Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
321 - 327 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Thank you @bob4703 and @Jim1611!

New thermostat was installed yesterday and I put in a 180 degree stat. We are running MUCH better but I honestly think a 195 would be better. The Jeep runs at the start of the green line on the coolant gauge, which is fine. But when I turn off the engine and let it sit for about 2 minutes, the coolant gauge creeps to a bit under half. Napa was out of stock of the 195s and I didn't want to wait.

I'm going to leave it for now and see what it does. Summer time can creep into the upper 90s but I have a feeling it wont get any hotter than what I saw yesterday.

I found out that Bilstein is having a mega Jeep event on May 21st at the Ohio plant where I used to work. My goal is have it show worthy by then and show it. I bought this Jeep when I worked for Bilstein and everyone loved to see that I was restoring it. I'm excited for the summer!

More to follow in the next few days

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
I accomplished a few things over the weekend that are hopefully going to move me in the positive direction... hopefully.

First off, I had a slight oil leak at the rear of the valve cover. I addressed that and while I was there, I retorqued the cylinder head and everything checked good. So far, no leaks... yet.
I tuned up the carb with the new thermostat in it and I can tell the engine runs way better than before. Better response, better cold start performance, and sounds better.

I also took another 10 SI alternator and stuck it on the Jeep. No known issues after about 20 miles... I think the new NAPA alts. are problematic. I hate to say that about them because I usually get better parts from them. Anyways, I have a rebuilt one that was on the shelf at my grandpas that went on and it has shown no problems charging or making a screaming noise.

@Jim1611's shackles were put on and I am impressed with the quality. Although I have not have the frame mounts on yet, they have proven to help the stability of the Jeep. I still get a little bit of side to side sway on the leaf springs but it seems more "normal" than the last shackles I had. I really like them and the gold color of the zinc plate. I just need to get the frame mounts back from powder coat and we will be good to go!

As I was waiting for the shackles, I spent a few days polishing these aluminum wheels up... Man, they were a pain. I used NAPAs aluminum bright to clean up all the tarnish and poor upkeep being on a roller chassis. After that, I took 1000, 2000, and 3000 grit paper to the wheel to clean up the pitting that was visible. Mothers aluminum and mag wheel cleaner was applied and I buffed it by hand and then used a drill and the mothers red ball. It took a few days but the look is 100 times better. Before they were dull and dingy, now they shine!

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Deer Slayer, I ran across your thread today and ended up reading all of it - TODAY! You've been on quite a journey and it's impressive how much of the work you've done yourself. The CJ is looking beautiful and it's really something to be proud of.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Deer Slayer, I ran across your thread today and ended up reading all of it - TODAY! You've been on quite a journey and it's impressive how much of the work you've done yourself. The CJ is looking beautiful and it's really something to be proud of.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm really glad that the people who follow this thread have enjoyed reading and seeing this progress. It's been and still is a heck of a journey. I'm still tinkering away as I'm waiting for some more parts to arrive. The garage gets cleaner and cleaner each week! If the weather works out on Friday, it may be driven to work on its first longer trip! (about 25 miles one way)

321 - 327 of 327 Posts