Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nagging issue that I wanted to put out there before i dig too deep. My '08 JK with a 3.8 6-sp is slow to return to idle while shifting and/or coming to a stop. The idle will hang at about 2000 rpm for a second or two then slowly return to idle. I can't reproduce it by just revving the motor up and i only see it when shifting, slowing down or coming to a stop after driving. Once it returns to idle it stays that way unless I resume driving.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Mine is the same way. It doesn't effect the shifting or shifting smoothly though. It's probably in the computer tuning to keep revs up for shifting. I remember rebuilding the carb on my old Toyota pickup back in the day and it had an adjustment to keep the revs up between shifts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NCB i have figured it is the computer keeping the revs up but i drives me crazy. Anybody know if there is a fix or if any of the programmers override this?

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
There's the Sprint Booster and other programmers that can change throttle sensitivity, but I'm not sure if it removes the hang it has while RPM decreases. Hopefully someone with a programmer will chime in.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
When they gave me the custom tune for my RIPP, it removed the slow idle return...expensive way to solve it lol

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
:cool: Ronjenz can probably point out the source check and I would think that the Throttle Position Indicator (TPI) is either oiled/dusted/defect !

Good luck

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
I have a nagging issue that I wanted to put out there before i dig too deep. My '08 JK with a 3.8 6-sp is slow to return to idle while shifting and/or coming to a stop. The idle will hang at about 2000 rpm for a second or two then slowly return to idle. I can't reproduce it by just revving the motor up and i only see it when shifting, slowing down or coming to a stop after driving. Once it returns to idle it stays that way unless I resume driving.
Any ideas?
Have someone video the tach and speedometer while you're running through the gears so we can see exactly what it's doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts