Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day team I have a tiny leak that appears to be coming from the side of the engine passenger side. Is this the head gasket? I checked the oil dipstick and it looks clean but after the last oil change 3k miles I lost about 1 quart of oil. Was thinking about Lucas engine oil leak stop. Any thoughts and help/ advice would be appreciated. Trying to upload image now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Not sure what images you're talking about. I see two pictures that are the same picture.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Looks like a 4.0L, and looks like a minor seep from the valve cover gasket. Not too much to worry about, it is not terribly difficult to swap a new one in (I think, I have only done the 4.7 which is a big pain).

It is not unusual for these 20 year-old engines to consume oil. Myself, I would not use a stop leak product. Just check the oil regularly and add as needed. Look around for other leaks, like from the oil pan and perhaps the front and rear main seals. Some people report good anti-leak results using high mileage oil which may close up old seals.

Of course, some of the oil could be burning in the cylinder and going out the tailpipe ... That is harder to fix.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Good day team I have a tiny leak that appears to be coming from the side of the engine passenger side. Is this the head gasket? I checked the oil dipstick and it looks clean but after the last oil change 3k miles I lost about 1 quart of oil. Was thinking about Lucas engine oil leak stop. Any thoughts and help/ advice would be appreciated. Trying to upload image now.
Oil's cheap enough not to worry about tiny leaks.

Best keep it topped up though.

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
The image post limitation is to discourage spammers from joining just to show images of clickbait, new users from just posting garbage with no helpful information before they read the posts of others to understand how to make a good post for help. The idea is that after 25 posts, you might have gleaned how to make a good post for help. ...and probably also to discourage Catholic Priests from sharing images of naked little boys.

555, you've done well and the images are fine. You can delete the repeated post if you want.

As noted, it is very likely a leaking valve cover gasket. Not difficult to swap on the 4.0. To understand the rate of loss, grab a can of brake parts cleaner with the spray straw and spray around that area well. it will emulsify the leaking oil from that area and give you a clean visual area of comparison so that you can monitor how much is actually weeping. It would be unusual for a quart to be missing just from that gasket. As noted, there are probably other places where it is leaking such as the RMS, front crank seal or even the oil pan gasket and burning some is certainly possible. Those combined, could easily cause a quart loss over 3K miles but as little weep as the image shows, unlikely it is just from the VC gasket.

Also agreed not to use a stop leak for this issue. Clean it up first, crawl under there to see where else it is wet with oil and report back here.
As Delta wisely said, do keep it topped up.

Reactions: 55555Jeep

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
What's pictured is a 4.0L

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s a 4.0 many thanks. I try to clean it as best as I can. I am not savvy at all with cars it’s my first car. I will take the advice as mentioned above try to clean and provide feedback for added guidance. Many thanks as always!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Issues related to uploading images are an unfortunate sign of the times. Have a look at some of the Toyota or BMW forums. It's a shame what has happened to the content. Better to keep quality at the forefront. Please don't lower the bar. It's simply better that questionable posts be restricted. It drove me ballistic, however my posts were moderated and eventually life resumed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3rd pic shows oil left front and back in the middle of that seal section. Is that considered the head gasket? But it’s just oil no anti freeze. Oil is super clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 ZJ 4.0 / 42RE / NP242 / 4.56 Gears / HPD30 Truetrac / F8.8 Trac-Lok / 2x6 Sliders / Fully Skidded
1,493 Posts
I have a similar weep / seep of oil from the head gasket in the same place on my 1996 4.0.

My father in law, who is an automotive engineer and designed head gaskets for a time, says that the head bolts sometimes loosen up on higher mileage engines, and retorquing them would be a good idea. I haven't gotten around to it but plan on doing it someday.

The area that is leaking is where the oil returns to the sump from the head and where the push rods live. Not a high pressure location for oil, coolant or combustion gases and shouldn't cause an major issues beyond slight oil loss and making a mess. See the attached picture of my spare 4.0 block.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the feedback. I still am not able to see images they are blocked on my side. But I look forward to seeing the similarities. Thank you again

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Definatley a valve cover SEEP. Super easy to change the gasket, if you just cant stand it, but I wouldnt run around with your hair on fire at this point yet...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought the valve cover was that blue gasket ? And the next lower one was head gasket? But I cleaned it as best as I could and yep it’s leaking so slightly only from that location.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I found this you tube video and this guy is changing the top gasket.

The valve cover gasket. So I took a deeper look at mine. Move the hoses and it's good. I had this done a while ago as well. My leak seems to be one level down. Is that the head gasket? That suppose to be metal no rubber right? Thank you again for your guidance.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts