Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, so I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 with about 250k miles. This seems to happen whenever it's really cold or around freezing mark (32F). Whenever I try to start my jeep, it won't idle unless I give it some gas to keep the revs up otherwise the engine dies. Once I start it and give it gas for a few minutes it seems fine and will idle on its own. This has been happening for a while now, but like I said only happens when the engine and temperature are cold. Any thoughts on why this is happening or how to fix it will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
look at fuel pressure - use a gauge compare to spec or post here and someone will advise.

ECT - the temp the PCM is seeing requires a scanner but if no scanner tell us temp gauge working?

Maybe check for codes I am thinking an injector P020x a lean p0171 ECT sensor P0117 - easy fast inexpensive

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
look at fuel pressure - use a gauge compare to spec or post here and someone will advise.

ECT - the temp the PCM is seeing requires a scanner but if no scanner tell us temp gauge working?

Maybe check for codes I am thinking an injector P020x a lean p0171 ECT sensor P0117 - easy fast inexpensive
Thanks, when you say if the temp gauge is working, do you mean the engine temp gauge on the dash? If so yeah that works, usually sits at the half way mark when warmed up.

When you say check for codes, will any code reader or scanner work or do I need something specific? There's so many that range in prices so I'm wondering if something like this will work.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HyperTou...JPx9uTbfAa3jv1dpcB0aAjzREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Compared to this which is more expensive but seems like they are the same thing.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...zg0ZbZcmT0PBvKkVa8caAkTjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Also when you said check for codes, if I don't have a check engine light is it possible for those codes to still come up?

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
You do not need a scanner - try the key on off trick.

Yes you can have codes and CEL is off - will your CEL come on at every start @ 2seconds then go off?

I was questing at possible codes- don't know till we look.

Code readers and scanners are not the same. Ability is cost difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You do not need a scanner - try the key on off trick.

Yes you can have codes and CEL is off - will your CEL come on at every start @ 2seconds then go off?

I was questing at possible codes- don't know till we look.

Code readers and scanners are not the same. Ability is cost difference.
I'm not sure what the key on off trick is. I just tried starting my jeep and it didn't look like the cel came on and then go off when I started it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts