Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am currently 15 Years old, and I'm looking for a good first car. I really like the Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds vs the Regular 2 doors ones. I would probably be in the price range of about 20-25K. I think I will end up with about a 08 or 09. How much is insurance going to be when I'm 16? I have A's and B's so I qualify for the student discount. Is that a good first car? How's the safety?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Are your parents paying for it? I would guess so. My parents paid for mine too but I had a budget nowhere near 20 grand.

Why not save them some money and look at a TJ? You can easily find those below 10k. Although the ones in best shape are generally $10,000-$15,000.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Well keep in mind you're buying into the JEEP culture, not some cookie cutter car. You're about to embark on your journey into the ultimate in customization. No pavement pounder can come close to what can be done to a Jeep.

I suggest you look for a first generation Wrangler, 1987-1995 YJ models. They're easy to find, inexpensive, and they're the easiest to work on. They have a HUGE following too, a lot of guys around here know them inside and out. Going to be expensive to insure for a youngin, I know i'm somewhere in the $200 range each month.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Jeeps are safe.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=633

The Unlimited will be much more practical than the 2 door with more room. Insurance for a 16 year old is going to be high no matter what. Won't start going down until you're in your 20s. I agree with BamaJeepman. Nothing wrong with TJs if you haven't considered them already. The extra cash you save you can put towards other things such as mods if you're into that kind of thing.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Also you HAVE to keep in mind a Jeep is not a regular car. If you're looking for something that you can shift into D and forget about it...move on.

ALWAYS pay attention to the gauges. Hell, hook up more gauges so you can tell trans temp, mpg...etc. You MUST do regular maintainance. Check fluids, every once in awhile check tire psi...etc.

Point is, a Jeep is not a regular car. They require someone that is willing to listen to, diagnose, fix, and maintain it. Make sure you know what you're getting into.

On another note...insurance is expensive as hell for teenagers. It's at $2,000 a year for me, although I'm sure you could get a better deal if you shopped around.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Every time you call a Wrangler a "car", God kills a kitten. ;)

Jeep Wranglers generally don't rank up at the top as far as safety goes, particularly in side impact tests. The body design just doesn't lend itself to Volvo-like safety, as the doors do not incorporate a significant protective crush-zone.

For insurance costs, you'll have to call up insurance companies for quotes. It can vary quite a bit from person to person depending on driver history, vehicle type, driver risk, where you live, how often the vehicle is driven, and other stuff. Generally, the newer the vehicle, the more expensive it will be to insure.

The older YJ generation is aging, and while they are easier to work on, they may take a bit more work to make them reliable. There are cream puffs out there to be found though, but can be hard to come by. A fixer upper isn't a problem for the experienced mechanic or the mechanically inclined. YJ's do not have air bags, something to consider when it comes to safety.

Plan on getting the modification bug, so be sure to budget for that. A TJ would probably work out well for you. A little older, but not as aged as the YJ's; a bit more refined interior; plenty of aftermarket support/upgrades; air bags. If you blow all your funds on just getting the vehicle, you may find yourself with the "mod itch" and no way to scratch it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are your parents paying for it? I would guess so. My parents paid for mine too but I had a budget nowhere near 20 grand.

Why not save them some money and look at a TJ? You can easily find those below 10k. Although the ones in best shape are generally $10,000-$15,000.
Yes they are paying for it. I want a 07+ the TJ is out of the question, I want a nice stereo and not have to worry about fixing the it every other day

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every time you call a Wrangler a "car", God kills a kitten. ;)

Jeep Wranglers generally don't rank up at the top as far as safety goes, particularly in side impact tests. The body design just doesn't lend itself to Volvo-like safety, as the doors do not incorporate a significant protective crush-zone.

For insurance costs, you'll have to call up insurance companies for quotes. It can vary quite a bit from person to person depending on driver history, vehicle type, driver risk, where you live, how often the vehicle is driven, and other stuff. Generally, the newer the vehicle, the more expensive it will be to insure.

The older YJ generation is aging, and while they are easier to work on, they may take a bit more work to make them reliable. There are cream puffs out there to be found though, but can be hard to come by. A fixer upper isn't a problem for the experienced mechanic or the mechanically inclined. YJ's do not have air bags, something to consider when it comes to safety.

Plan on getting the modification bug, so be sure to budget for that. A TJ would probably work out well for you. A little older, but not as aged as the YJ's; a bit more refined interior; plenty of aftermarket support/upgrades; air bags. If you blow all your funds on just getting the vehicle, you may find yourself with the "mod itch" and no way to scratch it.
I don't wan't a old one. I want 07+ Already modded. I found a already modded one with 30K miles for 23K. I don't wan't to have to maintain a OLD jeep, but I can handle a newer one

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Think about what you want to do with the jeep. Then you can ask the right questions to get useful answers because the questions you have asked are not indicative to a wrangler and the wrangler lifestyle such as safety; the top and doors are not meant to keep occupants inside the "car" they are for protection from the elements only and sometimes they are not good at that.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I don't wan't a old one. I want 07+ Already modded. I found a already modded one with 30K miles for 23K. I don't wan't to have to maintain a OLD jeep, but I can handle a newer one
I will reiterate this once more. This is regardless of age.

Also you HAVE to keep in mind a Jeep is not a regular car. If you're looking for something that you can shift into D and forget about it...move on.

ALWAYS pay attention to the gauges. Hell, hook up more gauges so you can tell trans temp, mpg...etc. You MUST do regular maintainance. Check fluids, every once in awhile check tire psi...etc.

Point is, a Jeep is not a regular car. They require someone that is willing to listen to, diagnose, fix, and maintain it. Make sure you know what you're getting into.

On another note...insurance is expensive as hell for teenagers. It's at $2,000 a year for me, although I'm sure you could get a better deal if you shopped around.
Also if you're going to buy one already modded, make sure it's done right. Research, research, and research. There's ALOT more to it than just throwing on a lift and tires.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Yeah, expect high insurance rates, no matter what. Especially on a Wrangler due to the lower safety ratings, and them being 4X4s. I'm 24, with one speeding ticket on my record now, and I pay about $1k a year for insurance.

If you're worried about "maintenance" on a Jeep, "older" or not, go with something else. Unless you buy a beat up and misused Jeep, maintenance will be like that to a new vehicle. Routine checks, fluid changes, pressure check and basic maintenance. Jeeps are not, "get in and go" vehicles. You need to grease the fittings and bushings every 3-5k (sometimes less depending on where you drive, and how you drive).

You can be asking for MAJOR trouble if you want to buy an already "modded" Wrangler, without knowing anything about a Wrangler at all, or even Jeeps in general. Remember, the more "add-ons" that are on the Wrangler, can also lead to a higher insurance cost too.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
While the newer JK Wranglers will not likely require as much parts repair/replacement as older Jeeps, they will still require basic regular maintenance, and a keen ear to listen for when things go awry. Jeeps are not bulletproof, so to speak.

I also caution you on buying an already modded Wrangler as a first vehicle, particularly if it is lifted. You really have to know what you are getting into, such that you need to know if the lift was done properly. Starting off with a stock Wrangler isn't particularly exciting, but it gives you a chance to learn about your vehicle and the mods you want, and make sure the mods are done right. The forum is here to help you with that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.