost all of my own home repair, etc. so sheets of plywood, OSB underlayment, 8 to 10' oak boards, 10' trim, etc. - yeah, I haul that now and then. But then I could get an extender to put in the receiver, too........

Anyway, I see so many comparisons to F150, Ram trucks, and even others - is that fair - to compare a mid-size truck that isn't aimed at the 15 and 20 Chevrolets or the Ford 150 and 250 market?

Or am I misreading a number of posts? Could be - I get in a hurry.

Oh, my other issue that may hold me back - color choices. UGH - no white, black, red, silver or drab colors. My current truck is the laser blue metallic special package - my wife says I could get a Gladiator as long as it was the wild lime green we saw on another Jeep at the dealer lot. The color choices, sorry, boring. LOL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.