Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep WK Heat At Idle

791 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  PolkaPower
Hi,

I am still having this issue with the heat at Idle.

My mechanic is saying "there is a heat difference between the passenger side and drivers side." "This is normal."

At idle the heat only gets to 90 degrees 500 RPM but at 1200 RPM it gets to 130 degrees.

Is this normal?

Do Jeeps just not get hot at all during idle?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,592 Posts
More coolant flowing at a higher RPM is going to allow for more heat to get to the heater core, so yes, at idle, a vehicle won't have as much heat coming into the interior.
I think there is a blend door that often fails, that can cause the temperature difference between the passenger and drivers side.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of my Jeeps blow so hot at idle you'll sweat.
Somethings wrong. If the motor is 210* or near that, you should have nice hot heat.
I get that the heat might not be as hot at idle than if you were driving. But, it should not be blowing luke warm air during a remote start.

Is caddydaddy accurate but it should be hotter than luke warm. My wk idles at 500 rpm when it is warm but during a cold start is closer to 1000 rpm. Is that normal?

· Registered
24,257 Posts
I get that the heat might not be as hot at idle than if you were driving. But, it should not be blowing luke warm air during a remote start.

Is caddydaddy accurate but it should be hotter than luke warm. My wk idles at 500 rpm when it is warm but during a cold start is closer to 1000 rpm. Is that normal?
Yes. Higher idle at start is normal to heat up the 02 sensors faster. It runs in open loop mode(no sensors), after it warms up it runs in closed loop getting information from the sensors.
When the engine is at operating temperature, you should have hot as hell heat no matter what because its between 190-210* and that hot coolant is flowing through the heater core.
Going faster than idle won't make the heat any hotter unless the engine temp rises beyond normal operating temp.
500 is a tad low. 700 is around normal rpm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.