Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
You asked for advice so here's some. After seeing the market drying up on decent parts for our CJs it's of the utmost importance that you save everything in as good a condition as you can keep it. That part that you might think is not worth saving may be selling on ebay for allot of money. An example of this is a factory dash pad. I see them on ebay way overpriced and in not very good shape. So with that being said take care of every part you have. Enjoy the work too!

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Jim, you have till Friday to find me! Saturday it is going to an undisclosed location until it is needed again lol There are some nicer looking OEM hardtops in my area on facebook market place... I'd gladly refurbish and sell you one?? :grin2:
Be careful of that! I know where allot of members live due to the fact I've sold allot of shackle hangers to them. :grin2:
You might be on to something with selling rebuilt hardtops though. You've done as nice a job as I've seen.

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Have you checked under the roll bar mounts for rust? I'm not sure what I'd do on the paint. If the place that does the stripping also could dip it to protect the bare metal you'd be way ahead over sandblasting, I think. Sandblasting is allot of work if you do it yourself. I'd tend to want to find a place to do that job for me. Nice tub! What color is the final product going to be?

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Most body shops would rather do insurance work than what you want done. My friend who owned his own place told me he never made any money on our type work. He was good enough to get me pointed in the right direction to paint my own though. The nice thing about a paint job is that if you make a mistake it's not too hard to fix.

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Your tub is coming along great. It's interesting to see what everyone does to try to preserve these during the process of restoring. I think that along with what you're doing just taking good care of it after it's done and keep it parked inside will make it last even longer.

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
On the farm where I have hunted for years there has been a trail camera set up for a long time at a creek crossing. The guys nephew owns that camera and I hunt within 100 yards of it. I have killed some nice bucks that he never got a picture of. I have never seen a really big buck cross there either, mainly does and smaller bucks. They seem to avoid it as it's an excellent ambush spot for any predator. Do they know? Nature is amazing.

On a side note about poaching. Not far from here was a game farm you could pay to hunt on, I never have, and the owner bought the exotics for that purpose. It was all fenced, allot of acres. He was having poacher problems at night. The guys doing the poaching were using a spotlight. To make a long story short he shot the spotlight out. The poaching stopped.

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
I didn't skim the tub on my CJ but just took care of the places that really needed attention and have been happy with it but then with an OD green paint job not much shows anyway. Some areas are hard to get filler to stay in anyway, like the hood and a CJ hood has a few waves in it. I think what I think really doesn't matter though and I bet what you end up doing will be fine.

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Alright everyone, this afternoon I was able to get the textured paint on the hard top and paint it black! I must say, at first I didn't think the texture was going to make it look original. I was wrong! I am very pleased with the result!! If I had not painted it myself, I could be fooled into thinking it was a top that never saw daylight. So here is what I did!

1) I cleaned the top off of any dust with a dry towel and then ran a tack rag over it. Mixed my textured paint up for spraying. The specific paint I used in my previous post did not have to be reduced but it can be if needed. I didn't use any reducer.

2) Test spray! It took me about 10 minutes to get the spray I wanted. I was just using the purple gun from Harbor Freight. I think we ended up using a pressure under 5 psi. Yeah, lower pressure gave me bigger drops like what was currently on my hard top. If someone does this method, play around with it before you spray it. Also, always have a rag handy to clean the spray tip. The paint seemed to build up a little after a few minutes.

3) Spraying the top. It does not have to be fully coated black, you will want to put a top coat over the textured paint. I found it best to be about 6-8 inches away with my given pressure. Again, this is something I had to play with. When spraying, I found it helpful to spray kinda random, shaking the gun and sometimes found myself going in circles but this is something that you can do if you wish. With this texture paint, I got a cotton candy like strands that came out the spray gun. This is normal. This is the gun air pressure game. Too much air pressure will make it stringy.

4) It says the flash time is 5-10 minutes. I let it sit about 30 just so it was dry. I have some "Hot Rod" black paint made by SEM. It was a kit I bought at Napa. It has all you need and 1 quart did the whole top. I mixed that up and it was applied like regular automotive paint. (following their directions other than not using their primer) Before you spray the top coat, be sure to take a dry towel and wipe off the top, following with a tack rag. Those strands I mentioned in step 3 are basically dust. It is also good habit to tack rag before you paint, especially outdoors like what I did.

Some discoveries I found while spraying:
The top coat that I sprayed seemed to soak into the top. My top is believed to be from the early to mid 70's. It's plastic and not fiberglass. Mine also has no seams like the 80's tops have. Does anyone know the history of the hard top materials?
This is a good resource. I'm working on mine now. Hadn't been so far to your house I'd have rather just stole yours though! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
If is wasn't cold in Ohio, I would offer to help you out! I still have some left over supplies along with some paint too! That SEM texture coating is also available in spray cans if you choose to use that brand. You may be incline to use that unless you are doing the whole top. I don't know how much a spray can will cover.

As for the location for stealing my top... I'll give you a hint... It's about 110 yards away from the last deer I shot! :laugh:
:grin2: I'm not in the stealing mood anyway!
I saw the spray cans but I think I'll get a quart. Most likely be better control that way too. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Really lacking on posting on here lately.. Sorry everyone who follow this thread looking for updates. I just have not been working on the Jeep since it's gotten cold/ colder. I've been gathering parts and making my own though!

I picked up a new set of doors... Since I screwed up a nice door while cleaning up the garage, I got really discouraged and almost scrapped the idea of having a set of hard doors. BUT I found what I thought would be impossible to find.... NOS Pre 1982 doors. One was still in the box! I jumped on it and drove 3 hours to get them. I know for my 85 they are not the right style but I like twist handles better. A little prep work will be needed to clean up some of the factory coating but that's easy.

I also have been 3D printing a clutch dust boot. I upgraded the clutch rod and the original boot wont fit correctly. My slow days at work I made up one to fit my larger clutch rod. It looks pretty good!

I'm contacting some more painters to see if they can paint the Jeep for me cheaper than what I was originally quoted. I just really don't want to screw up the paint. I've worked too hard to mess that up.
You're going to need a set of strikers for those doors. You have any? If not pm me your address and you will have some.

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
I've actually got two sets of OEM strikers! Got a pair with the Jeep and found a set in a junk yard for free. Now I may hit you up on the shackle mounts soon... I think I want to upgrade before the first drive :grin2:
When you decide on the shackle mounts send me a message.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts