Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
221 - 240 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Painting update #2

Interior and the windshield frame are complete. I have a few imperfections I was unaware of until it was to late. I had a small spot on the windshield I meant to fill with some spot filler but I am going to say it's a factory imperfection. At least that what I tell myself lol. I'm 100% fine with it, I saw it as the clear coat was being added.

Next is to cut in the fenders and spray the grill. The rest of the week seems rainy so I plan on trying to hook up the wiring harness so I can set the tub on the frame. I wish I had more stands/ ways to hold parts. I'd have more done if I did.

Enjoy some more pictures that Hoss can't see due to dog beers tonight :cheers2:

Wood Gas Composite material Machine Motor vehicle
Table Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Looking good Josh!

Factory paint was performed quick and economically, for all makes, but possibly more so for the AMC line. I’m pretty sure your paint job will be far superior to what they did at the factory. Your attention to detail is probably the biggest factor, compared to a factory worker, tasked with getting the job done quickly, over and over, all day long.

As far as the pictures not showing up for Joon, I couldn’t see them the first time I opened the page either, so there was something funky going on at the time, but it’s all good now.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
This weekend My dad and I got the tub on the frame, front clip installed for fitting and started to do the doors until I ran out of time to play my Sunday softball games. I have questions about windshield hinges and body lines. I may end up making a new thread if this doesn't see much attention.

1. What is the proper procedure to installing the windshield hinges? What have yall done?
I have a gap on the tub side above the cowl between the hinge and metal (see picture 1). I'm not sure if the hinge is bent, or if the tubs metal behind the hinge is a little warped. there is a little shadow on that makes the gap look bigger than it really is.

2. Is there a measurement standard for the gaps around the hood and tailgate? I understand fitting body lines are something that isnt precise on a Jeep but I'm looking for a number since I am trying to make everything right before my paint goes on.

Wood Tints and shades Automotive exterior Vehicle door Hardwood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille Hood

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Over the weekend I finally got paint on the whole Jeep. Overall it went very well! I'll admit, there are about three sags but very easily sand and buff out.

If anyone is interested, I was spraying in about 65-70 degree weather. I give that range because I was inside the garage with the door half open. I started off the morning scrubbing the floor with Dawn dish soap and taping around the interior. I taped under the jeep and had plastic taped to the floor so that it would stay in place. After that was all done, the garage floor and the drive way was hosed down to keep any dust down.

The whole process from clean up to clean up took the whole day. I was actively painting for roughly 3 hours start to finish. As everyone has said on here, prep is where it all matters and also following the guides that comes with the paint.

I am more than pleased with the results, but I also paid for it (paint and clear) and paid attention to the finest details. I'm really glad I did this paint myself. I wish I did it sooner but some of those around me (outside this place) tried to tell me otherwise.

Here are some pictures! Keep in mind, it looks 1,000 times better in real life and I couldn't roll it out all the way in the sun.

Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Tire

Vehicle Flooring Gas Motor vehicle Machine

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

Daytime Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Looks good, congrats! Thanks for sharing your method of painting the different pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Here is a picture of the door moments after spraying the final coat of clear. Note: it looks like orange peel because it was not fully flowed out. The other picture is a close up of the effect the metallics produce. I'm sure more pictures will follow! sorry in advance lol

Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Thank you all for the comments! definitely feels nice to see your comments because I've kept you all waiting for awhile on this part of the build. Thank you for still being around this long!

Grill was set in place last night so I could more comfortably work around the fenders... and to make it look more like a Jeep. I also put some trinkets on so I could clear up some space before I lost the little parts. It's kind of funny now that I have 75% more space in the garage...

I think tonight we are going to wet sand the hood and tops of the fenders for the itty bity imperfections in the clear and may run the buffer over it. If we don't get to buffing, it can wait until we have good lighting. Front bumper is going to be blasted and powder coated by the weekend (hopefully) so it wont look ugly any more. In between all of this, I guess I'm going to work on electrical. I dont really know where to start now so I'm just diving in on things that I see first in my parts storage.

I think from this point on I'll update combine updates weekly or every other day? I'm unsure what kind of documentations y'all like to see. I don't want to bore everyone with the same stuff everyone has done but I'm going to show the progress for sure.

Let me know what you guys like to see and read moving forward!!

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes everyone has the same parts/pieces putting their Jeep back together, but it is not the same on each one, so please post all the details while doing this on yours. Every part has its own challenge, as it matches to the others supporting it, and something you might run into on yours, will be just what someone else needs help to understand on their Jeep.
Please post as much progress you can no matter how small, as it keeps the thread search fresh, with using updated products and dealing with fitment issues of the same.
Nice build :)

Reactions: Deer-Slayer_5
221 - 240 of 346 Posts