Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jerking between 1st and 2nd gear

294 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  JD_WK
I have a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X that was purchased with 2100 miles on it. Ever since I got it, I’ve noticed it jerking or shuddering when it is shifting between first and second gear (around 16-17 mph is usually when it first starts)

This doesn’t happen every time I accelerate but it does happen every day. I’ve taken the Jeep to two different Jeep mechanics in my area and they tried telling me the car was trying to “adapt” to how I drive so they reset it, they did a software update and reset it, they checked the transmission fluid level and said it was overfilled so they took some of the fluid out.

From what I could find online, people with similar issues either had a bad spark plug, a bad fuel filter or faulty sensors. Does anyone have any experience with something like this and what did you do to fix it? I don’t think the mechanics are taking me seriously but I’m worried something will happen to the transmission over time and it will be more of a headache then.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
the "adapt" thing is something that happens, a good example is that if I drive like a granny in a couple of days / miles the jeep (I have 07 WK) will behave differently as if I drive with a stone foot, depending on various factors when the jerking occurs could be one or other thing, also I have noted this behavior on some occasions depending on how I'm accelerating.

If you try to replicate the jerking for example happens in a particular part of a road or trajectory that you use (angle of the road, type of acceleration, amount of load in the jeep, cold or hot day, etc) I'm not an expert but this kind of info can help pinpoint what is happening.

Spark plug depending on the miles / km you can change all of them, also check the air filter regularly etc, basically follow the maintenance schedule for the jeep.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the "adapt" thing is something that happens, a good example is that if I drive like a granny in a couple of days / miles the jeep (I have 07 WK) will behave differently as if I drive with a stone foot, depending on various factors when the jerking occurs could be one or other thing, also I have noted this behavior on some occasions depending on how I'm accelerating.

If you try to replicate the jerking for example happens in a particular part of a road or trajectory that you use (angle of the road, type of acceleration, amount of load in the jeep, cold or hot day, etc) I'm not an expert but this kind of info can help pinpoint what is happening.

Spark plug depending on the miles / km you can change all of them, also check the air filter regularly etc, basically follow the maintenance schedule for the jeep.

I’ve tried accelerating slowly and flooring it to see if it’s just a pressure thing on my part but it never consistently does it. I also haven’t noticed the weather or terrain really making a difference. It has done it all year long on flat, level roads and going up and downhill. I did ask the mechanics to check the spark plugs and all the filters the last time the oil was changed since I have no idea how to check them myself and they told me they did and nothing was wrong.
It doesn’t really bother me other than my fear that something major will go wrong a year or two down the line that could’ve been caught earlier.

· Registered
5 Posts
I would like to hear the opinion of others WK2 owners maybe is a normal thing that the jeep does if you have any friend with a Laredo X you can try it to see if it feels any different, also it is something that you just feel like in the sound of the engine or the acceleration feeling like when you are watching the tachometer? or is it like a real jerking and you shake all over the cabin, have you performed maintenance on your axels and differentials? also how many miles does the jeep has now?

will be interesting to know what kind of transmission your jeep has, it should be an 8 Speed 850RE with a QuadraTrac I 4WD System.

this video is also interesting regarding the ZF 8HP Transmission, is a PITA just to check the level...

• Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2)(2014 MY-2022 MY)
    • 3.6L Pentastar V6 (845RE 2014-2016, 850RE 2017-2022)
    • 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 (8HP70 2014-2016, 8HP75 2017-2021)
    • 5.7L, 6.4L HEMI V8 (8HP70)
    • 6.2L HEMI Supercharged V8 (8HP95)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts