Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,136 Posts
JMHO... are you leaving the top sanded/ smooth?

Not a fan, I actually think it detracts from the overall look when they are smooth.

It does look better w/ a flat paint vs gloss, but I feel they should have texture as well.

:wave:

Hoss

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,136 Posts
A little update on whats going on with my Jeep!

Yesterday the bolt kit came in from Totally Stainless.... The bolts that are supposed to be Torx bolts are allen head style but I am going to fix that by just getting some from the the hardware store. I want it to look as original as possible...
In that case, make sure you get the ones that have the heads pre-stripped, and a use plenty of red loctite when you install them (to really emulate that factory look and feel) ;)

Hoss

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,136 Posts
...I have plans to paint the Jeep myself. I keep getting the "I don't really want to paint it because it's a rusty Jeep price" Honestly, they don't know what I have and I can't justify $10,000 for paint. Three people quoted me at least 10k ...
I just got my '55 two-door post out of paint after 3 years (looooong story), and about $15K.

I couldn't find a single paint/ body guy to quote it under $20K. Thats where they ALL said they START at (and go up from there...)

The materials were about $3K total, and it amazes me when I see people post that they got there car/jeep painted for <$5K and complain!

Don't get me wrong, it still seems ridiculous to pay a half a years salary (for a lot of people) for a paint job, but that's what they charge for them. It's crazy.

Hoss

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,136 Posts
Yes! It's that time of year again... I had a bunch of good size bucks but in the last 2-3 weeks...and it's strange they just don't show up anymore...
THEY know its that time of year again too!

My folks had a heard of elk that roamed through their (mountain) neighborhood every year. You could feed them apples out of your hand, until hunting season started. As soon as the muzzle-loaders and bows came out, off they went.

EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Hoss

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,136 Posts
Very nice! I recall seeing a thread where someone did this with easy off oven cleaner as well.

I had a set I did with just the 00 steel wool and chrome polish, they came out great! (The clear coat had already been removed)

Good luck with your paint/painter

Hoss

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,136 Posts
Wheel wells came in body color stock.

I like them like that on an all stock jeep, especially with smaller stock tires.

I have NEVER owned a jeep with small stock tires, and I almost always have done some sort of undercoating or liner on them, especially if you run black fender flares.

The bonus of this for me is that a quick squirt of tire shine , or vegetable oil out of a Pampered Chef pump spray bottle, (not that I have ever done that) makes them look like new, and the dirt and mud will rinse right off when washed.

Congrats on the engagement. If I may offer some sage advice; never take your future wife's Pampered Chef pump spray bottle to apply 'protectant' to your jeep fenderwells, especially if she's inside fixing supper...

Hoss

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,136 Posts
Sure sounds like a grounding issue, especially with them not mounted. Its been a few years, but I thought for sure they grounded through the housing/mounting screw?

Hoss

1 - 20 of 28 Posts