Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep WJ - 2001 oil leak

2K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Mr. Bitey 
#1 ·
Good day team I have a tiny leak that appears to be coming from the side of the engine passenger side. Is this the head gasket? I checked the oil dipstick and it looks clean but after the last oil change 3k miles I lost about 1 quart of oil. Was thinking about Lucas engine oil leak stop. Any thoughts and help/ advice would be appreciated. Trying to upload image now.

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
Font Line Parallel Document Monochrome

Reactions: 55555Jeep and LDWJ
#31 ·
Just a side comment. I used head gasket sealant and it completely clogged the radiator on my Crown Vic causing it to overheat bad. Just saying I personally got bit and cannot recommend using those type of products, especially with a single head engine. MUCH easier to change than a 4.7, trust me on that.

Reactions: 55555Jeep
#32 ·
I wouldn't use any of those stop leaks, there meant for emergency situations. One thing you could try is clean the block really good and use RTV gasket maker to try and seal it up on the outside. RTV will be messy and wont look great but probably better than using stop leak. The best option would be to replace the gasket though.

#33 ·
use RTV gasket maker to try and seal it up on the outside
I pulled this trick in a hotel parking lot in Colorado on a 1970 Volvo P1800E with a cracked freeze plug many years ago. I wasn't able to source the freeze plug locally, so I let it drip until it stopped while I dined, blasted it with brake clean, wiped clean/dry, goobered it up with RTV, then let it set while I entertained a bottle of whiskey in a cheap room. Drove home 1000+ miles over the next 2 days, didn't leak a drop. It of course was fixed properly at home. That was a beautiful car. Slow as molasses and many a tool was embedded in drywall over the D-Jetronic fuel injection, but she was gorgeous - never should have sold her.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.