Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Josh's 1985 CJ7 Restoration

44477 345
Hey guys! I am sure you have seen me around here on a few threads but I normally just do a lot of reading on here. I love seeing all of the stuff people are doing with their Jeeps. If I can't figure it out by myself, from the FSM or my Grandfather, I come here. With that said, since I am doing a complete restoration, I figured I can document what I have done now and continue to document. I would like to look back on it some day and I would really like to contribute some help to us CJ folks.

I bought this CJ7 in 2018 that I found on Facebook market place. It was local and the best looking one on Facebook. $2,600 and it was mine! It had issues but I knew it from the start and was willing to fix it. Hard top and pre 1981 hard doors were included along with a box of parts and little trim stuff. It also didn't run when I bought it but I knew what it needed.

About the Jeep:
258 with a T5 transmission and a dana 300, AMC 20 rear axle and a Dana 30 in the front. Pretty much a base Jeep but I am not sure if it had a package on it due to it being repainted a few times. LOTS of rust! Had the nutter bypass done and the cooling system was re-routed... not sure why someone would do that but I guess it got them by. Here are some pictures before the carnage started!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Gotta ask, as it has been a thought for some time.....
Metal tub, with all the options to paints, spray on liner, coating options to the moon and back....we powder coat rims, shift levers, bumpers.....how about powder coating the metal tub? Or is this just not possible or not feasible for long term protection?
Inquiring mind wants to know!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yes everyone has the same parts/pieces putting their Jeep back together, but it is not the same on each one, so please post all the details while doing this on yours. Every part has its own challenge, as it matches to the others supporting it, and something you might run into on yours, will be just what someone else needs help to understand on their Jeep.
Please post as much progress you can no matter how small, as it keeps the thread search fresh, with using updated products and dealing with fitment issues of the same.
Nice build :)

Reactions: Deer-Slayer_5

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
A couple other pics from my '81 CJ5, which looks like the middle one too, with the top end routing outboard side of Intake Manifold on the 258.
Attaches to rubber fuel hose at the bottom off the block between engine and frame. You can see it on the second pic.
Hope these help.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Vehicle Gas

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Adding a new item to the list tonight... head gasket.

While trouble shooting the reverse light issue I had after my test drive, I noticed a liquid on the starter. My first thought was oil which turned out to be coolant. How did I know? I had to revert to the taste test. Surprisingly enough I learned two things, 1. I don't have Covid, 2. the sweet taste gave me a idea it was coolant.

I check around the head and at the back of the engine, passenger side, I feel water. I also noticed that the radiator system builds pressure fairly quickly which is odd being as cold as it is in Ohio. On that note, the radiator also "pukes" out coolant when the thermostat opens without a cap.

All torques were double checked and there seemed to be no loose head bolts. So, maybe the compression in cylinder 6 is blowing into the cooling system past the head gasket? I need to do some additional tests before I tear it down.

View attachment 4133062
Just to ask the question - Are you sure fluid is not coming from above the area in the pic, and pooling along the gasket, on its way down?
Perhaps a heater hose above with a loose clamp weeping an occasional drip?
Perhaps dripping more forward, and air around the engine when running, blowing it back to this point then leaking down?
These engines do slope back lower at firewall, so thinking its possible the coolant can come from almost anywhere forward of the pooling point, and not be noticed if very slight leak.
Just thinkin'

Reactions: JoonHoss

·
Registered
1,671 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hey everyone, Its been a minute since my last update. I left off with the head being put back and I'm happy to say I have no leaks as of yesterday. I actually drove it around for about 45 minutes and all seems good except for the alternator. For what ever reason the bearing(s) went out. A very loud chirp when spinning by hand and a very loud scream when hooked up. Still produces voltage but it was running extremely hot. So I need to warranty that.

Yesterdays run was the first time I've messed with it in two to three weeks.. My truck decided to give me some problems right as two winter storms were coming in and I'm still working on my Ranger but I ended up getting a 2022 F150! I love it so far and it's a big adjustment from driving a single cab Ranger. With that thrown in the mix, I've also been traveling for work and working longer than usual days. I just got back from the The Navy Yard in Philadelphia, PA, helping install my companies products for the Navy. Jeep progress has been slow and will most likely slow down now that I have a new payment every month. It's all apart of adulting lol

Springs coming and I cant wait!

View attachment 4136669
View attachment 4136670
I would chose the light blue one and the dog :)

Reactions: Deer-Slayer_5

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
A mess?

Your just keeping the underside lubed so it doesn't rust.

We could all be so fortunate to have this value added lube feature, to help prolong the age of our rigs :)

Its not a serious leak, but it's enough to blow underneath the jeep and create a mess.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Don't do plugs or anything else, until you get the weak spark issue fixed.

One issue at a time :)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Coil will only need the 12+ volts off the "I" terminal of the solenoid during "start", then should back down to around 9V for run?

Having a similar issue on my GW, and what I found......if correct!

Reactions: John Strenk
1 - 9 of 9 Posts